Same sex marriage debate...

General Social Discussion
User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Same sex marriage debate...

Unread post by stryker » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:46 pm

Maybe we should start with female same sex marriage first and when that becomes normal move on to the PB's? We all know its only the chicks who give a damn about being married anyhow....


User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24554
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 209 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:13 pm

Earl wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:04 pm
kafta wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:45 pm
I am sick of same sex marriage's, I occasionally wan't some different sex positions.
Like my dad says the sex has always been pretty much the same.
Doing it wrong Earl..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
VanillaThunder
Member
Member
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:57 am
Location: Perth, WA
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:02 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 1:51 pm
But will it change people's view in regard to life in general...are we going to be a nation of multiculturalism or will we be known as a nation who accept ssm easily as we have been man / woman married society since day dot..
In other words are we going to become "permiscuous" as a nation to other nations..
No offence mate but are you using the forum as a sounding board for a school project or something?
To answer your question though, is being a multicultural society and accepting of same sex marriage mutually exclusive? To me it would seem like they go hand in hand rather than being at odds with each other. Allowing same sex marriage is a progressive step, one which doesn't suit our country at all given our leaders' attitudes towards the environment, technology and our well-documented refugee policies.
Allowing it wouldn't make us look promiscuous in the slightest, but not allowing it would and continues to make us look backward and prehistoric.
The fact that we're paying $120 million for a non-binding opinion poll (by our democratically elected politicians) is an insult to anyone with their brains outside their wallets.

How our country handles this determines whether we will be applauded or ridiculed/laughed at, and after all, aren't we the land of a fair go?

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:38 pm

I am not fussed, and will likely vote yes. However I hope the government puts more funding into the family court given that they already have massive backlogs. Will likely lead to an increase the number of divorces that need to be mediated as there have already been gay couples that have gone overseas and married, only to find when things go pear shaped back here, they can't divorce in Australia

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by Earl » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:41 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:13 pm
Earl wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:04 pm
kafta wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:45 pm
I am sick of same sex marriage's, I occasionally wan't some different sex positions.
Like my dad says the sex has always been pretty much the same.
Doing it wrong Earl..
You sound just like my wife.


User avatar
Black'n'White
Member
Member
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat 02 Mar, 2013 6:52 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:42 pm

From me it will likely be a ÿes", though there is a part of me that wants to vote no, but for a different reason than most anybody else.

I honestly dont like the way the militant left goes about their business, how they are intentionally inflammatory and often insensitive. I personally dont want to give these muppets a platform to springboard off.

I wish there was an option for the issue of SSM to succeed, yet dump the lefty tards on their heads.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 15803
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:59 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:13 pm
Earl wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:04 pm
kafta wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:45 pm
I am sick of same sex marriage's, I occasionally wan't some different sex positions.
Like my dad says the sex has always been pretty much the same.
Doing it wrong Earl..
Maybe he should try sitting on his hand for a few minutes beforehand next time around?
Cause there's no time for fussing or fighting my friend, but baby I'm amazed at the hate that you can send;
And you... Painted my entire world, and I don't have the turpentine to clean what you have soiled, and I won't forget it.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:13 pm

Earl wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:04 pm
kafta wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:45 pm
I am sick of same sex marriage's, I occasionally wan't some different sex positions.
Like my dad says the sex has always been pretty much the same.
Hmm, interesting forum to ponder sexual positions. I remember listening to JJJ one night and I swear so many guys were ringing in advocating "Pegging" as being worthwhile.

Personally I am not game, but hey they seemed to enjoy it.

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:35 pm

Black'n'White wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:42 pm
From me it will likely be a ÿes", though there is a part of me that wants to vote no, but for a different reason than most anybody else.

I honestly dont like the way the militant left goes about their business, how they are intentionally inflammatory and often insensitive. I personally dont want to give these muppets a platform to springboard off.

I wish there was an option for the issue of SSM to succeed, yet dump the lefty tards on their heads.
That is not a different reason to most, that is exactly one of the angles that is being pursued by those politicising the debate. They want to make it about a stand against the "loony left" rather than a question about whether or not gay people should be able to get married and have it called a marriage. Far easier for people to rationalise their "no" vote as palatable when they feel they're just sticking it up some fringe element rather than actually dealing with the moral choice raised by the question.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:35 pm

Go You Good Things wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 2:36 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:18 am
No one has considered the People's Front of Judea or the Judean's People's Front's position...splitters..

Or Stan's right to be called a Woman..
. . . and the eventual irony of it "gestating in a box"

Nice to have a laugh Geo, in these dark times when men go around saying NI to old ladies.
And besides . . . . apart from health, sanitation, roads and the aqueduct, what did the bloody Romans ever do for us ?? Get me some wolf nipple chips. They're lovely while they're hot.
What's so funny about Bigus Dickus?

User avatar
Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 10349
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:46 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:42 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:50 pm
If there's no logic or some semblance of factual evidence, then no, not all opinions are equal
We'll have to agree to disagree - opinions have nothing to do with facts. That's what makes them opinions.

opinion |əˈpɪnjən| noun
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

And this is why 'bigot' has become a popular term in this debate

bigot |ˈbɪɡət|noun
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions

As I said earlier, vote whichever way you choose, but be respectful of people voting the other way - they have just as much right to an opinion.
Yes opinions are subjective, but if there's logic applied people should at least be able to see the point of view the other side a little more clearly.

Sure, people have a right to an opinion, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2969
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:53 pm

Abraham wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:24 am
formerguest wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:52 pm
Abraham wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:43 pm
Guess im not crazy after all ...
Fanatic is a fair description though, as you are like a poorly fed dog with a bone on the topics of religion and capitalism.
For such an emotive topic, there was not one insult in this entire thread ... until you came along.

Your a sad person.

I was describing you upon bringing up "crazy" and the further fervour you have shown in this topic in the wake of others past well contributed to, so if you feel that you do not display as such and therefore find it insulting, I apologise.

I came along early in the thread and pointed out one of your pet hates, in that the Howard government had already interfered and created the situation that led to this thread by altering the marriage act to circumvent the court and states. I am certainly sad though that the conservative majority abused their power that was gained on the back of bodies and the rescuers on a ship called Tampa.

We as a collective are paying a hell of a lot higher cost than simply one hundred and twenty odd million dollars to temporarily halt a vote of all the varied elected officials, just to placate a few remaining powerful hard liners clinging to their past.
Last edited by formerguest on Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 10349
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:57 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 3:08 pm
Could someone explain to me why its wrong for those who are against it to feel they don't have freedom of speech or expression, yet thats already what is happening to people who want this law to pass, and that seems to be ok. Double standards.
Are people who are against it being told they can't speak? or do they just feel that they are being persecuted for their opinion?

User avatar
Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 10349
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:57 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:35 pm
Go You Good Things wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 2:36 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:18 am
No one has considered the People's Front of Judea or the Judean's People's Front's position...splitters..

Or Stan's right to be called a Woman..
. . . and the eventual irony of it "gestating in a box"

Nice to have a laugh Geo, in these dark times when men go around saying NI to old ladies.
And besides . . . . apart from health, sanitation, roads and the aqueduct, what did the bloody Romans ever do for us ?? Get me some wolf nipple chips. They're lovely while they're hot.
What's so funny about Bigus Dickus?
He has a wife you know.....

voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by voice of reason » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm

Tigerdave wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:46 pm
Yes opinions are subjective, but if there's logic applied people should at least be able to see the point of view the other side a little more clearly.
Sure, people have a right to an opinion, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism
You're confusing opinion with debate - there is no logic or fact involved in opinion. Intolerance or criticism of another's opinion is garden variety bigotry - something we've seen in spades from both sides.

If you'd stopped at "Yes opinions are subjective. Sure, people have a right to an opinion" we'd be in total agreement ;) Why is it so hard to respect that people are entitled to their opinion?
Suffering supporter since 1967

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2969
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:41 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:46 pm
Yes opinions are subjective, but if there's logic applied people should at least be able to see the point of view the other side a little more clearly.
Sure, people have a right to an opinion, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism
You're confusing opinion with debate - there is no logic or fact involved in opinion. Intolerance or criticism of another's opinion is garden variety bigotry - something we've seen in spades from both sides.

If you'd stopped at "Yes opinions are subjective. Sure, people have a right to an opinion" we'd be in total agreement ;) Why is it so hard to respect that people are entitled to their opinion?
But an opinion can have "weight" behind it to carry a point of view, or it can be based on little experience, education or nothing at all and thus simply be meaningless words.

User avatar
Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 10349
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:44 pm

voice of reason wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 9:46 pm
Yes opinions are subjective, but if there's logic applied people should at least be able to see the point of view the other side a little more clearly.
Sure, people have a right to an opinion, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism
You're confusing opinion with debate - there is no logic or fact involved in opinion. Intolerance or criticism of another's opinion is garden variety bigotry - something we've seen in spades from both sides.

If you'd stopped at "Yes opinions are subjective. Sure, people have a right to an opinion" we'd be in total agreement ;) Why is it so hard to respect that people are entitled to their opinion?
I disagree, I think in some instances opinions need to be backed up by some logic. We aren't talking about a favourite movie or band here. This is essentially a debate about equal rights.

Who's saying people can't have an opinion here?? Again, have your opinion, but if you voice it, don't be shocked if people question it.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5290
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:34 pm

I think it should be compulsory for Gays to get married, why should heteros be the only ones to have to go through it.

Seriously il be voting yes.who ever gave a patent on the word Marriage to heterosexual couples. It's a word kiddies nothing else,
Stop bedwetting and let others do what makes them happy, you don't own the word
So chill out , there's more things to knot up your nickers about, other than this.
Actually there is some people who shouldn't have been able to marry....the parents of .little Kimmy, in North Korea. That was a success wasn't it.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”