Spain/Catalonia Referendum

General Social Discussion
WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 75 times

Spain/Catalonia Referendum

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 6:35 pm

Could somebody please explain what this referendum thing is between Catalonia and Spain. I don't know much about it and all I hear was that one of my favourite soccer teams (FC Barcelona) would leave the La Liga and join a different league if Catalonia separate from Spain.

I have tried to look into it but I don't really understand what they are talking about.

Could someone please explain simple (13yo language) what is happening between Spain and Catalonia.

Thanks so much, much appreciated

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:18 pm

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 7:21 pm

Splitters....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

bathursttiger
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 8:10 pm

Seems like the Catalonian people want a separate country away from Spain.
The same thing was happening in the Basque region a few years ago, the separatist group were called ETA.
They were a terrorist organisation who did a lot of bombing around Spain to push their cause similar to the IRA.
There are 17 regions in Spain (I suppose they are similar to our States), controlled by a central Government.

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 12:04 am

I wouldn't worry too much. What are they going to do - beat up on Espanyol and Real Sociedad all season? Nothing is going to happen either with independence or La Liga but maybe consider transferring your support to one of the little guys - supporting Barca is like supporting the Broncos!

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:17 am

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 12:04 am
I wouldn't worry too much. What are they going to do - beat up on Espanyol and Real Sociedad all season? Nothing is going to happen either with independence or La Liga but maybe consider transferring your support to one of the little guys - supporting Barca is like supporting the Broncos!
Well I have no family who go for any team, I have never been to Spain, so I may as well go for a winning team, so that narrows it down to Real Madrid and Barcelona and I prefer Messi pver a Ronaldo so I support Barcelona!

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:44 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sociedad are Basque. Girona and Espanyol are the other two Catalonian sides. Let Barca leave the Primera Division, banish Real Madrid (don't care how they do it,) and let the other clubs fight it out in a proper competitive league. Barcelona y Real pueden chupar mis bolas!

Los Vascos have been chasing independence for ages as well, so much so they blew people up and it achieved nothing. Funny how these things only really flare up when the country is economically in the poo. Once the country bounces back and aren't reliant on Basque country's industry & natural resources and Catalonia's tourism the talks will die down.

The Basque, Galicia and Catalonians all have autonomous recognition in the Spanish constitution, not sure why they need to push it much farther.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:46 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:17 am
Yossarian wrote:
Well I have no family who go for any team, I have never been to Spain, so I may as well go for a winning team, so that narrows it down to Real Madrid and Barcelona and I prefer Messi pver a Ronaldo so I support Barcelona!
Why not Bilbao? Only team there that properly practice Cantera policy. For such a small catchment area of Spain they are always competitive, not to mention San Mames is an absolutely beautiful stadium.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 10:15 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:44 am
Yossarian wrote:
Sociedad are Basque. Girona and Espanyol are the other two Catalonian sides. Let Barca leave the Primera Division, banish Real Madrid (don't care how they do it,) and let the other clubs fight it out in a proper competitive league. Barcelona y Real pueden chupar mis bolas!

Los Vascos have been chasing independence for ages as well, so much so they blew people up and it achieved nothing. Funny how these things only really flare up when the country is economically in the poo. Once the country bounces back and aren't reliant on Basque country's industry & natural resources and Catalonia's tourism the talks will die down.

The Basque, Galicia and Catalonians all have autonomous recognition in the Spanish constitution, not sure why they need to push it much farther.
I knew I'd get the teams wrong but I couldn't be arsed fact checking that time of night aftef a few WT rare breeds...

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 10:21 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 8:17 am
Yossarian wrote:
But supporting a struggling team makes the wins so much more special but I probably don't need to tell anyone on this forum that. What about Athletic Madrid or plucky Eibar? Move away from the herd and strike your own course!

tiger05premier
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by tiger05premier » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 12:21 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 6:35 pm
Could somebody please explain what this referendum thing is between Catalonia and Spain. I don't know much about it and all I hear was that one of my favourite soccer teams (FC Barcelona) would leave the La Liga and join a different league if Catalonia separate from Spain.

I have tried to look into it but I don't really understand what they are talking about.

Could someone please explain simple (13yo language) what is happening between Spain and Catalonia.

Good question Westben

Didn't know anything about it myself but understand now after reading inks link

It's good to get some understanding of what you are watching on the news

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 1:54 pm

The Kurdistan referendum is the one that should be getting attention.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 2:47 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 1:54 pm
It won't though because for some reason the West doesn't support their cause.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 9:55 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 2:47 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 05 Oct, 2017 1:54 pm
It won't though because for some reason the West doesn't support their cause.
The west is the only supporter of their cause!
Ok Middle east 101 (which probably gets overwritten in 201) everyone else in the middle east hate the Kurds. Turkey hate the Kurds, Syria, everyone. I don't think it is about anything else then people close to survival bearing out old grudges, more racism then based on religion.

So the US set up a no fly zone over north Iraq and the Kurds grew tremendously. They are close too a self sufficient state. Hence they want their own area and to be free of the Iraqi failed state (or why America should not elect an idiot president (lesson not learned)). Iraq does not want that and countries with Kurdish minorities don't want that (for fear that they will break away.).

If it does not cause WW3 I would very much like to see an Independent Kurdish state.

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 11:07 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Wed 04 Oct, 2017 6:35 pm

Catalonia was the center of the Spanish Civil War that started back in 1937. It was a strongly communist area that was ultimately defeated by the fascists. After the war the Spanish leader Franco, outlawed a lot of Catalonian culture and did everything he could to suppress the people in the area.

In 2006 a vote in the Spanish parliament gave Catalonia a lot more power than other states in Spain

In 2014 the stat voted to become independent

In 2017 the state voted on what sort of government it wanted.

Return to “General Discussion”