Mugabe overthrown in Zimbabwe?

General Social Discussion
formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Mugabe overthrown in Zimbabwe?

Post by formerguest » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 1:22 am

Seeing reports of a military coup in Zimbabwe. Though the guy had a hand in rightfully fighting to get his people's lands from the foreigners that took it from them, he has long ruled the country with an iron fist and taken it to the almost the point of collapse.

It was formerly a majestic country with mineral and natural assets, as well as a booming tourism industry. I have wanted to visit those lands for some time now, so I hope that this despot is gone and the coming years will allow safe travel in an again prosperous country.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 3:01 am

I've been there many times, including recently. There are still lots of tourists there, mainly in the Vic falls area near the Botswana border. I never had any reason to feel unsafe there. I'd definitely recommend you go if you get a chance, especially if you like elephants, hippos and birds. Lots of unique birds in Zim. You can also get yourself a 20 billion dollar note for a few bucks off street hawkers.

As for Mugabe, about time.

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 3:05 am

Good riddance. Should have happened 30 years ago

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:10 am

As usual, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Probably started off with the best of intentions for his people but once he got on the gravy train there was never getting off of his own volition.

About time, hopefully things turn around and the country becomes prosperous once again.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:42 am

Zimbabwe white farmers will still get slaughtered even if this madman is out of office

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 8:57 am

Onthebus wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:42 am
Zimbabwe white farmers will still get slaughtered even if this madman is out of office
The properties should have been transformed into co-ops with the white farmers as respected well paid managers for a few decades, including partial compensation for buildings. Only partial compo due to the history of their involvement using cheap labour and probably free land originally.

Easy to burn bridges both sides.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:28 pm

Mugabe has been punished by the military for banishing another of their cronies. You cut the head off the snake and another 2 grow.
Unfortunately it will not change anything for the general population, just change who gets to stick their snout deep into the trough