Oils

General Social Discussion
happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: Oils

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 7:39 pm

Last time I saw The Oils live was in Gladstone about 4 months before Pete joined Labour

It was funny he bagged the Yarwun Alumina plant which was under construction at the time and probably about 20 % of the fans booed him as they were Yarwun contractors / workers

Everyone was up and rocking it out and loving it within 2 songs and all had been forgotten

All except one person , my sister in law

She was fast asleep LOL

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 156 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 8:58 am

The Oils were a band I've grown into as I've become older. Didn't mind them in my teens but I was more interested in listening to grunge and metal than anything else.

Many of their songs tell great stories. The Wittenoom asbestos mines in Blue Sky Mining, European colonisation in Short Memories, Armistice Day speaks for itself.

It takes great skill to write songs about these sorts of subjects and write great music to it.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:40 am

Love the 'Óils' but saw them live at the Northern(Great Northern?) Hotel in Byron back in the 1980's and they were terrible.We drove down from the Gold Coast for the night and it was a shocker of an evening,they performed in that big barn like room the Hotel had back then,Garrett was pissed or doped or both and the packed crowd were yahooing and carrying on where you couldn't hear properly.
That was the first time the four of us had seen them live and we were just shaking our heads that a top flight Oz Band could perform like that.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:58 am

They still got it

:master:

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 8:51 am

Saw them at Blacktown RSL for $20. I would still rank it as one of my best concerts ever.

People may also remember Wave Aid, that was such an awesome concert... everyone was volunteers. So everyone just crowd surfed and got on shoulders, I saw a security guard just shrug his shoulders "hey I am not paid for this". Absolute Child on the big screen just egging everyone on.... "PLEASE GOD"!

Love them as a band. While I can say Peter Garrett disappointed me in Labor, he gave it a go.

to my mind they outdo REM and other similar bands. When triple M voted the dead heart as Australia's Nr1 all time rock song it said something about rock. Sure we love ACDC and nothing will take away a great bass thumping song, but to see the meaning here it is far greater.

Munk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 8:27 pm

I can understand the affection that people have for the band as they wrote some good tunes but personally I cant stand them. Bunch of whiners. Having Butler with them would have only made the whole thing more tedious.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 8:51 pm

Colour me surprised.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Munk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 10:06 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 8:51 pm
Colour me surprised.
Always following me around trying to score points. Are you upset that I challenged your uneducated posts in an earlier thread? Grow up son.

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 3:55 am

In spite of the total lack of commercial success in the US, they are surprisingly well regarded. I have heard Beds Are Burning and Dead Heart on the radio. They were even on the music rotation at Walmart Stores for a while.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 6:43 am

They are good, but Garrots foray into politics took a fair bit of the shine off the band for me and now the songs seem limp. I guess it was like dating your dream girl only to find out that she is a dud.

I still think bands like (no specific order) You am I, powder finger, hoodoo gurus, Aussie crawl, men at work, dragon, inxs, LRB, divinyls, ac/dc, h & c, cold chisel, the church ...............
are more credible than midnight oil given they never sold out. Which in my opinion is what garret did to,a,degree.

While I wouldn't pay to see them anymore they do put on a great show.
Last edited by Tiger Come Lately on Fri 24 Nov, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 7:24 am

Munk wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 10:06 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Colour me surprised.
Always following me around trying to score points. Are you upset that I challenged your uneducated posts in an earlier thread? Grow up son.
Not really, just not surprised that you don't like a band that is politically active and doesn't align with your position on the political spectrum. I can understand especially when Garrett's foray into politics probably cheapened his political activism a little as well.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:30 am

You all forget what Rod Hirst stated, they were not Peter's songs but his, Peter was mainly the front man as far as the groups was concerned.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

cochise
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by cochise » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 2:48 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:30 am
You all forget what Rod Hirst stated, they were not Peter's songs but his, Peter was mainly the front man as far as the groups was concerned.
The problem I have is it was Garrett's voice singing those words and a lot of what he was saying I agreed with. I would find it hard to listen to him sing those songs after the compromises he HAD to make to function in a major party.

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 4:20 pm

Does Garrett get a lifetime political pension?

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 5:03 pm

Munk wrote:
Thu 23 Nov, 2017 10:06 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Colour me surprised.
Trust me. No ones following you around. Last time I replied to something you posted, you said pretty much the same thing to me as you're saying to CB. Lots of posters have been on here a long time and do happen to comment on multiple threads.
CB's been on here for years. I've noticed he doesn't bother posting to "score points". The worst thing you could accuse him of is "calling a spade a spade".
Last edited by Tigerdon on Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:08 pm

cochise wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 2:48 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:30 am
The problem I have is it was Garrett's voice singing those words and a lot of what he was saying I agreed with. I would find it hard to listen to him sing those songs after the compromises he HAD to make to function in a major party.
Though Garrett was in politics and led the Nuclear Disarmament Party he was not a lifetime political animal, he was essentially a rock singer. It does not surprise me that he was not up to the argy bargy of strongly sticking to one's principles once in the ALP. It is an obstinate animal that holds out. The more principled of the ALP ministers have a lifetime of campaigning on issues thus will fight it out to the end - come hell or high water. I honour those who do carry on because they sacrifice a lot of personal and political life. The cause becomes more important than themselves.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Return to “General Discussion”