That killer instinct

General Social Discussion
happy tiger

That killer instinct

Post by happy tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:59 pm

I often wonder why some people have it and some don't

My daughter was at rep trials for netball yesterday and another parent's daughter said she was as good a player as her daughter but lacks that drive to do whatever it takes to win/succeed

My son is the same he loves the game of rugby league but just doesn't have the absolute drive to succeed at the game , despite probably being as talented as many others

So as usual , their is a question at the end , why don't some have the killer want to succeed and how do you develop it ??

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:12 pm

Happy I think it comes out for everyone in the right context mate, but it has to be driven first and foremost by the indivuals desire for success.

I never had the talent or the drive in sport. In other areas of my life though I would practice basic skills for hours and hours to make sure I was the best I could be, I think the hard thing for young people is figuring out what is going to make them tick in that way.

It could be something else entirely, just speaking from my own experience and my interactions at work with 100 or so young people aged around 20.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:15 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:59 pm

My daughter was at rep trials for netball yesterday and another parent's daughter said she was as good a player as her daughter but lacks that drive to do whatever it takes to win/succeed

My son is the same he loves the game of rugby league but just doesn't have the absolute drive to succeed at the game , despite probably being as talented as many others

So as usual , their is a question at the end , why don't some have the killer want to succeed and how do you develop it ??
Too many cuddles from mum ...
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:29 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:12 pm
Happy I think it comes out for everyone in the right context mate, but it has to be driven first and foremost by the indivuals desire for success.

I never had the talent or the drive in sport. In other areas of my life though I would practice basic skills for hours and hours to make sure I was the best I could be, I think the hard thing for young people is figuring out what is going to make them tick in that way.

It could be something else entirely, just speaking from my own experience and my interactions at work with 100 or so young people aged around 20.
I work with a lot of young kids and try to say to them if you are going to do something do it to your best of your ability every time

Whether you are good or not doesn't matter , but to have the pride in what you've done and know you couldn't have done anything more

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:29 pm
old man tiger wrote:

I work with a lot of young kids and try to say to them if you are going to do something do it to your best of your ability every time

Whether you are good or not doesn't matter , but to have the pride in what you've done and know you couldn't have done anything more
When kids get to a certain age You tell them the truth !
No point mollycoddling them ..

Just like You see some kids playing footy that should be learning real estate .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:50 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:38 pm
happy tiger wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Did that , now he is a Cowboys supporter :lol:

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:54 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:50 pm
hobbo wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 11:38 pm
happy tiger wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Did that , now he is a Cowboys supporter :lol:
:roll

My young bloke trains in his Panther Cubs Jersey !
Can't blame him really :lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:32 am

Just because you're good at something doesn't mean it's important to you.
You can only make yourself happy.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 5:28 am

Some kids find their passion early...as gall said just cause youre good at something doesnt mean its important.
Some dont find their thing til much later in life

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:10 am

gallagher wrote:
Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:32 am
Just because you're good at something doesn't mean it's important to you.
You can only make yourself happy.
Bernard Tomic comes to mind.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 10:13 am

You have either got it or you don't.......if you want to succeed in anything,you have to have the want and interest.....no good trying to be the best at something if you haven't got the ability.....doing your BEST to achieve something .....is an honest outcome....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:19 am

I have it...and i'll use it one day up Gladstone way
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:26 am

If everybody was the same in this world, it would be a bloody boring place...

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:28 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:19 am
:roll
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:45 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:59 pm

I think everyone likes to be the best and win.
However there is the question as to whether a person meets all the difficult requirements to reach the top.

- Nartrual ability and talent is essential.
- Good character should form the platform.
- Dedication and bloody mid set to the task at hand
- willingness to take advice and learn
- leadership qualities and sense of control
- Healthy mind and body
- Killer instinct comes in there somewhere ..... but sometimes can be counterproductive as you can loose the sense of control which you must maintain.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:17 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:19 am
You still got that box of dynamite GEO....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 2:16 pm

Parents play a big role in which type of sportsman the kids become. I'd say less than 33% of kids are playing sport for themselves, and the rest are simply trying to have fun & make their parents proud of them.

Through coaching, one thing I identified early is that talent doesnt lead to success and there is a clear distinction between the kids who are 'playing sport' and those who are 'competing to win'.

Happy, if your kids arent playing sport for themselves, they may never have the competitive approach you are looking for. If they are, give them access to mentors who will display good work ethic away from the park and are humble.

Dont be that parent who only talks about the glory boys. Talk about those boys at your club who stayed back after training and would do extra sprints etc while you were having a beer in the club house. I always remember Darren Smith doing this and we would always be telling him he is making us look bad. Well, we know the rest of that story...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 2:34 pm

It’s hard as a parent to find the line between supportive comments and criticism of kids performance.
I often look back and regret saying things which may have taken some fun out of things for my kids.
I mean they were said in right spirit but it’s hard because you never really know how things are taken ..... and in a way could be interpreted as pushing too much. I think it’s best to leave that to the coach and as a parent, just stay positive and supportive.