Herald now charging for most content on their digital site

General Social Discussion
Post Reply
goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Herald now charging for most content on their digital site

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:03 am

The SMH is now gouging money to read the digital version of their paper, they now have even less than the Telegraph that is available if you don’t subscribe.. All RL news was blocked this morning.,


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 28461
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:34 am

Been that way for a while I think

ABC news is still free if you can cop the left wing slant.
It's been my homepage after SMH started charging... I usually browse some headlines but don't hang around

User avatar
Golden_Boots
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:29 am

Post by Golden_Boots » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 6:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:34 am
Been that way for a while I think

ABC news is still free if you can cop the left wing slant.
I tried but I couldn't tolerate it. How can so many journos be that out of touch with reality? not that ive found a viable alternative mind you. What a wasteland.

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40155
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:27 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:03 am
The SMH is now gouging money to read the digital version of their paper, they now have even less than the Telegraph that is available if you don’t subscribe.. All RL news was blocked this morning.,
Gouging ??

Didn't realize that editors , journalists , support staff etc worked for free

Don't take this personally GCT , but there was a day when we all paid for the news and bought these things called newspapers

Society seems to think they can take everything for free now

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:30 am

Exactly. This is capitalism! Why should anyone give anything away?

Alternatively, try putting your iPhone into private browsing mode for a suggestion from left-field.


User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:36 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:03 am
The SMH is now gouging money to read the digital version of their paper, they now have even less than the Telegraph that is available if you don’t subscribe.. All RL news was blocked this morning.,
Canberra Times normally have most of the same articles.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks
I usually browse the digital form to see if there’s anything interesting and if there is ,
I buy the paper

I just hate paying anything to Rupert and his shonky mates
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm

trumper wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:30 am
Exactly. This is capitalism! Why should anyone give anything away?

Alternatively, try putting your iPhone into private browsing mode for a suggestion from left-field.
Because I don’t want to pay for it :lol:

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue 02 May, 2017 1:54 pm

Post by FreddyK » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:25 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm
trumper wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:30 am
Exactly. This is capitalism! Why should anyone give anything away?

Alternatively, try putting your iPhone into private browsing mode for a suggestion from left-field.
Because I don’t want to pay for it :lol:
Sorry you feel that way .... journalists, who are real people, need to be paid.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:33 pm

They shouldn’t hang around grubs like Murdoch then
Is that true that they are real people??Hhhhmmm!
Does that apply to all of them.
From most of the posts concerning journalists on this forum , I wouldn’t have thought so. Lol

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:49 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:33 pm
They shouldn’t hang around grubs like Murdoch then
Is that true that they are real people??Hhhhmmm!
Does that apply to all of them.
From most of the posts concerning journalists on this forum , I wouldn’t have thought so. Lol
You do understand that the paper you commented on has npothing to do with Murdoch ?? Perhaps you should fork out the money because more reading might be helpful

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 4:24 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:49 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:33 pm
They shouldn’t hang around grubs like Murdoch then
Is that true that they are real people??Hhhhmmm!
Does that apply to all of them.
From most of the posts concerning journalists on this forum , I wouldn’t have thought so. Lol
You do understand that the paper you commented on has npothing to do with Murdoch ?? Perhaps you should fork out the money because more reading might be helpful
Sorry to disappoint younBoony, but I do know that Murdoch owns the Tele,
It’s just that I think that Murdoch is a bigger grub than most in that business.
And a lot here have posted posts saying the same thing about Tele Journalists. I’m not saying that tits true, but it’s a common belief at times :D

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 4:55 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:25 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm
trumper wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:30 am
Exactly. This is capitalism! Why should anyone give anything away?

Alternatively, try putting your iPhone into private browsing mode for a suggestion from left-field.
Because I don’t want to pay for it :lol:
Sorry you feel that way .... journalists, who are real people, need to be paid.
I think sighting Rothfield as an example weakens your argument somewhat
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Roar Power
Member
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 6:16 am

Post by Roar Power » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 4:58 pm

The incognito window should provide full readability.

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40155
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 1:37 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 4:55 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:25 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:20 pm
trumper wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 10:30 am
Exactly. This is capitalism! Why should anyone give anything away?

Alternatively, try putting your iPhone into private browsing mode for a suggestion from left-field.
Because I don’t want to pay for it :lol:
Sorry you feel that way .... journalists, who are real people, need to be paid.
I think sighting Rothfield as an example weakens your argument somewhat
Rothfield is a tow truck driver , not a journalist

Abraham
Member
Member
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Abraham » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:44 am

outline.com

Just type in the URL of the article and read to your hearts content.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 2:15 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:34 am
Been that way for a while I think

ABC news is still free if you can cop the left wing slant.
It's been my homepage after SMH started charging... I usually browse some headlines but don't hang around
Meh, the ABC has become far more right wing lately. Occasionally you will see a good article, but the left wingers were fired ages ago.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17519
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:41 pm

RIP Herald.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Post Reply