Defibs/AEDs in the workplace - no brainer

General Social Discussion
Mccarry

Defibs/AEDs in the workplace - no brainer

Post by Mccarry » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey Fellow WestsTigers fans,

I have come across a petition that is seeking to make AED's (cheap portable defibrillators) mandatory in the Australian work places. As a tigers fan, I often worry about my heart health and hence I think I would benefit from a change like this. Have a quick look as it may save you or someone you care about if we all come together on this one.

https://www.australianhearts.com/petition
  • Some 23,000 to 33,000 Australians are estimated to suffer a sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) each year
      For each minute that passes without treatment, the chance of survival is reduced by 10%, therefore a 10 minute “window of opportunity” to act
        The average ambulance response times in Australia, whilst exceptional on a global scale is between 8-12 minutes
          Overall Survival of SCA is estimated to be between 9% - 12%
            Survival climbs to above 50% when CPR and Defibrillation is applied within 3 minutes
              An AED in the workplace is by far the best way to ensure Defibrillation occurs within 3 minutes
            The campaign also points out some other interesting numbers
            • 4 time more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all four most common cancers combined
                16 times more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all road fatalities
                  300 times more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all fire related incidents
                As a country we have done great work around sunscreen in the workplace, great work around driver safety etc, great work around fire extinguishers in the workplace. Seems pretty straightforward we need to get our priorities right and focus on all us Tigers fans with damaged hearts (I note we are quickly recovering lately) by making our workplaces safer.

A quick google of AED's suggests they are between $2000 and $3000.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Is this a no brainer?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 2:37 pm

Weve just in the last few months had some installed at some of our sites at work.

$2/3k for a life? Its a no brainer

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:33 pm

innsaneink wrote:
                Wed 11 Apr, 2018 2:37 pm
                Weve just in the last few months had some installed at some of our sites at work.

Nice one Ink! Did you sign the petition?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:38 pm

Mccarry wrote:
                Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:33 pm
                innsaneink wrote:

If the WTs sign (or develop) an 80% plus goal kicker we won't need de-fib's.
                in Ivan we distrust

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:40 pm

Mccarry wrote:
                Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:33 pm
                innsaneink wrote:

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 4:49 pm

i signed in too. I've done the resus training for de-fib's on surf patrol. good initiative.
                they make a massive difference.
                in Ivan we distrust

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 6:14 pm

I totally agree,awareness of the benefits of defibrillators and how easy they are to use should be made more public and common knowledge.
                While the company I work with have trained a number of people in first aid they have been reluctant to supply a defibrillator at our work place over the past ten years,recently an elderly employee collapsed and suffering a heart attack at the end of a 12 hour shift,fortunately colleagues were able to apply cpr and borrow a defibrillator from a neighbouring business that saved this mans life,within a week a defibrillator was purchased by my employer after this incident.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 6:20 pm

After one saved Kerry Packer had donated a lot. That was some time ago ...and he is dead now. Can’t see Locky chipping in much. He’s still out on the town trying to find someone to marry him
                in Ivan we distrust

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 6:36 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
                Wed 11 Apr, 2018 6:20 pm
                After one saved Kerry Packer had donated a lot. That was some time ago ...and he is dead now. Can’t see Locky chipping in much. He’s still out on the town trying to find someone to marry him
                Yeah, I think he ensured every ambo carried one, amazing to think they all didnt have them before that....
                Packer Whackers

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:32 pm

It was good to get them in the ambulance but considering traffic and distance in Australia its pretty rare than an ambulance can get to you in time. They are cheaper than the fleet of fire extinguishers that every workplace has and yet there are 300x more people dying from cardiac arrest than fires.

I have been sharing this petition with friends and family. So many have signed up. Its been gaining momentum which is cool

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:34 pm

I just signed. Good initiative. We have these at work, hopefully we won't ever use them but good insurance given the number of middle aged folk we have.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:49 pm

They are pretty easy to use. Unless the patient is really hair or wet. The machine basically tells you what to do when you get the patches on. There is a razor and cloth in them also.
                in Ivan we distrust

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 8:17 pm

Done mate.

Very good initiative. They should have them at all sporting fields as well. Undiagnosed HCM is responsible for many SCA events, and otherwise healthy and fit people of all ages are susceptible without diagnosis and intervention.
                #penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:18 pm

Mccarry wrote:
                Wed 11 Apr, 2018 2:20 pm
                Hey Fellow WestsTigers fans,

I have come across a petition that is seeking to make AED's (cheap portable defibrillators) mandatory in the Australian work places. As a tigers fan, I often worry about my heart health and hence I think I would benefit from a change like this. Have a quick look as it may save you or someone you care about if we all come together on this one.

https://www.australianhearts.com/petition
                • Some 23,000 to 33,000 Australians are estimated to suffer a sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) each year
                    For each minute that passes without treatment, the chance of survival is reduced by 10%, therefore a 10 minute “window of opportunity” to act
                      The average ambulance response times in Australia, whilst exceptional on a global scale is between 8-12 minutes
                        Overall Survival of SCA is estimated to be between 9% - 12%
                          Survival climbs to above 50% when CPR and Defibrillation is applied within 3 minutes
                            An AED in the workplace is by far the best way to ensure Defibrillation occurs within 3 minutes
                          The campaign also points out some other interesting numbers
                          • 4 time more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all four most common cancers combined
                              16 times more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all road fatalities
                                300 times more people die from sudden cardiac arrest than all fire related incidents
                              As a country we have done great work around sunscreen in the workplace, great work around driver safety etc, great work around fire extinguishers in the workplace. Seems pretty straightforward we need to get our priorities right and focus on all us Tigers fans with damaged hearts (I note we are quickly recovering lately) by making our workplaces safer.

A quick google of AED's suggests they are between $2000 and $3000.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Is this a no brainer?
                              Pretty sure it is part of all first aid training courses now

Making mandatory , not a bad idea but I guess the legal ramifications get involved and the cost of training

Add to that the stupidity of some people it gets a bit messy

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:57 pm

First aid training incorporates their use but then the first aider goes back to work and when something goes really wrong (the most common really wrong) they don’t have them. First aid without the equipment to do the first aid... go figure