North Korea's Kim Jong-un meets South Korea's Moon Jae-in in DMZ for historic peace talks

General Social Discussion
Milky

North Korea's Kim Jong-un meets South Korea's Moon Jae-in in DMZ for historic peace talks

Post by Milky » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 5:32 pm

Kim Jong-un has become the first North Korean leader to cross into the South since the signing of the Korean War armistice in 1953, attending an historic summit with his southern counterpart Moon Jae-in.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-27/k ... ar/9702428

Definitely more to this, apparently there is plans to become a united country again.

Poses a few questions.

Who will lead it? No way Kim is stepping down.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 5:49 pm

Any arrangement that might get nuclear weapons off the table is good.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 5:50 pm

I have had radiation to treat cancer, believe me m you would not want it

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:04 pm

Sanctions must be working

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:12 pm

Sad to hear the above and I hope all is going well.

Does anyone else see this as a way for NK to expand its power within the Asian region?

USA and China are both growing as forces, China is soon to be one of the worlds largest powers.

North Korea may perceive this as a threat, merging with the South would grow the nation and allow them to take over entirely.

South Korea is also closer to Japan and Australia. This allows for NK to be physically closer to other nations.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm no international politics expert, but Trumps grandstanding instead of appeasement has probably shaken Kim a little. China won't go to war with the US, bad business to go to war with your debtors, especially over a nothing rogue state they are helping prop up.

Kim will likely get protection in China if he walks away.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:20 pm

Milky wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:12 pm

Does anyone else see this as a way for NK to expand its power within the Asian region?

USA and China are both growing as forces, China is soon to be one of the worlds largest powers.

North Korea may perceive this as a threat, merging with the South would grow the nation and allow them to take over entirely.

South Korea is also closer to Japan and Australia. This allows for NK to be physically closer to other nations.
I can only see this as a good thing.
in Ivan we distrust

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:24 pm

You have to ask where this is all heading , could we see north and south re unite

My understanding a few sports teams have recently been playing together as a Korean side

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:31 pm

I have not heard the name Trump mentioned.....do you really think this is just happening for no reason ...amazing what a dominate and hard nose leader can achieve.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm

Something has happened in the background. The bloke was shooting ICBM's at the beginning of the year, Trump publicly goes toe to toe with him and now Kim starts engaging the south and wants to start dialogue with the US.

He hasn't just had a change of heart, that country has been a hermit state for decades, they've never been interested in the approval of the US and now they've been called out on the rhetoric things are changing.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:31 pm
I have not heard the name Trump mentioned.....do you really think this is just happening for no reason ...amazing what a dominate and hard nose leader can achieve.
Did you miss my first post?

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:40 pm

Milky wrote:

I think China is DEFINITELY a concern, trying to control international waters of which they have no right to.

And I would never trust what the DPRK are up to.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:47 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm
Snake wrote:
Yes scrolled to fast my bad,I have a South Korean neighbor and they tell me the South Korean population want nothing to do with it as they see this as bankrupting there country as around 30 million North Koreans are totally uneducated ,unskilled...so interesting times .There also has been rumours that something bad has happened with the last underground test .

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:56 pm

Bee-Em wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:40 pm
Milky wrote:

I think China is DEFINITELY a concern, trying to control international waters of which they have no right to.

You have touched on one of my grievances,our hopeless and negligent politicians who have just sat on there hands while all or oil refineries have shut down ...this country has 14 days supply of petrol for all vehicles and aircraft. One blockade of ships in the area you have mentioned we will be at war within a month ...think about your children then really think hard about the morons that have been and are running this country .

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:59 pm

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/fir ... 0410017020

Here’s the NRL’s response to North Korea. The NRL is going to spend some of its War Chest on N.K
in Ivan we distrust

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:13 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:56 pm
Bee-Em wrote:
Milky wrote:

You have touched on one of my grievances,our hopeless and negligent politicians who have just sat on there hands while all or oil refineries have shut down ...this country has 14 days supply of petrol for all vehicles and aircraft. One blockade of ships in the area you have mentioned we will be at war within a month ...think about your children then really think hard about the morons that have been and are running this country .

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:15 pm

Bee-Em wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:13 pm
Snake wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:56 pm
Bee-Em wrote:
Milky wrote:

Too much reliance on China with their cheap manufacturing, becoming a very powerful nation.

They are starting to own a bit of real estate in Australia too, which our pollies need to monitor and control.
Last edited by Bee-Em on Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 9:16 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:47 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 27 Apr, 2018 8:35 pm
Snake wrote:
Yes scrolled to fast my bad,I have a South Korean neighbor and they tell me the South Korean population want nothing to do with it as they see this as bankrupting there country as around 30 million North Koreans are totally uneducated ,unskilled...so interesting times .There also has been rumours that something bad has happened with the last underground test .
I have read the same, the cost to update the North Korean infrastructure and feed the people would put the South in an economic hole.

That's not to say that putting a price on their neighbours (and families,) survival is right either.