Newcastle, NSW

General Social Discussion
User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Newcastle, NSW

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:34 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:32 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:24 am
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:20 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:36 am
I've never been to Newcastle, but I mentioned to work mates that I was thinking of taking my girlfriend up there for a weekend (when the tigers played there last year), and they laughed thinking that I was joking... they must've got in my head because we didn't end up going
Easily influenced eh? Shame.

Best beaches around here....
You shouldn't be so worried about others opinions. Your Mrs woulda loved it.
Went to Smith's Lake instead - got a great deal on an Air BNB right on the water... had a great weekend.

I'll take the "best beaches" comment with a grain of salt, seeing as everyone says that about their preferred beach!
Take it with a grain a of salt if you like but if you travelled our coastline from catherine hill bay to stockton and saw our beaches with your own eyes you would be extremely surprised
Redhead is my personal fav....
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.


tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:47 am

Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:34 am
tiger05premier wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:32 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:24 am
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:20 am


Easily influenced eh? Shame.

Best beaches around here....
You shouldn't be so worried about others opinions. Your Mrs woulda loved it.
Went to Smith's Lake instead - got a great deal on an Air BNB right on the water... had a great weekend.

I'll take the "best beaches" comment with a grain of salt, seeing as everyone says that about their preferred beach!
Take it with a grain a of salt if you like but if you travelled our coastline from catherine hill bay to stockton and saw our beaches with your own eyes you would be extremely surprised
Redhead is my personal fav....
My favorite too

From my early teens in the mid 80's my mates and i would start the 1hr walk from home to Redhead beach

We would hitchhike and if we didn't get a lift by halfway up Oakdale road we would cut through the bush an come out 10 minutes walk from the beach

Similar story on way back home

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5157
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am

God's own country.

Best collective lot of beaches on the east coast.

Lived up there in the early 70's as I was in radio then - 2HD Good Guys in 71 and 2NX in 71 and then again in 75/76/77 - one of the best periods of my life. Lived in Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for the first stint and commuted back and forth and then Mayfield for awhile and then Charlestown for second stint.

Go back from time to time and have had quite a few family hols staying at apartments at the top of town Knobby's and another at Wickham - we all love the place.

Probably the worst decision I have ever made was to leave and chase the bucks Sydney radio was offering. Oh well!!!

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:08 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
God's own country.

Best collective lot of beaches on the east coast.

Lived up there in the early 70's as I was in radio then - 2HD Good Guys in 71 and 2NX in 71 and then again in 75/76/77 - one of the best periods of my life. Lived in Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for the first stint and commuted back and forth and then Mayfield for awhile and then Charlestown for second stint.

Go back from time to time and have had quite a few family hols staying at apartments at the top of town Knobby's and another at Wickham - we all love the place.

Probably the worst decision I have ever made was to leave and chase the bucks Sydney radio was offering. Oh well!!!
Interesting!

Seems very quiet out at Gwandalan.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm

Post by andrew 474 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:15 am

Had not been to Newcastle for 30 years so I took the wife for a day trip and lunch Sydney to Newcastle , easy drive 2 1/2 hours , cruised in and drove around the beach area , had lunch on the water in the harbour area , looking down to light house on the Hill , very nice , clean , fresh seafood , heading back out turned left and cruised down a few streets to check out the old pubs and stuff , wife loves second hand shops , so we dropped in to one , keep her happy , then drove back , good day nice place , But my Favourite place is Bribie Island , between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast , was a real retirement area but over the years more young people have moved in so it's got a good mix , great parks on the Passage , moving there in December , can't wait


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41139
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:15 am

Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:18 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:26 am
Demps wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 2:53 pm
:sign:

Hi all, any other users from this area?
I have lived here since age 12 or so and before that was Bouncing around the sunny Queensland coast.

I know there is a handful of Novacastrians from PM convos so let's have a roll call.... And discuss why it's better than the central coast and Sydney... 😂

And if you're not from here feel free to share any memories of visits, etc....

Go the tigers! Down with the knights!
Admit it , you be back on the Sunny Coast in a heartbeat Demps
Newcastle is home now brah but I fly that maroon flag proudly 🚩
Good girl :D

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:18 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:15 am
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:18 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:26 am
Demps wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 2:53 pm
:sign:

Hi all, any other users from this area?
I have lived here since age 12 or so and before that was Bouncing around the sunny Queensland coast.

I know there is a handful of Novacastrians from PM convos so let's have a roll call.... And discuss why it's better than the central coast and Sydney... 😂

And if you're not from here feel free to share any memories of visits, etc....

Go the tigers! Down with the knights!
Admit it , you be back on the Sunny Coast in a heartbeat Demps
Newcastle is home now brah but I fly that maroon flag proudly 🚩
Good girl :D
😂 Your mother...
Demps is all man.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5157
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:46 am

Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:08 am
Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
God's own country.

Best collective lot of beaches on the east coast.

Lived up there in the early 70's as I was in radio then - 2HD Good Guys in 71 and 2NX in 71 and then again in 75/76/77 - one of the best periods of my life. Lived in Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for the first stint and commuted back and forth and then Mayfield for awhile and then Charlestown for second stint.

Go back from time to time and have had quite a few family hols staying at apartments at the top of town Knobby's and another at Wickham - we all love the place.

Probably the worst decision I have ever made was to leave and chase the bucks Sydney radio was offering. Oh well!!!
Interesting!

Seems very quiet out at Gwandalan.
Parents had retired there and it was convenient for awhile - got tired of the back and forth twice a day pretty quick though.

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:48 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:46 am
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:08 am
Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
God's own country.

Best collective lot of beaches on the east coast.

Lived up there in the early 70's as I was in radio then - 2HD Good Guys in 71 and 2NX in 71 and then again in 75/76/77 - one of the best periods of my life. Lived in Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for the first stint and commuted back and forth and then Mayfield for awhile and then Charlestown for second stint.

Go back from time to time and have had quite a few family hols staying at apartments at the top of town Knobby's and another at Wickham - we all love the place.

Probably the worst decision I have ever made was to leave and chase the bucks Sydney radio was offering. Oh well!!!
Interesting!

Seems very quiet out at Gwandalan.
Parents had retired there and it was convenient for awhile - got tired of the back and forth twice a day pretty quick though.
Had an amazing satay chicken pizza out there in 06/07... Went baCk in 2013 and they had gone downhill massively.

Probably will never go there again lol
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5157
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:03 pm

Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:48 am
Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:46 am
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:08 am
Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:58 am
God's own country.

Best collective lot of beaches on the east coast.

Lived up there in the early 70's as I was in radio then - 2HD Good Guys in 71 and 2NX in 71 and then again in 75/76/77 - one of the best periods of my life. Lived in Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for the first stint and commuted back and forth and then Mayfield for awhile and then Charlestown for second stint.

Go back from time to time and have had quite a few family hols staying at apartments at the top of town Knobby's and another at Wickham - we all love the place.

Probably the worst decision I have ever made was to leave and chase the bucks Sydney radio was offering. Oh well!!!
Interesting!

Seems very quiet out at Gwandalan.
Parents had retired there and it was convenient for awhile - got tired of the back and forth twice a day pretty quick though.
Had an amazing satay chicken pizza out there in 06/07... Went baCk in 2013 and they had gone downhill massively.

Probably will never go there again lol
My parents have passed on now - house on the water was sold.

Don't think I will ever go back either - don't want to see the house gone and a monstrosity put up (which I am sure it has).

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:36 am
I've never been to Newcastle, but I mentioned to work mates that I was thinking of taking my girlfriend up there for a weekend (when the tigers played there last year), and they laughed thinking that I was joking... they must've got in my head because we didn't end up going
Maybe they were laughing at you having a girlfriend?
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm

Swordy wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 9:36 am
I've never been to Newcastle, but I mentioned to work mates that I was thinking of taking my girlfriend up there for a weekend (when the tigers played there last year), and they laughed thinking that I was joking... they must've got in my head because we didn't end up going
Maybe they were laughing at you having a girlfriend?
😂 Or the fact he could even get one?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm

Haha maybe. I think the general sentiment was there are better places to take your partner for a weekend getaway. I’m sure it’s a great place to live though!
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:34 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm
Haha maybe. I think the general sentiment was there are better places to take your partner for a weekend getaway. I’m sure it’s a great place to live though!
Nelson Bay is pretty good for a quiet wknd away as well if u don't wanna shop or do anything like that.

Eat, swim and get some sun.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:37 pm

Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:34 pm
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm
Haha maybe. I think the general sentiment was there are better places to take your partner for a weekend getaway. I’m sure it’s a great place to live though!
Nelson Bay is pretty good for a quiet wknd away as well if u don't wanna shop or do anything like that.

Eat, swim and get some sun.
I’ll have to check it out after the winter. We went to Hawks Nest earlier this year - I’d definitely recommend having a long weekend up there
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:04 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:37 pm
Demps wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:34 pm
steve-o wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 12:31 pm
Haha maybe. I think the general sentiment was there are better places to take your partner for a weekend getaway. I’m sure it’s a great place to live though!
Nelson Bay is pretty good for a quiet wknd away as well if u don't wanna shop or do anything like that.

Eat, swim and get some sun.
I’ll have to check it out after the winter. We went to Hawks Nest earlier this year - I’d definitely recommend having a long weekend up there
Ye similar to Nelson Bay.
Not far apart either. Think they run a ferry between the two.

Very similar places with Nelson Bay being the more popular /touristy of the two.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5963
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:18 pm

Sydney has its issues. The fact is

there is a reason so many people want to live here.

The traffic etc stresses me out at times but the fact is She is Safe, and beautiful.

Im blessed to live along the Georges river and I love my backyard. PS - Love the region south of Forster. Im buying a second place up there soon.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Post by hammertime » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 1:37 pm

Grew up in eleebana and later tronna... Family are still there but I'm in Sydney these days. Would love nothing more than to find a good job back there to move home. So much better than Sydney.

Post Reply