Aretha Franklin sings no more

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Aretha Franklin sings no more

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 8:54 pm

Famous female soul artist died last week. She starred in Blue Bros that is currently on SBS TV. She had talent and personality - far cry from many of today's so-called musicians.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:47 pm

Was spending time with my kids tonight and they were showing me today’s famous music talents. God help us - give me AC/DC, Chisels, Rose Rattoo, Jets any day.
Also - can’t wait for Queen movie due out November- absolutely brilliant musicians.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:52 pm

Aretha Franklin was certainly not in the style of music i usually listen to but she could certainly sing and is a tragic loss

Bee-Em

Post by Bee-Em » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:52 pm

Once in a lifetime artist

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:58 pm

The most boring sounds in musical history is passing as music today. Even pre-Elvis Sammy Davis stuff has it over the today's factory sounds rubbish.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:02 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:52 pm
Aretha Franklin was certainly not in the style of music i usually listen to but she could certainly sing and is a tragic loss
My mother was a Aretha Franklin clone before Aretha and could triple her pensions doing church weddings, and if they were poor she would chuck in the wedding party for free. A self taught pianist and singer

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:38 pm

RIP Aretha, one of the greatest ever!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:43 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:02 pm
jadtiger wrote:
My mother was a Aretha Franklin clone before Aretha and could triple her pensions doing church weddings, and if they were poor she would chuck in the wedding party for free. A self taught pianist and singer
I always thought that Aretha Franklin could have made one of the best blues singers of all time alongside Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday(when she sang blues).It sounds like your mother was a talented person

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:38 am

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:43 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:02 pm
jadtiger wrote:
I always thought that Aretha Franklin could have made one of the best blues singers of all time alongside Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday(when she sang blues).It sounds like your mother was a talented person
another story sorry. My mother grew up when that Spanish Flu was on at the end of it and had a sister die. well the Lebo custom is that you don't turn on the lights at night for 5 years if a child dies. She had just conned my very stingy grandfather to buy her a piano - by beating out famous Lebo songs out on the wooden kitchen table and singing to it. So she being desperate to learn began by trying to play the tunes by memory in the dark, had to do garden chores etc in daylight. So by the time I was born she could belt out every tune out of her head - and she was a blues lover, so all the Ray Charles and Louis Armstrong songs, everything going back to the twenties. The Beatles Obla Di Obla Da took about exactly 1 minute to fathom out. She would kick her legs up and throw her dress up whilst banging the pedals and let spittle drop out like Armstrong. Then she got Bells Palsy and could not sing until I got her onto the 240 volts and fixed it up one session. Dont ask me what her dying words were

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:31 am

Well the "First lady of Soul" was every bit as good as Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith in my estimation, if not better.

This lady was just sensational, even though plagued by ill health and weight problems.

Not as good as Ella Fitzgerald but I think she had the other two covered.

Aretha - Rest in Peace.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:58 am

Truly the Queen of Soul

Rest in Peace Aretha Franklin

R E S P E C T

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 2:36 pm

Being the radical I thought Janis Joplin left them all for dead (funny using that word in this context).

Janis's version of Summertime

A Woman Left Lonely

and Ball and Chain

created a whole new genre of music that probably will never be repeated.

Other female artists did not exist for me after Janis was delivered in Sydney record shops after Me and Bobby McGee

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:44 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 2:36 pm
Being the radical I thought Janis Joplin left them all for dead (funny using that word in this context).

Janis's version of Summertime

A Woman Left Lonely

and Ball and Chain

Other female artists did not exist for me after Janis was delivered in Sydney record shops after Me and Bobby McGee
Can't say as I agree BBF - just a shouter to my ears apart from the one song.

Think record sales back me up.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:57 pm

Even now almost 50 years later 1970 was a hard year if you liked the music of the time.Hendrix and Joplin both dying in a very short time was very sad

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:57 pm
Even now almost 50 years later 1970 was a hard year if you liked the music of the time.Hendrix and Joplin both dying in a very short time was very sad
Add Morrison to that list , what a voice

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:45 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:57 pm
Add Morrison to that list , what a voice
True i dont know how i overlooked him.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:55 pm

For decades I have regretted that J Joplin and Joe Cocker did not do a duet, could you imagine them doing The Letter or Little Help From My Friends together. That proves there is no god.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 11:07 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:44 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 2:36 pm

Can't say as I agree BBF - just a shouter to my ears apart from the one song.

Think record sales back me up.
She didn't do too bad in the record sales:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/janis-jo ... e-edition/
The original ‘Pearl’ recording was released on Jan. 11, 1971, only three months after Joplin’s passing in October 1970. Now known as a Joplin classic, this posthumous release peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and
remained there for nine weeks,
capturing some of her best-loved performances, including ‘Mercedes Benz' and‘ Kris Kristofferson’s 'Me and Bobby McGee.'

But you may be onto something Russell because she did ask the Lord to buy her a Mercedes Benz