60's and 70 Rock

General Social Discussion
diedpretty

Re: 60's and 70 Rock

Post by diedpretty » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:39 pm

How good is YouTube that you can actually watch concerts and film clips from these bands - big screen tv and cranked out through surround sound speakers - awesome.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 9:04 pm

Devin Townsend from Strapping Young Lad has put out some good albums as well if you're into the heavy stuff.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:24 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:38 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:08 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:33 pm
TCL wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:24 pm

There is lots of good music around some of it borrows from the old - Greta Van Fleet have some great riffs and the singer sounds like Page. Muse, Killers, queens of the Stone Age, two pieces like royal blood, polish club and black pistol fire. Also heard a song the other day from a band called magpie salute called omission, great riffs

Sure the 60's and 70 were great they were truely pioneers, Aussie rock was outstanding in the 70 and 80, grung with bands like nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, Alice in chains and so on.

Music evolves and revolves but there is always a room for more.
Same, I love it when i can hear the bands i like and the influence they have on a modern artists. However i also like a lot of new material that is a long way removed from our generation. Having a young teenager does that to you. Sometimes you just have to say yeah thats pretty cool, i like it.

There is some good original and very modern music out there that is worth a listen.
Who are some of the modern bands/singers you would recommend?
Cog would be the band I would recommend from the last few years. Five Finger Death Punch have some great songs if you like hard rock, plenty of booming drums, kickarse guitars and Pantera-inspired vocals. Beaut music for a drink or ten!
I used to listen to Cog in my 20's, good band.

There are some good bands still around. The Mars Volta are a phenomenal band. Deloused in the Comatorium was a masterpiece, Frances the Mute was brilliant as well, but they fell away after Jeremy Ward died.

Flea and John Fruiscante from the Chillis played on the first album, and Fruiscante played on the following two after that too IIRC.

Also, can't go past Reznor and NIN either.
Saw Cog 3 or so months ago when they toured nationally, still a brilliant band live and seem very humble blokes. Was a great night. Are You Interested? is a classic album IMO.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:29 pm

TCL wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:11 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:00 pm
Wrong decade, but any Alice In Chains fans?
Yeah, saw them I think 93 at the Hordan with suicidal tendencies.

Cantrel, Great guitarist.
AIC were good.
Suicidals were great too. Had some beaut songs.
Would of been a great double-bill that one!

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:35 am

Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:38 am

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:46 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:29 pm
TCL wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:11 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 16 Sep, 2018 8:00 pm
Wrong decade, but any Alice In Chains fans?
Yeah, saw them I think 93 at the Hordan with suicidal tendencies.

Cantrel, Great guitarist.
AIC were good.
Suicidals were great too. Had some beaut songs.
Would of been a great double-bill that one!
Both were great. Always enjoyed watching bands play in smaller venues.

Always enjoyed watching Aussie bands at pub venues as well.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:38 am

sheer64 wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 12:35 am
The origional and better version imo even though i do like Claptons 2nd slower version as well

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:50 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:24 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:33 pm

Same, I love it when i can hear the bands i like and the influence they have on a modern artists. However i also like a lot of new material that is a long way removed from our generation. Having a young teenager does that to you. Sometimes you just have to say yeah thats pretty cool, i like it.

There is some good original and very modern music out there that is worth a listen.
Cog would be the band I would recommend from the last few years. Five Finger Death Punch have some great songs if you like hard rock, plenty of booming drums, kickarse guitars and Pantera-inspired vocals. Beaut music for a drink or ten!

There are some good bands still around. The Mars Volta are a phenomenal band. Deloused in the Comatorium was a masterpiece, Frances the Mute was brilliant as well, but they fell away after Jeremy Ward died.

Flea and John Fruiscante from the Chillis played on the first album, and Fruiscante played on the following two after that too IIRC.

Saw Cog 3 or so months ago when they toured nationally, still a brilliant band live and seem very humble blokes. Was a great night. Are You Interested? is a classic album IMO.
I had "What if" by Cog as the ringtone on. my phone for years.
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:53 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:25 pm
Did someone mention Elvis. I dont listen to Elvis or own any of his music but he was the original COOL.

Thanks for posting this one , I've never heard Elvis like that. Fresh discovery for me.
in Ivan we distrust

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:14 pm

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:14 pm

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:16 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:50 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 18 Sep, 2018 9:24 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

I had "What if" by Cog as the ringtone on. my phone for years.
Nice one mate! Can't go wrong with that one. Goes off live too with that sing-along chorus :righton:
Shame Cog never brought out more albums over the years.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 4:18 pm

Some great songs from the 70s

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm

More from the 50s and 60s

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 4:34 pm

Heard this on the way home

Bit of Neil Young for your musical tastes

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ci ... &FORM=VIRE

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:07 am

A bit different and a fair bit earlier than the thread period, but is anyone a fan of Antonio Lauro?

His Valses Venezolanos (Venezuelan Waltzes) he wrote in the late 1930's are beautiful pieces. I wish I could play guitar like this, I just don't have the time to practice to be this agile on guitar.

"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 8:57 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 19 Sep, 2018 9:53 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:25 pm
Did someone mention Elvis. I dont listen to Elvis or own any of his music but he was the original COOL.

Thanks for posting this one , I've never heard Elvis like that. Fresh discovery for me.
Here’s my favourite Elvis performance, delivered just 2 months before his death. He was so jacked-up on meds he’s shaking uncontrollably and semi-lucid, yet delivered one of the most stirring moments in rock history.

I’m not al elvis fan per se (music has evolved so much since his time), but it’s hard not to be moved by this. I feel like you probably had to be alive during his time to fully appreciate his greatness and impact on music.