The city has lost its soul ......Sydney

General Social Discussion
happy tiger

The city has lost its soul ......Sydney

Post by happy tiger » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 11:22 am

Lets hear what you Sydneyites say .......

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... cid=ASUDHP

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 12:00 pm

Apart from footy my other great passion is live music and I frequent venues usually three times a week, and sometimes more if there are things on that I want to see.
The battle musicians and venue owners have with councils and the police in regard to regulations is beyond ridiculous - aside from rent. You have residents moving to areas for the cafes pubs venues and then they start complaiining about noise levels - and all that those areas offer to the point where operators are being fined and and their licensing hours being reduced to the point where they are forced to close their doors.
Keep Sydney Open movement is gaining momentum and people are listening just dont know if they can compete with the power of developers and the big end if town.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 12:38 pm

Not much into nightlife these days, Sydney had a great pub rock scene in the 70's and 80's when I was younger and got to see great Aussie bands live, Angels, Tatts, Oils Mentals, Radiators the list goes on.
Sydney is becoming a giant ghetto...every area near a rail station or a large shopping complex is now LegoLand...Im outta here when I finish work

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes it has. Stay away.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 1:31 pm

Our city should be open 24/7 but unfortunately the younger generation can not handle the alcohol and the drugs they take .The violence that is associated with this spilling out onto the street creating a bloodbath can not be tolerated,maybe one day the culture and behaviour will mature to a point that our city will be a safe and civilised place 24/7 !

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 1:40 pm

Sydney is a tip. I'm only here still because it is where the money is. As soon as I retire I'm going bush.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 2:29 pm

Moved out of Sydney 4 years ago, opted for early retirement. When I do have to drive back down ( as little as possible) its a great road trip until you get to Pennant Hills Rd or Pacific Highway then the stress goes up.

It feels great when you do leave. Sad thing is all the Govt money is being spent on roads etc with very little hitting the regional areas, never really gave that too much thought until we moved to a regional town. Makes you look at things a tad differently now.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 2:40 pm

Muffstar wrote:
Sun 18 Nov, 2018 2:29 pm
Moved out of Sydney 4 years ago, opted for early retirement. When I do have to drive back down ( as little as possible) its a great road trip until you get to Pennant Hills Rd or Pacific Highway then the stress goes up.

It feels great when you do leave. Sad thing is all the Govt money is being spent on roads etc with very little hitting the regional areas, never really gave that too much thought until we moved to a regional town. Makes you look at things a tad differently now.
I compromised and moved to the mid-upper mountains. The wife doesn't have to work unless she wants to and we don't have to come down on weekends unless we want to.

I reckon if I could swing it I would see if I could work from home and move to somewhere like Bowenfels or somewhere like that.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:21 pm

Bit chilly in winter CB....Im off up the coast somewhere, not too far to get to the odd WTs game

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:39 pm

Muffstar wrote:

I'm at Lake Cathie just south of you Muffstar - i left Sydney 30 years ago - my family all stayed and every time i visited i could see that it had become a litle bit dirtier, more overcrowded and just not the place i remembered. I only get down there once or twice a year now and thats plenty for me. And you're right about the drive - quite relaxing until you hit Pennant Hills rd - what a goat track that is.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:47 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:21 pm
Bit chilly in winter CB....Im off up the coast somewhere, not too far to get to the odd WTs game
Would rather somewhere where you can throw some layers on and warm up other than a place where you can't cool down once the A/C packs it in.

Don't really like beaches either. Much prefer the greenery.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:59 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 18 Nov, 2018 3:39 pm
Muffstar wrote:

I'm at Lake Cathie just south of you Muffstar - i left Sydney 30 years ago - my family all stayed and every time i visited i could see that it had become a litle bit dirtier, more overcrowded and just not the place i remembered. I only get down there once or twice a year now and thats plenty for me. And you're right about the drive - quite relaxing until you hit Pennant Hills rd - what a goat track that is.
Should get better once the NorthConnex is completed.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 4:30 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Muffstar wrote:

Yep too right DP, we live in a pretty good area.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 5:01 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Muffstar wrote:

Understand exactly how you'll feel with Brisbane

I wouldn't go anymore if I didn't have friends and family still living in Brisbane or Ipswich

willow

Post by willow » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 6:53 pm

I certainly don't plan to retire in Sydney. It has become a beast of a city and is full of peanuts. I've seen my share of Sydney's underworld and coupled with the declining state of traffic and cost of living...it's just not attractive in any way.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 7:15 pm

Any ideas where youd like to slow down to willy?

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 7:20 pm

Best part if Sydney is looking at it in the rear vision mirror.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 8:15 pm

I left 14 years ago and I dislike it a little bit more everytime I go back. It's so overcrowded.