The city has lost its soul ......Sydney

General Social Discussion
User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: The city has lost its soul ......Sydney

Post by steve-o » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:54 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 11:05 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 1:30 am
One more note... in my experience, the traffic in Sydney is nothing compared to other cities in the world. So if you don’t want to live somewhere with bad traffic, you’re pretty much limiting yourself to rural living. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the frustration of sitting in a log jam... I’m a big believer in living close to work. You save so much time by limiting your commute. If that means living in a smaller or less desirable location, so be it.
Totally agree with that. People who complain bitterly about Sydney traffic haven't visited or paid attention to any other large city in the world.

Melbourne and Brisbane traffic is the same, Melbourne especially as it has the same sort of size and distribution. Auckland can be horrendous; don't even start on places like Beijing or Seoul. Anywhere with a significant harbour or river going through the city always has issues because bridges are congestion points, which is exactly Sydney's primary issue - we only have 4 crossings for the Harbour/Parramatta River (5 if you include the H Tunnel as separate to the H Bridge).

I'm curious, you said you were struggling to save for Sydney, and I understand Toronto is just as bad, perhaps worse, with Vancouver also being v. popular. Where in US? I've been all over and I have work opportunities there, I just wouldn't want to raise my kids there.
Yeah Toronto is just as expensive, but our thought process was at least we're seeing a different part of the world. Essentially we felt we were in a bit of a rut in Sydney... we wanted to spread our wings and do something different, so decided on Toronto as it was the best chance for me to get work, and close to my partner's family on the east coast of the US.
After my two year work visa is up, we'll probably end up in New Jersey / greater New York area, at least for the medium term. The company I work for has it's corporate office and a number of other operating companies in NJ, so they've always got a lot of job opportunities there. Long term, I'd love to end up further south where the weather is a bit warmer.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers


User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6175
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 12:30 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 7:54 am
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 11:05 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 1:30 am
One more note... in my experience, the traffic in Sydney is nothing compared to other cities in the world. So if you don’t want to live somewhere with bad traffic, you’re pretty much limiting yourself to rural living. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the frustration of sitting in a log jam... I’m a big believer in living close to work. You save so much time by limiting your commute. If that means living in a smaller or less desirable location, so be it.
Totally agree with that. People who complain bitterly about Sydney traffic haven't visited or paid attention to any other large city in the world.

Melbourne and Brisbane traffic is the same, Melbourne especially as it has the same sort of size and distribution. Auckland can be horrendous; don't even start on places like Beijing or Seoul. Anywhere with a significant harbour or river going through the city always has issues because bridges are congestion points, which is exactly Sydney's primary issue - we only have 4 crossings for the Harbour/Parramatta River (5 if you include the H Tunnel as separate to the H Bridge).

I'm curious, you said you were struggling to save for Sydney, and I understand Toronto is just as bad, perhaps worse, with Vancouver also being v. popular. Where in US? I've been all over and I have work opportunities there, I just wouldn't want to raise my kids there.
Yeah Toronto is just as expensive, but our thought process was at least we're seeing a different part of the world. Essentially we felt we were in a bit of a rut in Sydney... we wanted to spread our wings and do something different, so decided on Toronto as it was the best chance for me to get work, and close to my partner's family on the east coast of the US.
After my two year work visa is up, we'll probably end up in New Jersey / greater New York area, at least for the medium term. The company I work for has it's corporate office and a number of other operating companies in NJ, so they've always got a lot of job opportunities there. Long term, I'd love to end up further south where the weather is a bit warmer.
Well good luck! I've always considered Toronto be "Sydney of North America" because the vibe of the city was so similar, and Canadians IMO are much more like Aussies than Americans.

Living in Trump's America... eek. I've heard Portland is great.

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm

Post by yeti » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 1:45 pm

Left Sydney many years ago and have rarely been back. Great place to see - in the rear view mirror.
Some good memories, however. Met my wife there (blind date) - I reckon she is still blind!
Great times at Leichhardt Oval. My first kid born there.
But - happy to be outta there!

Silentio
Member
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon 01 Jun, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Silentio » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:08 pm

In the words of Paul Keating "If you don't live in Sydney, you're just camping out".

Traffic is what you'd expect for 5 million or so people, climate is bearable, there are stacks of jobs and plenty to do.

Whenever I visit family on the far north coast of NSW, I wonder how people survive. If you aren't into getting heatstroke at the beach, you'll be dying or boredom while drowning in your own sweat.

tsjonathan
Member
Member
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Post by tsjonathan » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:41 pm

kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:11 pm
One of the great cities of the world. Seriously love the place. When you live there you forget about how great it is. But it maybe the best city in the world.
Also the place of my favourite dad joke...take the kids to south Sydney and say this is where they invented the toothbrush...anywhere else it would be the teethbrush.
x2

i've lived in hanoi ,nauru, geneva (work) to tokyo and asia but sydney has to be right up the top of lifestyle in general. it's all subjective really...

calling it a cesspool etc is short sighted. It's a dynamic multicultural city with the best food; coffee and culture in the world. Go to Petersham and eat Frangos; go to granville and eat El Jannah; go to Cabramatta and eat Pho; go to Surry hills to eat Lebanese and Persian cuisine or Glebe for a German beer cafe?. Sounds alright to me...


Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2815
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:00 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:41 pm
kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:11 pm
One of the great cities of the world. Seriously love the place. When you live there you forget about how great it is. But it maybe the best city in the world.
Also the place of my favourite dad joke...take the kids to south Sydney and say this is where they invented the toothbrush...anywhere else it would be the teethbrush.
x2

i've lived in hanoi ,nauru, geneva (work) to tokyo and asia but sydney has to be right up the top of lifestyle in general. it's all subjective really...

calling it a cesspool etc is short sighted. It's a dynamic multicultural city with the best food; coffee and culture in the world. Go to Petersham and eat Frangos; go to granville and eat El Jannah; go to Cabramatta and eat Pho; go to Surry hills to eat Lebanese and Persian cuisine or Glebe for a German beer cafe?. Sounds alright to me...
Was at the German beer cafe last night!

tsjonathan
Member
Member
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Post by tsjonathan » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:06 pm

Telltails wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:00 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:41 pm
kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:11 pm
One of the great cities of the world. Seriously love the place. When you live there you forget about how great it is. But it maybe the best city in the world.
Also the place of my favourite dad joke...take the kids to south Sydney and say this is where they invented the toothbrush...anywhere else it would be the teethbrush.
x2

i've lived in hanoi ,nauru, geneva (work) to tokyo and asia but sydney has to be right up the top of lifestyle in general. it's all subjective really...

calling it a cesspool etc is short sighted. It's a dynamic multicultural city with the best food; coffee and culture in the world. Go to Petersham and eat Frangos; go to granville and eat El Jannah; go to Cabramatta and eat Pho; go to Surry hills to eat Lebanese and Persian cuisine or Glebe for a German beer cafe?. Sounds alright to me...
Was at the German beer cafe last night!
really? how was it?

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2815
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:16 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:06 pm
Telltails wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 3:00 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
Tue 20 Nov, 2018 2:41 pm
kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:11 pm
One of the great cities of the world. Seriously love the place. When you live there you forget about how great it is. But it maybe the best city in the world.
Also the place of my favourite dad joke...take the kids to south Sydney and say this is where they invented the toothbrush...anywhere else it would be the teethbrush.
x2

i've lived in hanoi ,nauru, geneva (work) to tokyo and asia but sydney has to be right up the top of lifestyle in general. it's all subjective really...

calling it a cesspool etc is short sighted. It's a dynamic multicultural city with the best food; coffee and culture in the world. Go to Petersham and eat Frangos; go to granville and eat El Jannah; go to Cabramatta and eat Pho; go to Surry hills to eat Lebanese and Persian cuisine or Glebe for a German beer cafe?. Sounds alright to me...
Was at the German beer cafe last night!
really? how was it?
Excellent - first time. Good hearty food too.

Post Reply