Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 5:54 pm

Abraham wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 4:12 pm
It confirms the Democrat's worst fears that 2016 was not just some weird aberration that would be overturned the next time around.

The Republican's consolidated their new Trump base, and in a midterm that traditionally should have seen the Republicans suffer huge losses, it just didn't happen. Its not all roses for them, as they did really badly in urban areas, which is a concern.

The Democrats and their supporters have been at 11/10 in terms of screaming and hysteria for two straight years, non stop fake scandals, and after pulling out all the stops and every dirty trick, they ended up with only a lukewarm result.

It wasn't a failure by any means, but it was well down on their own expectations.
They won the house by 4 million votes. And no, that isn’t a failure at all.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm

What about Foley, "(insert body part) get hard brain gets soft". Idiot.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 11:10 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 5:54 pm
Abraham wrote:
It confirms the Democrat's worst fears that 2016 was not just some weird aberration that would be overturned the next time around.

The Republican's consolidated their new Trump base, and in a midterm that traditionally should have seen the Republicans suffer huge losses, it just didn't happen. Its not all roses for them, as they did really badly in urban areas, which is a concern.

The Democrats and their supporters have been at 11/10 in terms of screaming and hysteria for two straight years, non stop fake scandals, and after pulling out all the stops and every dirty trick, they ended up with only a lukewarm result.

It wasn't a failure by any means, but it was well down on their own expectations.
Still looking for the blue wave.

Democrats have lost the Senate, the White House, and most of the States have Republican Governors.

Well done. No failure?

:roll :roll

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 12:01 am

The booming economy bit is what confuses me. How on earth anyone can try to say things are great when their already incredibly high national debt rose by SEVENTEEN % in the past year is beyond me!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 12:04 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm
Some men never learn. He was a pretty ordinary opposition leader anyway.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 5:57 am

magpiecol wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 11:10 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Abraham wrote:

Still looking for the blue wave.

Democrats have lost the Senate, the White House, and most of the States have Republican Governors.

Well done. No failure?

:roll :roll
Democrats never had the Senate or the WH heading into the midterm. They did however win the house, something you refuse to acknowledge. meaning they become the Chair in many oversight commitee’s, and can subpoena whoever, or whatever they want. That outweighs losing a couple seats in a Senate they were not going to win and weren’t going to have a majority in anyway. Oh yeah, they also get to block cheetoh faces agenda for the next 2 years. He won't even be able to pass wind. Failure?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 8:54 am

Trump has sacked Sessions and that is going to create havoc one way or another. Because of this action I doubt that Trump will see out his full term. He is already going feral at press conferences. He accused Accosta of CNN of touching the woman whilst holding the microphone - this from the man who sexually assaulted dozens of women against their will and boasts about it. I was hoping that Accosta would have blasted him with it immediately.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:23 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 8:54 am
Trump has sacked Sessions and that is going to create havoc one way or another. Because of this action I doubt that Trump will see out his full term. He is already going feral at press conferences. He accused Accosta of CNN of touching the woman whilst holding the microphone - this from the man who sexually assaulted dozens of women against their will and boasts about it. I was hoping that Accosta would have blasted him with it immediately.
I've said it 100 times. Supporting his agenda is one thing (even though some of his policies push the boundaries) but supporting the man himself is something different altogether. The way he handled Accosta was extreme pettyness. Then when the next reporter speaks in Accosta's defence, Trump tells him well i don't like you either, is childish, though you shouldn't expect any different. The irony is he thinks his tough, when he's actually weak as pee. Too gutless to answer any tough questions, wittled in Helsinki next to Putin. Was only brave enough to correct himself once he was a safe distance away, won't release tax returns (though that won't matter now), contantly sulks on Twitter. A total coward. Now cmon Col, lets hear how crazy you think i am.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:32 am

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 12:04 am
bathursttiger wrote:
Some men never learn. He was a pretty ordinary opposition leader anyway.
The Betoota article nailed it: "NSW finally learns Labor leaders name."

Seems old Lukey has a problem on the piss.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:45 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Yeah, having such thoughts are one thing, acting upon them is quite another.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 12:37 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Abraham wrote:

It has taken a few years, but you have finally agreed with me on something.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 4:36 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:23 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
I've said it 100 times. Supporting his agenda is one thing (even though some of his policies push the boundaries) but supporting the man himself is something different altogether. The way he handled Accosta was extreme pettyness. Then when the next reporter speaks in Accosta's defence, Trump tells him well i don't like you either, is childish, though you shouldn't expect any different. The irony is he thinks his tough, when he's actually weak as pee. Too gutless to answer any tough questions, wittled in Helsinki next to Putin. Was only brave enough to correct himself once he was a safe distance away, won't release tax returns (though that won't matter now), contantly sulks on Twitter. A total coward. Now cmon Col, lets hear how crazy you think i am.
x2

It's amazing that there is somewhere in the human psyche that believes bullying is a sign of strength when really it's a consequence of low self-confidence. It takes strength to swallow your pride for the greater good, something that Trump clearly doesn't have.

What I really hope is that the extreme left starts to settle down so there are less people moving to the right. I have a strong feeling that a lot of the swinging voters really are not basing their decision on policy anymore, its more about quashing the rampant PC culture in western society.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 5:44 pm

hammertime wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 4:36 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 9:23 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
x2

It's amazing that there is somewhere in the human psyche that believes bullying is a sign of strength when really it's a consequence of low self-confidence. It takes strength to swallow your pride for the greater good, something that Trump clearly doesn't have.

What I really hope is that the extreme left starts to settle down so there are less people moving to the right. I have a strong feeling that a lot of the swinging voters really are not basing their decision on policy anymore, its more about quashing the rampant PC culture in western society.
"It's amazing that there is somewhere in the human psyche that believes bullying is a sign of strength when really it's a consequence of low self-confidence. It takes strength to swallow your pride for the greater good, something that Trump clearly doesn't have."
x3. 100% agreed. I cannot believe how children are rewarded for behaving childish and sadly media attention is given for bad behaviour.

As for PC culture. It's there, but it's overblown. Yes there are a myriad of examples of people saying silly stuff (i.e. you shouldn't say X), but we are calling it SILLY. That's Free speech. Conversely there are things that are said which go below the bar. We punish our footballers when they say these things but don't punish our politicians when they say far worse. Case in point, I disagree with Israel Folau's comments but many politicians have said far far worse then him.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 09 Nov, 2018 6:35 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 09 Nov, 2018 5:44 pm
As for PC culture. It's there, but it's overblown. Yes there are a myriad of examples of people saying silly stuff (i.e. you shouldn't say X), but we are calling it SILLY. That's Free speech. Conversely there are things that are said which go below the bar. We punish our footballers when they say these things but don't punish our politicians when they say far worse. Case in point, I disagree with Israel Folau's comments but many politicians have said far far worse then him.
Yep, he was crucified and while I didn't agree with him, people expecting a religion to change after thousands of years were just kidding themselves. Unless he treats them any differently, I don't believe that to be discrimination, just a belief.

But it's not that I'm talking about, this whole gender identification thing. Identifying someone how they want to be identified, is the one that takes that step too far for me.

Its asking people to throw science and biology out the window. It should end that people are free to do whatever they want with their own body and beliefs. But as soon as you ask me to believe what you believe, that's the line.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 10 Nov, 2018 8:35 am

How ironic mango Mussolini is doing what he does best, having a cry on Twitter, about election fraud, when for the last 2 years has not given a toss when his own intelligence agencies have confirmed over and over that Russia interfered in 2016. Imagine if he loses in 2020, he’ll have to be dragged out of the WH kicking and screaming. Zero class.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sat 10 Nov, 2018 11:24 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 10 Nov, 2018 8:35 am
How ironic mango Mussolini is doing what he does best, having a cry on Twitter, about election fraud, when for the last 2 years has not given a toss when his own intelligence agencies have confirmed over and over that Russia interfered in 2016. Imagine if he loses in 2020, he’ll have to be dragged out of the WH kicking and screaming. Zero class.
Lose in 2020? Who, on the crazy left could beat him?

America and the world are in a much better place ( America- economically and the world- much safer) since the feckless Mr O finished his term

You will be in really bad shape in another six years. Maybe Wests can win a couple of premierships to ease your pain.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:35 am

Interesting that large industry is now publicly calling for a carbon tax/price on carbon. Some five years with bugger all direction, let alone policy, from Tony and his few powerful mates in government and now many in the private sector want to go back to that which they ruined then dismantled.