Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:55 am

an inconvenient truth for #RegressiveLeft - quote from Thomas Sowell :master:

"For more than 80 years, the political left has opposed what they call "tax cuts for the rich." But big cuts in very high tax rates ended up bringing in more revenue to the government in the Coolidge, Kennedy, Reagan and Bush 43 administrations. This included more -- repeat, more -- tax revenue from people in the highest income brackets than before."


colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Mon 04 Dec, 2017 11:36 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Mon 04 Dec, 2017 9:55 am
an inconvenient truth for #RegressiveLeft - quote from Thomas Sowell :master:

"For more than 80 years, the political left has opposed what they call "tax cuts for the rich." But big cuts in very high tax rates ended up bringing in more revenue to the government in the Coolidge, Kennedy, Reagan and Bush 43 administrations. This included more -- repeat, more -- tax revenue from people in the highest income brackets than before."
Any statement made without evidence can also be rejected without evidence.

What you state is the trickle down effect. It is a myth.

"What I want you to understand is the national debt is not the only cause of [declining economic conditions in America]. It is because America has not invested in its people. It is because we have not grown. It is because we’ve had 12 years of trickle-down economics. We’ve gone from first to twelfth in the world in wages. We’ve had four years where we’ve produced no private-sector jobs. Most people are working harder for less money than they were making 10 years ago." Bill Clinton in 1992. Yet America (even including Clinton) kept trying this same idea... Yes Wages just kept stagnating and America kept falling from it's global leadership position in the 80's.

Trickle down is a myth. Be it debunked with Thomas Piketty's :master: analysis of all tax returns from 19 countries in the last 100 years Or just your human eyes, it is debunked.
https://psmag.com/economics/trickle-dow ... eed-a-joke

But hey prove it yourself, just say "the comp would be better off if Melbourne/Brisbane had no Cap!". Just admit that the trickle down effect would be better for the WT if Melbourne/Brisbane had unlimited funds!? .... Ofcourse the problem with the competition is the enforcement of the Salary cap and spoilt teams getting cream players. 16 even teams make a great comp. An even, fair and egalatarian society makes Australia great. Lets throw the trickle down rubbish in the garbage bin.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Post by hammertime » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:29 am

Well Shorten has been a real dill with this citizenship fiasco. Coming out swinging while either hiding the truth about his colleagues or just incorrect about how strong labors vetting process was.

Dishonest or incompetent - take your pick.

The Australian public just think this thing is ridiculous and hasn't affected the voting one bit (as seen by Barnaby's reelection). But hiding the truth is a completely different matter. Bill should have been upfront from the start.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Post by hammertime » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 6:12 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:15 pm
formerguest wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 4:55 pm
Pretty fair to say that many in the electorate would have voted differently had they known he was a dual citizen.
Well, we'll soon know.
lol. So, he got a POSITIVE swing of +12%!! Throws your argument well out the window...

Just goes to show that this whole thing is just a stupid farce and a waste of taxpayers money.
People don't care. Unless you've been dishonest or hiding anything deliberately. Hopefully Shorten hasn't been doing that.

Munk
Member
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:20 pm

Post by Munk » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:55 pm

Of course people dont care. This whole thing is embarrassing and a huge waste of time and money.


formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3727
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:15 pm

hammertime wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 6:12 pm
hammertime wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:15 pm
formerguest wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 4:55 pm
Pretty fair to say that many in the electorate would have voted differently had they known he was a dual citizen.
Well, we'll soon know.
lol. So, he got a POSITIVE swing of +12%!! Throws your argument well out the window...

Just goes to show that this whole thing is just a stupid farce and a waste of taxpayers money.
People don't care. Unless you've been dishonest or hiding anything deliberately. Hopefully Shorten hasn't been doing that.

The lack of Tony Windsor would be the simple answer for the swing.

In light of his statements on the marriage issue, I was very surprised that during the campaign the media kept so quiet about him apparently fathering a child with his well pregnant young staffer. Barnaby's daughter's tirade through the streets of Tamworth in disgust as a response to his misdeeds, though, was rightly not widely broadcast to protect her and her siblings.

I don't go much on Shorten either, but still, there is little similarity between the those already found ineligible, as those yet to be referred at least attempted to rescind prior to nomination/election, which to me is fair and quite possibly just what the judges will find.

Parliament was a joke this afternoon with a casting vote of the speaker used to stop all those with some question marks (bar the absent Sinodinos) being referred per the wishes of the entire cross bench. Really cannot understand why they are prolonging this issue any further.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17209
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:31 pm

Barnaby was always getting back in. The electorate sympathised with his plight, as well as the fact that he's pretty well liked.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39155
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:42 pm

Malcolm Turnbull has been a bigger disappointment than Adam Blair at the WT's

As hard as it is to say , Stryker was right , he said he'd be a flop and was on the mark

Proof again that the right man/woman isn't necessarily the right man/woman to lead the country

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17209
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:19 am

Doesn't help when the LNP are a shambles. The far right need to just split and form their own Conservative party.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39155
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 9:09 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:19 am
Doesn't help when the LNP are a shambles. The far right need to just split and form their own Conservative party.
Barnaby this morning CB , "The cat in a hat is back "

Pollies quoting Dr Suess , God help us all

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39155
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:29 am

Finally Dastyari has resigned

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17209
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:34 am

Good,

At very best what he did was unethical, and at the worst it was treacherous.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3727
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:43 am

Had to go, as he himself created an untenable position.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 1:13 pm

formerguest wrote:
Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:43 am
Had to go, as he himself created an untenable position.
His contorted face matched his dilemma in politics - all twisted and painful to watch and hear.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 2:07 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:42 pm
Malcolm Turnbull has been a bigger disappointment than Adam Blair at the WT's

As hard as it is to say , Stryker was right , he said he'd be a flop and was on the mark

Proof again that the right man/woman isn't necessarily the right man/woman to lead the country
Turnbull always stood for nothing except his own ego. Apparently his only regret is the opinion polls!

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Post by hammertime » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 6:27 pm

Bennelong vote tomorrow - which way do you think people should be voting?

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17209
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 8:08 am

hammertime wrote:
Fri 15 Dec, 2017 6:27 pm
Bennelong vote tomorrow - which way do you think people should be voting?
Not really a surprising result.

Kenneally was tainted goods.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Abraham
Member
Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Abraham » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 12:53 pm

formerguest wrote:
Wed 06 Dec, 2017 9:15 pm

The lack of Tony Windsor would be the simple answer for the swing.

In light of his statements on the marriage issue, I was very surprised that during the campaign the media kept so quiet about him apparently fathering a child with his well pregnant young staffer. Barnaby's daughter's tirade through the streets of Tamworth in disgust as a response to his misdeeds, though, was rightly not widely broadcast to protect her and her siblings.

I don't go much on Shorten either, but still, there is little similarity between the those already found ineligible, as those yet to be referred at least attempted to rescind prior to nomination/election, which to me is fair and quite possibly just what the judges will find.

Parliament was a joke this afternoon with a casting vote of the speaker used to stop all those with some question marks (bar the absent Sinodinos) being referred per the wishes of the entire cross bench. Really cannot understand why they are prolonging this issue any further.
Raises an interesting issue.

Should the personal deeds and misdeeds of a Politician affect whether or not they are capable of doing a good job in office, and whether we consider this when voting for them?

I'll put my hand up and say that if i disagree with someone's personal actions, i probably wouldn't vote for them. Realistically, no one is perfect and if everyone did what i did, most current PMs would be out of a job.

Just because the Candidate is a creep however, doesn't mean they wouldn't do a good job at representing their electorate.

Post Reply