Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
Yossarian

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Post by Yossarian » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:03 pm

Okay seeing as though you're returning to your condescending way of discussion I'll break off. As usual you change your definition as it suits your argument. One minute 1950s Venezuela is boom time, the next it's not.

I do enjoy discussions even robust ones. I don't enjoy people who belittle and who won't bend at all. Worse are those with an inflated sense of their intelligence who hope that their inaccuracies go unnoticed. Many times you've been caught using inaccuracies or misrepresentations to suit your agenda. You show no sign of wanting to genuinely discuss things just a desire to present your view as fact and any dissent as being stupid.

For the first time in a longtime it's time to engage the foe button.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm

The belittling came from you, and i simply responded in kind, as i always will.

If you don't like it, don't dish it out to start with.

Sorry, but there is no moral high ground for you to occupy here.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:51 pm

Abraham wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm
The belittling came from you, and i simply responded in kind, as i always will.

If you don't like it, don't dish it out to start with.

Sorry, but there is no moral high ground for you to occupy here.
You argue like a condescending jerk. I'd say most of the people reading this thread see him sitting pretty comfortably on the moral high ground. Even people that agreed with your basic views would probably be happy to see you shot down because of your obnoxious expression.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 1:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:51 pm
You argue like a condescending jerk. I'd say most of the people reading this thread see him sitting pretty comfortably on the moral high ground. Even people that agreed with your basic views would probably be happy to see you shot down because of your obnoxious expression.
Welcome to the condescending jerk club, Nelson.

I'm nominating you for president and Jerk-in-chief.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:12 pm

So after taking more than a decade to finally unshackle our economy from the structural deficit and majority of the subsequent national debt that Howard/Costello's previous cuts gave us, their equivalents have just forced through changes that are potentially more disastrous.

Really hard to believe that changes were passed today that will likely cover the period of this and the next two elected governments.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:33 pm

Strangely I've never heard any real debate or explanation about the tax cuts. It seems a little odd given the noise about projected increasing costs of healthcare, ageing population etc.

But when you scratch beneath the surface, it gets weird.

From 2025, the tax cuts are massively skewed to benefit those on high incomes. I did these calculations showing annual wage, tax cut and the tax cut as a % of income:

$25,000 $200 saving 0.8% of income
$50,000 $540 saving 1.08% of income
$100,000 $1125 saving 1.13% income
$150,000 $3375 saving 2.25% income
$200,000 $7225 saving 3.61% income

Seems really unfair. A 3.61% saving to someone on a lower income would make a big difference whereas Mr/Ms $200k will probably use it to further rort the tax system through negative gearing a useless unproductive asset (i.e an investment property).

Some of the politicians who claim they supported the legislation to help working class families are nothing short of disgraceful.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:55 pm

Just another decision to help the rich get richer at the expense of many working Australians