Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
happy tiger

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Post by happy tiger » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 12:32 pm

CB we need you again , don't be long , understand it's your birthday , but get us out of this BBF conundrum PLEASE

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 1:05 pm

Boy, Chile, reminds me of the time I went to the Philippines with my Norths barekunckle boxing mate and Dallas Donnelly's cousin. We went initially to protest nuclear power even though the country had no intention of ever pursuing that path and wound up running around with Duterte summarily executing alleged drug dealers. My days of using squatting families for target practice came in bloody handy let me tell you. Duterte was by no means a Buzz Aldrin but boy was he a space cadet, but incidentally did also mention that Farah was a hooker of astronomical proportions, and that JT was the Wally Schirra of the Rugby League world.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 1:15 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 1:05 pm
Boy, Chile, reminds me of the time I went to the Philippines with my Norths barekunckle boxing mate and Dallas Donnelly's cousin. We went initially to protest nuclear power even though the country had no intention of ever pursuing that path and wound up running around with Duterte summarily executing alleged drug dealers. My days of using squatting families for target practice came in bloody handy let me tell you. Duterte was by no means a Buzz Aldrin but boy was he a space cadet, but incidentally did also mention that Farah was a hooker of astronomical proportions, and that JT was the Wally Schirra of the Rugby League world.
Phew Thanks CB , things ramped up to Level 5 so quick :pray:

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 7:16 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:01 am
formerguest wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:04 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 8:03 am
Silentio wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 4:33 pm
Strangely I've never heard any real debate or explanation about the tax cuts. It seems a little odd given the noise about projected increasing costs of healthcare, ageing population etc.

But when you scratch beneath the surface, it gets weird.

From 2025, the tax cuts are massively skewed to benefit those on high incomes. I did these calculations showing annual wage, tax cut and the tax cut as a % of income:

$25,000 $200 saving 0.8% of income
$50,000 $540 saving 1.08% of income
$100,000 $1125 saving 1.13% income
$150,000 $3375 saving 2.25% income
$200,000 $7225 saving 3.61% income

Seems really unfair. A 3.61% saving to someone on a lower income would make a big difference whereas Mr/Ms $200k will probably use it to further rort the tax system through negative gearing a useless unproductive asset (i.e an investment property).

Some of the politicians who claim they supported the legislation to help working class families are nothing short of disgraceful.
Negative gearing needs to change now. It should be grandfathered though, the housing market will implode if you abolish it altogether.
Yeah agreed, particularly as many of those that are set to gain the most out of these tax cuts are already utilising this opening, along with generous superannuation concessions to minimise their liabilities. Governments should be about communities, not about assisting those in the Tooraks or Double Bays of our land, which is where the most benefit of these latest tax cuts will fall, rather than the residents of rural areas and outer suburbs that need the break.

I am not against people earning a decent income for their endeavour and labour, nor using the rules to obtain the best outcome for themselves, but those that are on the higher incomes are generally the ones making the decisions and rules that are framing the increasing disparity between the haves and have nots. The income gap between corporates and service employees has become obscene over the last three and a bit decades, whilst their tax liabilities have also fallen dramatically.
Oh look I agree. The problem with a housing market implosion is that it just doesn't affect the investors, sole home owners (many of whom are struggling,) will have the value of their properties wiped as well.
Re: foreign investment buying up properties to accrue value / hiding it from a communist government.

One way many countries have got around the conundrum of citizens missing out on owning there own home and inflated housing prices is to cap foreign investment at 50%.

It seems to work well in the countries I have seen it.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 11:19 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 11:41 am
magpiecol wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 11:39 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 9:15 am
magpiecol wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 11:18 pm

What the hell are you on.?

Fake news from go to whoa.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:
What’s happening with the wall Col?
I'm sure it will be built before climate change kills us all.
Hmm almost the mid terms. Construction was meant to start like 2 months into his term 🤔
Catch up. It has started.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 11:22 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 11:45 am
Trump is using the MP13 gang for the mid-terms like Howard used Tampa. Just like I used the Chinese businessmen above.
You really can't get anything right.

Try MS 13.

:crazy

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 11:54 pm

Silentio wrote:
Strangely I've never heard any real debate or explanation about the tax cuts. It seems a little odd given the noise about projected increasing costs of healthcare, ageing population etc.

From 2025, the tax cuts are massively skewed to benefit those on high incomes. I did these calculations showing annual wage, tax cut and the tax cut as a % of income:

Seems really unfair. A 3.61% saving to someone on a lower income would make a big difference whereas Mr/Ms $200k will probably use it to further rort the tax system through negative gearing a useless unproductive asset (i.e an investment property).

Some of the politicians who claim they supported the legislation to help working class families are nothing short of disgraceful.
Nice try Labor Party Stooge! The people who pay the most tax in OZ are set to get a decent tax cut. Wow! Meanwhile, we actually have to borrow money and pay billions of interest just so we can keep paying the terrorist Hamas Palestinians $40m & Indonesia $400m helicopter fleet and the Muslims terrorists in the Philippines $20m! Yep & don't forget the waste to fund Labor's unfunded NDIS & unfunded Gonski crap! Meanwhile Part 2 - We are so stupid to think Coal is the problem when we sell it to China & India etc yet we don't use it ourselves to reduce our power costs! I am sick of Lefty Lunacy. More than 300 new coal fired power stations are being built around our region and we are closing ours! Global Warming and Climate Change are s***! Just sayin!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 6:20 am

magpiecol wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 11:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 24 Jun, 2018 9:15 am

What’s happening with the wall Col?
Hmm almost the mid terms. Construction was meant to start like 2 months into his term 🤔
Poor Col. Hate to say it but it hasn’t

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 6:47 am

A small section of the wall was started on 3rd June 2018 to add to what the usa had built 15-20 years ago.It is all window dressing from trump who is now claiming that maybe the mexicans wont have to pay as much to build it though mexico state they will pay zero.
You couldnt make up the stuff that trump comes out with.The tariff war with china and the rest of the world is rapidly escalating and he is claiming to have stopped NK nukes.
I am 65 and lived through the cold war and the "mad"theory which went with it.Now we have an ego driven would be dictator in charge of the most powerful nation on earth.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 7:41 am

LeichhardtTiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 11:54 pm
Silentio wrote:

Nice try Labor Party Stooge! The people who pay the most tax in OZ are set to get a decent tax cut. Wow! Meanwhile, we actually have to borrow money and pay billions of interest just so we can keep paying the terrorist Hamas Palestinians $40m & Indonesia $400m helicopter fleet and the Muslims terrorists in the Philippines $20m! Yep & don't forget the waste to fund Labor's unfunded NDIS & unfunded Gonski crap! Meanwhile Part 2 - We are so stupid to think Coal is the problem when we sell it to China & India etc yet we don't use it ourselves to reduce our power costs! I am sick of Lefty Lunacy. More than 300 new coal fired power stations are being built around our region and we are closing ours! Global Warming and Climate Change are s***! Just sayin!
Simple way to reduce power costs and emissions at the same time: A few strategically placed nuclear reactors. We sit on an estimated third of the worlds uranium deposits, our OHS laws are ridiculously stringent and we are a stable tectonic mass of land. Based on the yield per kg mined, uranium was actually cheaper than coal.

Admittedly I don't know the meat and potatoes of the NDIS but I would have thought anything that assisted those who are most vulnerable would be well received and supported. I would much prefer tax dollars going to the disabled rather than see tax cuts for multinationals who do everything they can to avoid paying tax as it is, or politician pay rises.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 7:51 am

LeichhardtTiger wrote:

Australia was instrumental in creating the State of Israel, we moved the motion in the United Nations, we helped create 70 years of hatred, turmoil and destitution. You are correct Australian should not be paying $40m to Hamas that is I presume for welfare due to them being refugees. It is in International Law that the occupying force, Israel, is responsible for the welfare of the occupied people- instead Israel is kicking Palestinians off their land and creating more destitution and terrorism. There should not be any Muslim or Jewish state.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 9:15 am

LeichhardtTiger wrote:
Silentio wrote:

You should have watched Q&A last night

Solely about people with disabilities and a lot aimed at the NDIS

We should be voting with our fingers and giving up our income tax cuts to further fund the NDIS and the carers of disabilities

NDIS has the ability to be one of the best concepts since Medicare , one of the few things labour have been on a winner with

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 12:35 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 26 Jun, 2018 6:20 am
magpiecol wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
magpiecol wrote:

Get off the fake news channels. It has.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 12:44 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 26 Jun, 2018 12:35 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Fake news as in the Presidents twitter where he regularly calls for it be built? Btw, how does construction start on something that has not even been funded?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 2:10 pm

Great Wall of Texas , sounds like a brilliant country love song

10th Wonder of the Modern World

Has a ring to it , imagine the tourism dollars

Trump is a master politician , and he , his party and the rest of the US didn't even know it

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 2:16 pm

For people complaining about so called tax cuts for the rich, the statistics show that for at least the last decade, the top 10% of Income earners pay 45% of total income taxes in this country.

That means the remaining 90% of the population only pays 55% of total income taxes.

The aim of any tax system should be for all taxpayers to shoulder a fair and equitable burden.

Obviously a poor man can't pay large amounts of tax from a small income base. But its also a fair point that the current system acts as a disincentive for people to work harder, take risks, and achieve higher rates of income, when half ends up going back into the hands of wasteful governments.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 2:36 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 26 Jun, 2018 12:35 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
magpiecol wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Then you should have no dramas finding a source to show that it has. Trump's Twitter does not count either.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 3:55 pm

Abraham wrote:
Tue 26 Jun, 2018 2:16 pm
For people complaining about so called tax cuts for the rich, the statistics show that for at least the last decade, the top 10% of Income earners pay 45% of total income taxes in this country.

That means the remaining 90% of the population only pays 55% of total income taxes.

The aim of any tax system should be for all taxpayers to shoulder a fair and equitable burden.

Obviously a poor man can't pay large amounts of tax from a small income base. But its also a fair point that the current system acts as a disincentive for people to work harder, take risks, and achieve higher rates of income, when half ends up going back into the hands of wasteful governments.
That disincentive for rich people to earn more could be a plus. It could result in them being less money-oriented and having a more balanced life. As well as giving less fortunate people a chance to earn more income and to get ahead. After a certain amount of income happiness does not increase in proportion as well as distorting decisions being based on financial considerations rather than more human reasons.

I can understand for example health professionals completing full hours as is necessary for many reasons but their income would probably be below $750K pa and could be ;justified substantially for the responsibility and everything else involved. But for someone like Zuckerberg being worth hundreds of millions etc. is just absurd.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)