Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
colmcd

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Post by colmcd » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:22 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:25 pm
If Phelps loses it's her own fault for preferencing the Libs. Her own preferences were never going to be a factor but she may have angered enough ALP and Green voters to sink her. I still think she wins though.
The way that Antony Green has put it.
They have gone to postals. The Liberals would need a 64% postal vote flow to them of all postal votes and even then they are 58 votes short.

What will happen is scrutineers will be all over that count and the Karen Phelps volunteers will let their guard down a little but the Labor/Greens faithful will keep the count going.
Libs deserve a lot worse then a 1 seat minority government.
I suspect scomo will go to the polls. If he does not, he won't be able to get anything through and face no confidence motions in dutton, etc al.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:55 am

Turnbull was well liked in Wentworth. The backlash against the Libs was always going to happen.

Not sure is Scomo will go to the polls. I am not sure the LNP will survive it, especially after a narrow scrape last election. The ALP will likely get a token term, hopefully they present sensible policy to guarantee it and not just sit back expecting that the issues within the Liberal Party will get them home. I think Scomo will try to hang on as long as possible because as I recall, the coalition did not receive a boost from the change in leadership.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:09 am

I think it's going to happen right across the board, not just Wentworth. A lot of people are fed up and I'm glad there is a clear message that will come out.

As much as i dislike shorten, hopefully Australians can send a result next election as to what they think about chopping and changing PM's.

The most amazing thing is the liberals blaming it on turnbull. Looks like they're going to need more slap downs for it to sink in.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:13 am

The problem is, I don't think ALP will be above knifing a sitting PM again. The moment Shorten becomes a liability as a PM, they will scramble to save their own necks and there will always be some opportunist. Would have thought the Liberal Party would have learned from the Rudd/Gillard years but they didn't, what is to say the ALP won't?
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:42 am

The only way is to keep booting them out till the dimwits get it through their noggin cb.

There's only one thing they care about - getting re-elected. Once theyre smart enough to correlate it, then we might see progress.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm

hammertime wrote:
Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:42 am
The only way is to keep booting them out till the dimwits get it through their noggin cb.

There's only one thing they care about - getting re-elected. Once theyre smart enough to correlate it, then we might see progress.
You are correct but i dont expect to see it in my time polies of all persuasions are all about self preservation instead of governing for all of the people.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 12:59 pm

When they got rid of Julie Bishop i knew that was a sinking ship. Her work ethic was relentless @ DFAT

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 1:01 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 22 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm
hammertime wrote:
Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:42 am

You are correct but i dont expect to see it in my time polies of all persuasions are all about self preservation instead of governing for all of the people.
Yep. They do what they can to keep their snouts in the trough.
Madge's Maulers.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm

As expected, Dems take control of the House.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 4:09 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 07 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm
But Col said the GOP would get a bigger majority.... #koolaid

:righton: :righton: :righton:
Madge's Maulers.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 5:20 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 07 Nov, 2018 4:09 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 07 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm
But Col said the GOP would get a bigger majority.... #koolaid

:righton: :righton: :righton:
Yep, can’t believe the polls.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 2:43 pm

Mr Trump just keeps on winning. Looking forward to the next six years.

Some of you people really need to stay away from CNN etc.

May I suggest a real news channel which would be fair and also balanced. Now, let me see......

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 2:49 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 2:43 pm
Mr Trump just keeps on winning. Looking forward to the next six years.

Some of you people really need to stay away from CNN etc.

May I suggest a real news channel which would be fair and also balanced. Now, let me see......
Yeah, he won in the house didn't he Col.

Oh wait...

Guess who has subpoena now....

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 3:00 pm

The result is almost unprecedented in US political history.

To put it into perspective, Obama lost 63 house seats and lost 6 Senate seats in 2010 during his first midterms.

Trump only lost 33/34 house seats, including 4 in PA which occurred due to new boundaries, and actually GAINED more seats in the Senate.

Each side will spin it their own way, but many are arguing that these dynamics will actually assist him in the 2020 presidential election.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 3:04 pm

Sweet bugger all will get done in the next two years. Despite Pelosi's comments, the Dems will have zero interest in working with Trump and as a result the Dems and GOP will cockblock each other at every turn in their respective houses.
Madge's Maulers.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 3:16 pm

The Dems were never going to win the Senate. They were defending triple the amount of seats the Republicans were. The focus was winning the House, which they did. There is definitely an argument that he had success in the Senate, but its total delusionment to suggest he dominated when he lost the house. He now leaves himself open to a house who will finally introduce some checks and balances. It might not have been the "blue wave" a lot predicted, but it was enough. And it gives them something to build on heading into 2020.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 4:01 pm

The result only highlights the divisions in the usa which trump continually widens.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 4:12 pm

It confirms the Democrat's worst fears that 2016 was not just some weird aberration that would be overturned the next time around.

The Republican's consolidated their new Trump base, and in a midterm that traditionally should have seen the Republicans suffer huge losses, it just didn't happen. Its not all roses for them, as they did really badly in urban areas, which is a concern.

The Democrats and their supporters have been at 11/10 in terms of screaming and hysteria for two straight years, non stop fake scandals, and after pulling out all the stops and every dirty trick, they ended up with only a lukewarm result.

It wasn't a failure by any means, but it was well down on their own expectations.