Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

General Social Discussion
User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Re: Politics

Unread post by hammertime » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 10:08 am

Yossarian wrote:Hammertime - Costello to my knowledge has a degree in arts/law - do you think being a lawyer is a better qualification to being treasurer than having a public administration degree? If so, why?

Tax cuts aren't sound economic policy when growth is high and inflation is pushing up interest rates. That is dumb policy and the only reason to do is to win an election.
You are right, but a law degree takes a much higher aptitude than a arts degree. Arts is like 60 UAI, law is 95 UAI.

You do make a good point about the cuts leading to inflation. I didn't agree with them towards the end, but they outlined their policy early of giving back surplus funds to the public and I think they just had to run with that. Inflation was always in the target band, however it did creep up towards the end of their term.

I got to work on some good policy when I was there. Including a lot of indigenous work that they never got credit for. They really tried hard to do meaningful stuff that set the country up to be the prosperous country that we have today. Sure it's easy when you have the revenue, but they could have easily spent it on something counter intuitive to the future problems of this nation.. like um, I don't know, school halls. Rather than the baby bonus, super tax cuts, work choices, future fund.. all designed to set us up and make us competitive for the next 20 years.

When you look toward the future, tell me one bit of policy Rudd has designed that hasn't run counter intuitive to this major problem? Besides increasing the retirement age. Is it the cash handouts ('loans')? means testing environment rebates? school halls? removing work choices? the pension increases? reducing the private health rebate? any of those fit the bill?

Add all those up, add the interest payments from them, reduce our revenues, and project them into the forward estimates over the next 20 years and you'll see why I'm passionate about getting these guys out of power now.


User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Unread post by Yossarian » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 6:11 pm

hammertime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Hammertime - Costello to my knowledge has a degree in arts/law - do you think being a lawyer is a better qualification to being treasurer than having a public administration degree? If so, why?

Tax cuts aren't sound economic policy when growth is high and inflation is pushing up interest rates. That is dumb policy and the only reason to do is to win an election.
You are right, but a law degree takes a much higher aptitude than a arts degree. Arts is like 60 UAI, law is 95 UAI.
Please. That's an elitist argument with no basis in fact. By that logic we should have vets as treasurer. As hard as it may be to believe, not everyone wants to be a lawyer. There are plenty of very smart people who are happy to do BA - your belief that law requires "a much higher aptitude" is frankly insulting. There tons of very dim people with law degrees out there. The ability to swallow law texts and regurgitate enough it to pass a degree is no sign of an ability to manage an economy. I'd have thought that public administration is a hell of a lot closer to being relevent.

*Disclaimer - I have a BA (Hons). I also have a Masters degree in Public Policy but I'm guessing a law degree still trumps that. I could have and could still do law but I have no interest in doing so.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Unread post by hammertime » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 7:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
hammertime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Hammertime - Costello to my knowledge has a degree in arts/law - do you think being a lawyer is a better qualification to being treasurer than having a public administration degree? If so, why?

Tax cuts aren't sound economic policy when growth is high and inflation is pushing up interest rates. That is dumb policy and the only reason to do is to win an election.
You are right, but a law degree takes a much higher aptitude than a arts degree. Arts is like 60 UAI, law is 95 UAI.
Please. That's an elitist argument with no basis in fact. By that logic we should have vets as treasurer. As hard as it may be to believe, not everyone wants to be a lawyer. There are plenty of very smart people who are happy to do BA - your belief that law requires "a much higher aptitude" is frankly insulting. There tons of very dim people with law degrees out there. The ability to swallow law texts and regurgitate enough it to pass a degree is no sign of an ability to manage an economy. I'd have thought that public administration is a hell of a lot closer to being relevent.

*Disclaimer - I have a BA (Hons). I also have a Masters degree in Public Policy but I'm guessing a law degree still trumps that. I could have and could still do law but I have no interest in doing so.
Sorry mate, didn't mean offence. There are exceptions, I agree, you may be one of them Yossarian. But, I think with a given sample population, what I said will hold true. UAI entrance levels do mean something, it does have a basis of fact.

I studied finance/economics, which crossed over with the law students double degrees. Largely, the law guys were in the top tier.

Anyway, I'm done standing on my soap box... I've said my peace. Like I said, I voted labor, because I wanted the environment fixed. But, I'm in Generation Y, so that's why I'm unhappy with what they have done. I'm really only thinking of myself and the future of my generation. So, it's a bit self centered. Gen Y isn't a big voting demographic, so I hope we do end up getting some generational equality. It just doesn't look good right now...

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Unread post by Yossarian » Thu 04 Feb, 2010 12:14 am

No worries Hammertime - no offence taken!

User avatar
Juro
Member
Member
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:15 am

Unread post by Juro » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:13 pm

Gotta laugh at the liberals at the moment. They are jumping up and down saying Rudd wants to increase taxes to pay for his hospital reform. But then the next day Abbott is proposing paid maternity leave, funded by a "levy" on big businesses.

It's not a tax, it's a levy.

Just like the superannuation surcharge tax wasn't a tax, it was a surcharge.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...


User avatar
AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 8:28 am
Location: Behind You!
Contact:

Unread post by AndTheKungFoSing » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:52 am

Juro wrote:Gotta laugh at the liberals at the moment. They are jumping up and down saying Rudd wants to increase taxes to pay for his hospital reform. But then the next day Abbott is proposing paid maternity leave, funded by a "levy" on big businesses.

It's not a tax, it's a levy.

Just like the superannuation surcharge tax wasn't a tax, it was a surcharge.
They are pathetic...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

User avatar
Zaibatsu
Member
Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:25 am
Location: Gold Coast

Unread post by Zaibatsu » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 12:49 pm

I am a swing voter, I voted for Rudd in the last election but am starting to wish I hadn't, honestly if it wasn't for Howard's stubborn stance on work choices then he would have walked back in, Liberals commited political suicide there...

As we stand at the moment I don't rate either party, I don't like Rudd and I don't like Abbott, we are screwed either way at the moment I reckon :(

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 1:17 pm

When you see the 'Built by Labor' plaques outside our new school halls when we vote, people will start to see what they have been trying to achieve the whole time. Reelection.

The problem with Labor governments is that they eventually run out of other peoples money. At least the libs do what is needed, not popular.

I just hope Abbott doesn't throw too many air swings! Looks like he has with this 'levy'.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25092
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: MT Cook

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:46 pm

Will we have our first female Prime Minister this time next week...

Stay tuned.....

Rudd's a dud but Gillard...God no...

Thoughts?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10317
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:50 pm

Can the GG still sack the PM? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
alex
Member
Member
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Haberfield

Unread post by alex » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:55 pm

IMO all the politicians we have in the country are duds ..

My grandfather always said to me "to have a strong government, you need a strong opposition".

Rudd's a dud. Gillard's no better. But what's worse is that if Labor lose the election, Abbott's running the country! I believe if there is a change in government at the next election it will be because Labor lose it, not because the Libs win it.

Then you get to State government. Kristina Keneally is doing nothing, and Fatty O'Barrell in the opposition is as useless as a parachute in a spelling bee.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Unread post by stryker » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:00 pm

Geo. wrote:Will we have our first female Prime Minister this time next week...

Stay tuned.....

Rudd's a dud but Gillard...God no...

Thoughts?
Could be as soon as tonight mate....last sitting day toworrow for 2 months.

Hope it happens, will almost gaurantee that these morons will be thrown out next election.

User avatar
AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 8:28 am
Location: Behind You!
Contact:

Unread post by AndTheKungFoSing » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:40 pm

stryker wrote:Hope it happens, will almost gaurantee that these morons will be thrown out next election.
So you consider the Liberal Party led by Abbott a success? A liberal party with the likes of Joe Hockey and Julia Bishop....

I much prefer Gillard, while I have no idea why the Labor party are so stupid as to perform such a stunt! Rudd will get the nod and he's done the right thing in this instance by calling this ballot...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

User avatar
BrissieTiger67
Member
Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 8:51 am

Unread post by BrissieTiger67 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm

no way they can't perform something like this and not be serious about it, gillard is going to be head of australia in the morning. i think australia will probably take to her pretty quickly cos shes be the brains behind the giggling school boy that has been rudds reign.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Unread post by stryker » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:49 pm

Mate if you cant see how absolutely hopeless this present government is then you have blinkers on.

By the way Gillard was the architect and overseer of the worst rort in governement history - the B.E.R

All the commentators say that Rudd is done.

User avatar
alien
Member
Member
Posts: 8720
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 8:49 pm

Unread post by alien » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm

Geo. wrote:Will we have our first female Prime Minister this time next week...

Stay tuned.....

Rudd's a dud but Gillard...God no...

Thoughts?
Women shouldn't even be allowed to vote let alone becoming Prime Minister!


Image

User avatar
wtffl2005
Member
Member
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:56 am
Location: Fremantle

Unread post by wtffl2005 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:03 pm

:lol: there digging the hole deeper :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Kul
Member
Member
Posts: 5797
Joined: Sat 04 Jul, 2009 12:24 am
Location: Balmain

Unread post by Kul » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:27 pm

A Gillard v Turnbull election would be amazing

You could put any chick, even belinda neal, in as PM and Tony would be unable to win.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”

cron