General Social Discussion
Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:09 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:07 am
Religious grounds is a cop out on any subject, and it's an easy one to do almost anything .
Even Muslims can't agree that the Burqa has any religious significence at all. It's mostly the over zealous that seem to get all funny about it.
I don't really mind what any religion does or says as long as they don't try and override laws and customs of the country that they move to, and be happy to live peacefully alongside those who disagree with them( which most of them do happily)
I couldn't care less if they sat on the fence and prayed to the moon, if that's what they want to do. As long as they didn't mind if I did a bit of Devil worshipping in my back yard in my spare time.
Agree mate. I personally loathe religion but as long as adherents do not attempt to impose religious laws on a secular society they should be free to practise as they wish.

Trying to ban a burqa is an imposition on personal religious freedom. Imagine telling the Christians in this country they shouldn't be allowed to wear a cross. However, if a woman wearing a burqa is asked to identify herself, she should damn well comply with the secular laws of the country as they supercede any religious/cultural custom or law.

Can't remember the quote word for word, but there's a good one that goes along the lines of "When a society cedes liberty in the name of security, they deserve neither."
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:28 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 4:41 am
If we are going to waste money on a plebiscite on whether we can stop two people getting married ot not( not that it's anyone's business except the two people concerned) can we have one on the Burka as well, seeing as our opinion is now valuable to our jelly legged Pollies. (Including the ones who are there illegally elected).

Just a question on the burka . No one has ever given a reasonable reason that I can't go into a bank with a motor bike helmet covering my identity. But I can whack a Burka on and do what ever I like. Double standards ????

Question 2

One other question about the ever expanding numbers of sheepish Kiwis that have infiltrated our parliament over the years.

The current PM has said that dear old Barnaby can re nominate in any by election ( if the High court upholds the Constitution, and rules it's illegal to be in the parliament if he is a dual citizen.
If that is established, (that he's there illegally), wouldn't that mean that He, (and all the others in the same boat), would have been illegally elected at every election that they have contested, and would also have been receiving a bundle of taxpayers money illegally, over their total time in the parliament.including their ridiculously bloated Parliamentary Pension entitlements.
As the law stands now , they are illegally elected, and should have to pay back ALL money received illegally.

As far as I can see that's black and white ,
We're constantly told that ignorance of any law, is not a defence.
But it will be interesting to see how this mob slither out of this one
Actually they should all be sacked anyway, even if it is simply for being so dumb as to not know if they were citizens of another Country. Even those who are using the ever popular Shane Warne excuse " it was Mums fault"
Re Question 2

1. It's only those who are unfortunate enough to be unemployed who are considered guilty until proven innocent by the Conservatives.
2. It's not that the snout is in the trough, it is the length of the snout.
3. The horror, shock, conspiracy and diplomatic incident arose because the born to rule conservatives got found out by the SMH.
4. It's all Labor's fault.

Lastly the National Party changed it's name from the Country Party because most didn't know which country (ies) they were citizens of.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:52 am

Nick X now a Brit citizen but refusing to go. Wasn't he one of the team which was going to keep the pollies honest? Snout = trough = length.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:59 am

It seems everything is now okay for Nick,

Xenophon thought he might be the product of a second immaculate conception - like Jesus, "god" was lso his father.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:00 am

Is he actually a citizen, or just checking due to his father?

I am sure if it comes out he'd walk, he seems to be one of the few that has integrity.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks also to the LNP staffer who first set this ball rolling against the Greens. Ha

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:02 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:00 am

I am sure if it comes out he'd walk, he seems to be one of the few that has integrity.
He's with Joyce, Nash and Canavan. The two Greens demonstrated integrity and they should be brought back!

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:10 am

Xenophon better not vote on the media legislation. How many important pieces of legislation has he voted on where he had no right to do so?

Also, the jobs lost at Williamtown in Melbourne and Forgacs in Newcastle because Pyne, Xenophon and his other SA cronies wanted the new frigates and offshore patrol vessels built in SA?

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:15 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:02 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:00 am

He's with Joyce, Nash and Canavan. The two Greens demonstrated integrity and they should be brought back!
No, they all should be stood down. They've been elected contrary to Section 44. They should all go, and stand again for their seats in a by-election (for the House of Reps,) once they've renounced all citizenships elsewhere, and the Senate they should be forced to go and have their seats filled by a legitimate candidate, whereupon they can stand again when the next term rolls around.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 263 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:59 am

Oooooooooooh Section 44..

Another outdated archaic rule to get all in a flap about...

Forget about Energy Prices a sustainable future, Education, Health Care, an ageing population..who bloody cares as long as your grandfather's uncle's aunty wasn't a Kiwi...

Fair suck of the Sav..and people wander why..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:36 pm

The Labor party is the only one that has a reasonable vetting process and aint it showing. Don't care for technicalities, if you are supposed to be smart enough to a parliamentarian then you dam sure should be smart enough to know your heritage and any possible affect it may have when signing a declaration.

As for Canavan, not buying that he had no idea. The dimwit from one nation, well he thinks that the aboriginals were liberated by the British, so he needs to be institutionalised.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:58 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:09 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 9:07 am
Religious grounds is a cop out on any subject, and it's an easy one to do almost anything .
Even Muslims can't agree that the Burqa has any religious significence at all. It's mostly the over zealous that seem to get all funny about it.
I don't really mind what any religion does or says as long as they don't try and override laws and customs of the country that they move to, and be happy to live peacefully alongside those who disagree with them( which most of them do happily)
I couldn't care less if they sat on the fence and prayed to the moon, if that's what they want to do. As long as they didn't mind if I did a bit of Devil worshipping in my back yard in my spare time.
Agree mate. I personally loathe religion but as long as adherents do not attempt to impose religious laws on a secular society they should be free to practise as they wish.

Trying to ban a burqa is an imposition on personal religious freedom. Imagine telling the Christians in this country they shouldn't be allowed to wear a cross. However, if a woman wearing a burqa is asked to identify herself, she should damn well comply with the secular laws of the country as they supercede any religious/cultural custom or law.

Can't remember the quote word for word, but there's a good one that goes along the lines of "When a society cedes liberty in the name of security, they deserve neither."
Pretty well my thoughts. Don't like the burqa or any of the religious stuff, but it is a freedom.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:59 am

Forget about Energy Prices a sustainable future, Education, Health Care, an ageing population..who bloody cares as long as your grandfather's uncle's aunty wasn't a Kiwi...

Simple really, if you want to be in Federal Parliament you be a citizen of Australia only. I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation.

Also, for Joyce, Nash, Canavan, Roberts and Xenophon

"Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia provides that if a Senator or member of the House of Representatives is constitutionally ineligible or disqualified from holding that position, they will be liable to pay any person who sues for it 100 pounds for every day that they have sat."

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:12 pm

Geo. wrote:

You don't think it's important that people with citizenship, and therefore possible allegiances to other nations, should not be able to stand for election?

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:14 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:04 pm
Geo. wrote:

Simple really, if you want to be in Federal Parliament you be a citizen of Australia only. I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation.

Also, for Joyce, Nash, Canavan, Roberts and Xenophon

"Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia provides that if a Senator or member of the House of Representatives is constitutionally ineligible or disqualified from holding that position, they will be liable to pay any person who sues for it 100 pounds for every day that they have sat."
100 British Pounds is $163.24 in AUD, consider Fiona Nash who has sat for what 13 years?

$775K!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Abraham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Abraham » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:19 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:12 pm
You don't think it's important that people with citizenship, and therefore possible allegiances to other nations, should not be able to stand for election?
Agree in principal, but when you're Australian born and bred, and unknowlingly a citizen of a foreign country only because your parent or grandparent was born overseas (or in Canavan's case applied for citizenship behind his back), i think abit of common sense and discretion goes a long way.

I don't have sympathy for the foreign born Greens in this situation though, because anybody with even a minimal IQ would understand that being born overseas means you are probably a citizen of the country you were born in.

The High Court should put an end to this fiasco shortly anyhow.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 263 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:41 pm

What Abe said...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:52 pm

Abraham wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:19 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:12 pm
Agree in principal, but when you're Australian born and bred, and unknowlingly a citizen of a foreign country only because your parent or grandparent was born overseas (or in Canavan's case applied for citizenship behind his back), i think abit of common sense and discretion goes a long way.

I don't have sympathy for the foreign born Greens in this situation though, because anybody with even a minimal IQ would understand that being born overseas means you are probably a citizen of the country you were born in.

The High Court should put an end to this fiasco shortly anyhow.
Ironic really when Xenophon holds himself up as the protector of process but now is refusing to go. Ignorance is no excuse.

Return to “General Discussion”