General Social Discussion
magpiecol
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Politics Super Thread - keep it all in here

Unread post by magpiecol » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 9:06 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:53 am
And so it begins. Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign chairman, indicted on 12 counts.
Depends on the time. Before he worked for Mr Trump, he worked for the DNC.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:03 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 9:06 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:53 am
And so it begins. Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign chairman, indicted on 12 counts.
Depends on the time. Before he worked for Mr Trump, he worked for the DNC.
Quite possibly Col. However i am sure a certain meeting that Manafort attended at Trump tower in June 2016 will be a matter of interest at some point.

hammertime
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:16 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Oct, 2017 3:24 pm
HT, if you and four or five of your mates were able to convince a govt body that you were entitled to a bucketload of money and pension or whatever payments every week, and got sprung after , let's say, 10 years.
Do you think that you should get a rap across the fingers, or do you think it would be looked at as serious,
I've seen the result , about 8 years ago, after a woman bought a house that we were selling
About six month later I had a visit from the AFP asking whether we thought she was in a relationship. I didn't have a clue either way , yet still got called as a witness. And as far as I could see , no one else had much to add to what I knew
The result on pretty flimsy evidence was .....Pay it all back + 3 years holiday.
No one cared much about her family in that case.
There's miles more evidence here that this lot have been collecting our money ( Govt have no money of their own it's OUR money , that they are throwing around ). while not being in the Parliament legally.
Funny that there's one rule forguilty people out in the public domain and one for anyone in politics. Especially Deputy PMs
Then again the Lady I mentioned wasn't needed to help keep a Govt in place , due to a permanently in crisis, PM
Call me old fashioned GCT, but it's a very different story between

1) Not knowing that you were technically ineligible to serve government and working hard for a paycheck; to
2) Purposefully deceiving government for increased dole payments (and not working for that money).

Would anyone have voted any differently if they had known he had duel citizenship? No. of course they wouldn't.

We honestly have far more important issues to be talking about.
It's does my head in that we focus more on drama these days than what's going to better our lives.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:28 pm

But if it was dual citizenship of a wartime enemy it could be a different story.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:28 pm
But if it was dual citizenship of a wartime enemy it could be a different story.
Definitely.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:48 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:28 pm
Definitely.
Which is why a catch-call clause barring dual citizenship for parliamentarians has a purpose as we cannot always be sure who our future enemies will be. They could be threatened/blackmailed by their other government do this or else. I could imagine China doing such though don't know if they even allow dual citizenship, Japan does not allow.

Israel comes out yesterday (with Turnbull over there) and states Oz is a closest friend of their Jewish state but only a few years back they were forging Oz passports to do sabotage acts thereby endangering other Australian passport holders. We can't even trust our supposed friends.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:59 pm

ABC just discussing the lack of ethics of some in the press in attempting to cover up Cash misleading Parliament. Apparently it was well known Cash's Office had tipped off the press to the AWU raid yet press were happy to allow Cash to mislead Parliament five times before Buzzfeed News outed Cash's office.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 3:57 pm

hammertime wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:16 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
HT, if you and four or five of your mates were able to convince a govt body that you were entitled to a bucketload of money and pension or whatever payments every week, and got sprung after , let's say, 10 years.
Do you think that you should get a rap across the fingers, or do you think it would be looked at as serious,
I've seen the result , about 8 years ago, after a woman bought a house that we were selling
About six month later I had a visit from the AFP asking whether we thought she was in a relationship. I didn't have a clue either way , yet still got called as a witness. And as far as I could see , no one else had much to add to what I knew
The result on pretty flimsy evidence was .....Pay it all back + 3 years holiday.
There's miles more evidence here that this lot have been collecting our money ( Govt have no money of their own it's OUR money , that they are throwing around ). while not being in the Parliament legally.
Funny that there's one rule forguilty people out in the public domain and one for anyone in politics. Especially Deputy PMs
Then again the Lady I mentioned wasn't needed to help keep a Govt in place , due to a permanently in crisis, PM

1) Not knowing that you were technically ineligible to serve government and working hard for a paycheck; to
2) Purposefully deceiving government for increased dole payments (and not working for that money).

Would anyone have voted any differently if they had known he had duel citizenship? No. of course they wouldn't.

It's does my head in that we focus more on drama these days than what's going to better our lives.
True , but even if the people in the example were getting over paid without know ing they were getting more than they should. When found out, no matter how long it had been happening they'd have to pay ALL of the money back

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 4:55 pm

hammertime wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Pretty fair to say that many in the electorate would have voted differently had they known he was a dual citizen.

I think someone wanting to represent a hundred odd thousand constituents that signs a form declaring single citizenship knowing that a parent was born overseas and not checking the details is not deserving of representing those same people.

In such circumstance I believe they should be penalised in some shape or form for making a false declaration, being quite happy for the finance department to demand all payments above their base salary be repaid.

In the new case of Parry, well if he is that stupid to not declare it in the current climate so it could also be decided upon in the High Court, then he can pay back every cent
Last edited by formerguest on Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:02 pm

formerguest wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 4:55 pm

Pretty fair to say that many in the electorate would have voted differently had they known he was a dual citizen.

I think someone wanting to represent a hundred odd thousand constituents that signs a form declaring single citizenship knowing that a parent was born overseas and not checking the details is not deserving of representing those same people.

In such circumstance I believe they should be penalised in some shape or form for making a false declaration, being quite happy for the finance department to demand all payments above their base salary be repaid.
Are you talking about Penny Wong?

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:15 pm

formerguest wrote:
Well, we'll soon know.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 6:46 pm

Harvey wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:02 pm
formerguest wrote:

Are you talking about Penny Wong?
Pretty butch, but would not mention her as he. Plus she is not the deputy PM, but you never know.

Whilst I expect that her party's vetting process would not have let that slip through, each and every misrepresentation should be treated equally harshly.

Nelson
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 7:59 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 3:57 pm
hammertime wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

True , but even if the people in the example were getting over paid without know ing they were getting more than they should. When found out, no matter how long it had been happening they'd have to pay ALL of the money back
You're contrasting people getting overpaid welfare payments i.e. payments they do nothing to earn with people getting paid to do a job. I may not particularly like most politicians but they do work very hard and many of them are forced to spend significant time away from their families. Making them pay back everything back and financially crippling their families seems pretty mean-spirited to me.

magpiecol
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:45 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:59 pm
ABC just discussing the lack of ethics of some in the press in attempting to cover up Cash misleading Parliament. Apparently it was well known Cash's Office had tipped off the press to the AWU raid yet press were happy to allow Cash to mislead Parliament five times before Buzzfeed News outed Cash's office.
ABC discussing ethics?

They would not know how to spell it.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:10 pm

Nelson wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 7:59 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
hammertime wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

You're contrasting people getting overpaid welfare payments i.e. payments they do nothing to earn with people getting paid to do a job. I may not particularly like most politicians but they do work very hard and many of them are forced to spend significant time away from their families. Making them pay back everything back and financially crippling their families seems pretty mean-spirited to me.
I'm contrasting people who have done nothing wrong having to pay it back, against people who were illegally getting our money and being allowed to keep it.
As has been said often lately ignorance of a law isn't a defence for breaking it
I don't care what their circumstances are, if they're too lazy or sneaky, or just plain stupid to make sure they are qualified to suck money from the public. ( which is all a lot of them do, )
That's their problem.
One things for sure they won't be doing it again.

Do you approve of Joice picking up a motza in money which will go to him for EVERY vote that he gets in the by election that he caused , by crapping on about being innocent. Something like $3 dollars per voteand it won't be needed for his election , so it goes in his pocket. A nice little present for his dishonesty, , but then again, what would we expect from a politician.
But wouldn't it be good if he offered to pay it back , Fat Bloody Chance!

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 7:11 am

Another moronic politician isin the Poo, this is going to get interesting as this time he’s a liberal

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:15 am

Nelson wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 7:59 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
hammertime wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Everything above and beyond their parliamentary wage and base superannuation (9.5%,) should be paid back IMO. They should get no pension either.

There's a provision in the constitution isn't there that they can be taken for damages to the tune of 100 pounds per day they have illegally sat in office, isn't there? Surprised no opportunist has jumped on that yet.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:23 am

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:45 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 1:59 pm
ABC discussing ethics?

They would not know how to spell it.
Interesting that the ABC were not tipped off like the other media outlets which leads the observer to conclude there was political motivation to the exercise. Certainly the ABC made the point of highlighting this to the viewers. As for ethics, allowing a Minister to mislead Parliament and not be called to account for it is a new low in Australian Politics.

Return to “General Discussion”