Molten

ImageImageImage
Kickoff:
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast:
Anthism

Re: Molten

Post by Anthism » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:26 am

He is a great attacking player. Apparently he has a long kick that we aren't utilizing (potential is from the Souths game) he played amazingly at the start of that game Up until the incident. give him a second to catch his breath, he was in doubt for Friday and probably pressured to get back as many are.
He ate more meters than any other player vs broncos by a long shot iirc. And no I have no relation I just think its harsh to put someone down like this just because if he screws up its in the spotlight. Especially amongst a team which is its own worst enemy in terms of errors. And no just because he is fullback doesn't mean he takes every ball. No player attempted to grab the ball in both those incidents which means neither called mine. Easy fix....
I mean I can see the faults in the games of many for Friday nights effort but to suggest Moltzen is talentless suggests your credibility is horrible no matter how long you've been posting on this forum.
I'm pretty sure most players in this team get most of their runs off Marshall. What is your point? Moltzen has a good line. That's value right there to me. Player synergy is an amazing factor in this game. Are there any other players who SPECIFICALLY work well together as a pair other than Lote/Lawrence in 2010 as finishers?
You raise the point does he support anyone else in attack? Well... Has anyone so far this season?? Support play is good no matter what degree don't take it for granted.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:32 am

innsaneink wrote: And people wonder if & why there may be personality clashes in camp.
It's all speculation by the press. I don't see anything of that nature during the game. Robbie and Benji always say they're a tight group and I trust the players more than the press any day of the week in regards to that

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:39 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
I'm sick of people saying Moltzen has "talent. What talent does he have have?

He runs off Benji Marshall, what else does he bring to the team?

He rarely supports any other players. He hardly ever kicks in general play. He is terrible under the high ball. He only ever passes before the line in attack. He won't contest bombs.

Where is the talent that everybody else is seeing? Explain it to me.
Now I am not really a Tim Moltzen fan for the most of the reasons you are saying. But to say that he does not have talent is a bit over the top.To run a good line of Benji and time it takes talent. If I were fullback, I'd make sure I was trailing Benj. He is our most potent weapon and will create opportunities.

When he injects himself he can set his outside men up although he does like to trust his own speed and take the line on himself -I've no problem with that as long it works and point scoring opportunites are not butchered. It's good to see himbacking himself.

Defensively, I don't cringe when players run at him. He is no Gareth granted but he does make tackles when it counts.

Agreed that he does have issues under the high ball and was very tentative last year when returning the ball.

I don't agree with the notion that first grade footballers are robots. They're are human and have the same issues that we all see in our own respective work places. E.g. some really top perfromers get into a funk (for whatever reason) and it takes management to get them out of it or some people need to be managed in a different way to thers to get the most out them.

Ironically, my comments should be taken with the notion that Tim is part of the current squad and we need to get the most out of him. I'd say he is on fair coin and to have that in reserve grade does not make great sense. Whether we renew his contract is a total other story.

BTW I think he really wants to play 5/8 - but there is a once in a generation player called Benji in front of him. He needs to get over that.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:06 am

Anthism wrote:
innsaneink wrote: And people wonder if & why there may be personality clashes in camp.
It's all speculation by the press. I don't see anything of that nature during the game. Robbie and Benji always say they're a tight group and I trust the players more than the press any day of the week in regards to that

Im relating what Ive seen with my own two eyes at games.
Not relying on media.
I wouldnt appreciate a team mate getting up me for errors when he himself commits plenty.
Thats my point.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:11 am

innsaneink wrote:
Anthism wrote:

Not relying on media.
I wouldnt appreciate a team mate getting up me for errors when he himself commits plenty.
Thats my point.
Fullbacks as well as play makers are likely to commit the most errors ,and it is the fullbacks job to get people in the right position defensively but as you say Ink I would be more likely to cop a mouthful from Brett Hodgson than I would from Moltzen . I think it has to do with respect IMO he hasn't earned it yet

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:21 am

Just like a hooker is dummy a Fullback takes bombs we know that. A fullback that can't take a bomb is a serve liability. Moltzen has played 70 games of NRL and he well and truly knows its his ball his just too scared.
Tedesco didn't need any communication lessons, a good fullback knows its his ball and more importantly the team is confident that he will take the ball.

I doubt he would be a person guys like Miller and Humble would like to spend too much time with, doesn't strike me as a guy who would help the young guys. Benji being a fan of Moltzen doesn't help anyone including Moltzen.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:48 am

happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Anthism wrote:

Not relying on media.
Thats my point.
Fullbacks as well as play makers are likely to commit the most errors ,and it is the fullbacks job to get people in the right position defensively but as you say Ink I would be more likely to cop a mouthful from Brett Hodgson than I would from Moltzen . I think it has to do with respect IMO he hasn't earned it yet
yeh spot on happy

Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm

Imagine how the forwards must feel after they have tackled for a set to look back and see him do what he does. They have every right to be filthy on him. In actual fact, they would be justified to put one square on his chin (as happened in this clip)

Someone should give little timid a gobful and a half

rossop

Post by rossop » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:26 pm

Im a fan even after the poor bomb taking. Its always the same with some people on this forum. Some people just rip into the players when things are bad but when Moltzen has come good in the past you just go missing.

Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm

Come good in the past ? For every good game he has 4 games like Friday's
He is afraid of contact
Riminds me of the under 6s who duck their heads when a ball is passed at them
He's a liability end of story

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:48 pm

rossop wrote:Im a fan even after the poor bomb taking. Its always the same with some people on this forum. Some people just rip into the players when things are bad but when Moltzen has come good in the past you just go missing.
Go missing? I'm always here, win lose or draw.

Still nobody has explained to me what his "talent" is. Besides running off Benji what else does he bring to the team?

Only bbobb has at least given me a detailed explanation. He's a decent defender, I agree with that. But what else?

I am critical but I call it as I see it.

There was a reason James Tedesco trained at fullback for the entire off season. I watched both our trials against the Roosters and Parramatta and he showed more support play than Moltzen has ever showed? Why? Because EVERY SINGLE TIME a forward hit the line he was running right behind them ready to take an offload. He supported every ball carrier. He contested every single bomb (and did not drop a single one). That is what a fullback is supposed to do and Moltzen does not do it.

I wish everybody watched these two trials, it would open a lot of people's eyes as to what an efficient fullbacks role is.

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:59 pm

rossop wrote:Im a fan even after the poor bomb taking. Its always the same with some people on this forum. Some people just rip into the players when things are bad but when Moltzen has come good in the past you just go missing.
Okay, glad to know your opinions the only one that counts?

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:04 pm

innsaneink wrote:Im relating what Ive seen with my own two eyes at games.
Not relying on media.
Thats my point.
I think this forum is wrong with their opinions on his ability and I think it is pretty obvious as some posters are stating.

This though to me is a real concern. I don't care how much talent he has. If this is his attitude I want him gone. He makes plenty of mistakes. I don't have a major problem with it if he makes up for it, works on that aspect of his game and doesn't hang crap on other players.

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:08 pm

I'll tell the people who refuse to see it what he is good at. He has speed and evasiveness. He can run a great line. He can pass a long ball and he can put in a good long kick.

Basically he looks like a player with a tonne of ability.

Also he has been this season our best running back with the footy in his hand bar none. I'll bet if you look at line breaks he will at the very least top the backs within the team. He might possibly top the whole team.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:23 pm

Gee Hellman make up your mind , 1 post you want him gone , next post he is our superstar .

i think you nailed it with your attitude comment . if its poor than thats the one reason he shouldnt be selected,so that then falls onto the coach for selecting a player with a lousy attitude .
I would never play a kid in my concrtol if turns up with attitude on the day .ill bench him and make him play for his position .

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:25 pm

How many times has he put in "a great long kick" in first grade?

A tonne of ability? No. Marshall has a tonne of ability. Farah has a tonne of ability. Ellis has a tonne of ability.

Moltzen does not have a tonne of ability! He has speed and runs good lines of Marshall. That's it.

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:49 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:He has speed and runs good lines of Marshall. That's it.
Think about this in the context of our team. Who else has this ability ? Maybe Lawrence and even then I'm not sure he has the same speed and evasiveness that Moltzen has. Lawrence does has greater strength.

You just put in a pretty good argument for Moltzen.

As for changing my opinion - if his attitude is poor I want him gone. If he is struggling with catching the high ball when he was trialled all off-season in the 7 and is now playing fullback I can accept the lapses that have occurred when you take into consideration the upside of what he offers.

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:58 pm

There was a reason James Tedesco trained at fullback for the entire off season. I watched both our trials against the Roosters and Parramatta and he showed more support play than Moltzen has ever showed? Why? Because EVERY SINGLE TIME a forward hit the line he was running right behind them ready to take an offload. He supported every ball carrier. He contested every single bomb (and did not drop a single one). That is what a fullback is supposed to do and Moltzen does not do
Yeah Hybrid_tiger 100% agree with you there. Against Teddy its a no contest. By the time that kid finishes he will be talked about in the same breath one of the of the best we've seen.