Hit on Groat

ImageImageImage
Kickoff:
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast:
Tiges05

Re: Hit on Groat

Post by Tiges05 » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:14 am

Gould touched on a good point last night, how do you grade this...

The three gradings are careless, reckless and intentional.

It's not intentional, from looking at the replays but I definitely lean to the reckless for this sort of tackle rather than careless.

The excuse by Griffen that it's ok because he was trying to fire the team up doesn't wash. He could have tackled normally but high risk comes with high reward but also high loss also! He tried the high risk play and it didn't come off..

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

milford_magic

Post by milford_magic » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:16 am

To me the rule should be this

"If you want to risk shoulder charging, then be prepared to pay the consequences".

If a player wants to be a hero and run out and try and do the big hit, then if it works good on them, but if theres any contact with the head, then expect 5 weeks minimum. Noone means to do a deliberate high tackle, but if you run out trying to put a hit on, then its definetly as careless as any tackle in the game.

Tiges05

Post by Tiges05 » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:23 am

Agreed MM, that's exactly my point. I think it's more than careless.

Careless is a tackle that slips up or player is falling etc

The shoulder charge is an deliberate act of smashing someone. If you get it wrong, bad luck you are gone! If you don't want to risk 5 weeks on sideline, tackle normally!!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:27 am

More than half the initial contact though in tackles is chest high, theres a very fine line for error, even a genuine tackle can and does go wrong, often
Big hits do inspire teams.....why do we see players get off on it, come and and backslap everyone when they happen?
Cant turn it into net ball though

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 3:04 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Centaur wrote:JWH fell into Dwyers tackle. Groat was running standing tall.

Copped it square on the chin. Extremely dangerous hit.

Ah I think JWH was running too mate....actually he dropped his hip...not much difference if any at all....excepth the jesrseys worn of course
I just believe that JWH crouched down into a crouching Dwyer. Where as Teo jumped up to hit Groat. This is the distinct difference I can see. I just cant see how they can be called 'the same tackle'.

In the end however - Dwyer got JWH on the chin and should have been penalised - but it was no where near as bad as Teo's.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 3:58 pm

I was going to say Groat is way shorter than Teo.....I find this hard to believe but apparently groat is 6'3" and teo is 6'2"
Groats apparently only an inch shorter than Woods at 6'4"!!!!!!!

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 5:15 pm

I heard Gould say that Groat isn't tall, which made me think Gould hasn't met him up close because Groat is not short, 6'3" doesn't surprise me. Teo decided to put on a big hit, good luck to him, if it comes off great for him, if it ends up breaking the rules then he cops the consequences.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 6:23 pm

You can't ban the shoulder charge, just slap heavy penalties on those who cannot execute them correctly. If you want to use it as a means of intimidation, go ahead... But if you stuff up and severely injure someone, you deserve 4 weeks on the sidelines.

Can't go banning everything, otherwise it will end up being touch footy. I still reckon clean tackles around the ankles deserve to be rewarded to deter this sort of thing.

As I read on someone else's post earlier, props to Sammy Thaiday for paying more attention to Groat than the game. Interesting to note that pig Te'o was only interested in collecting the pill.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 8:55 pm

I think a rule could be introduced as follows:

* Teams can carry 2 EXTRA INTERCHANGE PLAYERS.

* The video ref, while assessing the replay on whether the offending player should be placed on report, can authorise the use of the extra interchange player for the rest of the game.

* Then it is up to the team whether to hold out for the player to get better and run back on, or use the extra interchange player.

* If a team decides to use the extra player, the injured player cannot return for the rest of the game.

* The punishment for the offense will still be up to the refs (penalty, sin bin, send off).

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 10:29 pm

weststigers wrote:I think a rule could be introduced as follows:

* The video ref, while assessing the replay on whether the offending player should be placed on report, can authorise the use of the extra interchange player for the rest of the game.

* Then it is up to the team whether to hold out for the player to get better and run back on, or use the extra interchange player.

* If a team decides to use the extra player, the injured player cannot return for the rest of the game.

* The punishment for the offense will still be up to the refs (penalty, sin bin, send off).
Things like last night dont happen all that frequently.
What will happen with your idea is you have 2 players most weeks doing nothing.....stretches the cap

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:12 pm

Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Any tackle above the chest is illegal.
The chest is defined as the nipple
The consequence is a send off to offending player and a penalty to the offended team.

Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:17 pm

Montague Street wrote:Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)
Any tackle above the chest is illegal.
The chest is defined as the nipple
The consequence is a send off to offending player and a penalty to the offended team.

You got one part correct.
Ridiculous idea

Most pea brained thing Ive ever read tbh

1974semifinal

Post by 1974semifinal » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 9:40 pm

Groat got flogged and our pigs did nothing...we need someone like Dallas, Bruiser or Boyd...someone who will scare the other side..Sorry to say our pigs are too nice.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:06 pm

innsaneink wrote:
weststigers wrote:I think a rule could be introduced as follows:

Things like last night dont happen all that frequently.
What will happen with your idea is you have 2 players most weeks doing nothing.....stretches the cap
Teams have enough players to do it now, so not sure how it would stretch the cap. In any event, the cap will increase. Furthermore, why would any team use the same 2 players each week? I'm sure most clubs would use a simple rotation system.

Would it be possible to cut the offending teams interchanges from 12 to 10/9/8? If interchanges have been used, the player is binned for 10....?

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:09 pm

1974semifinal wrote:Groat got flogged and our pigs did nothing...we need someone like Dallas, Bruiser or Boyd...someone who will scare the other side..Sorry to say our pigs are too nice.
Yeah I thought that too, it's a worry that even this didn't light a fire in their belly.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:10 pm

Teams have enough players to do it now,
Right.
Thats why weve just signed Cashmere and possibly Rose

How about an example of who you'd use for next weeks game for us, two players hangin' 'round, justincase

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:11 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Teams have enough players to do it now,
Right.
Thats why weve just signed Cashmere and possibly Rose

How about an example of who you'd use for next weeks game for us, two players hangin' 'round, justincase
We would have to get Mitch Brown back...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:23 pm

monkey wrote:Teo gutless dog has always gave it to us since we got rid of him why didn't someone clock him hate him nearly as much as hodges

We didn't get rid of him at all, we were trying to re-sign him. He left on his own accord