Kickoff:
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast:
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Strenth & Fitness

Post by smeghead » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:04 am

I don't want to throw around names as I am not exactly sure what everyones role is in the club. To throw Skando under the bus without naming the rest of the department by name is unjust

But we have to be the single worst team out there in terms of strength and conditioning. Almost all of our forwards look to have actually lost size over the off season and, with a few noteable exceptions, are really struggling in terms of motor.

To me it is becoming obvious we are not up to par and even more obvious the guys who are doing the extra's voluntarily that the real club players do every single week

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:11 am

smeghead wrote:I don't want to throw around names as I am not exactly sure what everyones role is in the club. To throw Skando under the bus without naming the rest of the department by name is unjust

But we have to be the single worst team out there in terms of strength and conditioning. Almost all of our forwards look to have actually lost size over the off season and, with a few noteable exceptions, are really struggling in terms of motor.

To me it is becoming obvious we are not up to par and even more obvious the guys who are doing the extra's voluntarily that the real club players do every single week
Maybe Tiger 99 can clear it up for us ??

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:15 am

I agree we don't look as fit across the board as other sides. I know we are doing a lot of defending, however our blokes dead set look out on their feet at times. Although I think the last 2 weeks has been encouraging. Especially last night we only conceded one penalty and finished with the last 10 points. So that was one positive to come out of it.

Penrith is the last chance saloon for mine. If they go there and lose to an average Penrith side and go 1 and 6 then it really is curtains.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:18 am

Only really BMM looks to have kept his size and he has impressed with his motor too, IMO.

Tiges05

Post by Tiges05 » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:26 am

What about Woods? Was still going strong at 30 min mark. It struck me when watching

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:28 am

Jobs for the boys never works..I said from day 1 a high performance trainer should of been brought in from the outside eg Folkes we all seen the results and the results speak for themselves but then some one else might look bad.

tigermaniac

Post by tigermaniac » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:32 am

Snake wrote:Jobs for the boys never works..I said from day 1 a high performance trainer should of been brought in from the outside eg Folkes we all seen the results and the results speak for themselves but then some one else might look bad.
When I mentioned this a while back, people said it wasn't the result of Folkes it was the coaching of Sheens, that we finished top 4 two years running. What do you say now eggheads.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 11:33 am

Not sure about this call. Last night we played a team who will be in the top 4 and essentially lost the game on goal kicking. The defensive effort did not indicate to me that the team is unfit. At one stage they held on for 4 consecutive sets on their line. In the second half, we beat Brisbane 2 tries to 1 with Brisbane, after belting our line time and time again, resorting to taking the 2 points.

Our biggest problems are:

1. Attack - we look disjointed and confused. Humble is not working at 7 and;
2. Injuries - we have now lost two 80 minute players for extended periods.

If we can resolve the 7 position and start to combine, we can come good towards the back end of the season. If we are to make a play for the premiership, expect it to be from positions 6-8 and coming home with a wet sail as Ellis and co return to fitness and form.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 12:20 pm

Woods is a machine, but he definitely had a strong pre-season. Groat runs out of puff too quickly but I do know he's a strong unit in the gym, Blair's workrate is not amazing, neither is his strength from what I have seen. Fulton and Farah are both fit as a fiddle but haven't changed in terms of size and strength. Heighno looked to be the same, as does Galloway.

Brisbane certainly looked powerful, they're all strong and mobile.

Out wide is where the problems lie because Ayshford is slow, Lawrence doesn't look to be exceptionally quick anymore and looks down on fitness. Lote is certainly short of a gallop, while Ryan looks to be the fittest among the backs along with Marshall. Moltzen has decent speed, but he's coming up with some poor games which isn't helping his cause.

We certainly don't look to be as quick as last year which is disappointing. We need some genuine speed out wide so I'm hoping several backs (Tuqiri, Moltzen and Utai will all move on next year and some up and comers (Koroibete, Nofoaluma, Tedesco) all get their chance, plus a couple of purchases from other clubs might not go astray.

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm

We were fitter then the the sharks in rnd 1, i think a few blokes missed the preseason but just my opinion but our use of the bench is worst then most other teams. Maybe a different approach is needed and i think Folkes really got the best out of guys muscle and fitness wise, i remember before he came Heighno and others were struggling to make an impact but the 2 seasons he was here they hit form again looked like they had grown and made more impact. Seems Heighno in particular has gone backwards.

Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 1:43 pm

Nah it's great skando for conditioning, moodie for sponsorship so he can approach phillip morris and BAT. Jobs for the boys is ok if the people are up to it. Skando certainly isn't. Every other club gets a proper trainer we get some bloke who made 27,000 comebacks and was pretty ineffective as a ball runner and bingo ... we have the most ineffective ball runners in the comp

hellman

Post by hellman » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 1:44 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:Not sure about this call. Last night we played a team who will be in the top 4 and essentially lost the game on goal kicking. The defensive effort did not indicate to me that the team is unfit. At one stage they held on for 4 consecutive sets on their line. In the second half, we beat Brisbane 2 tries to 1 with Brisbane, after belting our line time and time again, resorting to taking the 2 points.

Our biggest problems are:

1. Attack - we look disjointed and confused. Humble is not working at 7 and;
2. Injuries - we have now lost two 80 minute players for extended periods.

If we can resolve the 7 position and start to combine, we can come good towards the back end of the season. If we are to make a play for the premiership, expect it to be from positions 6-8 and coming home with a wet sail as Ellis and co return to fitness and form.
I agree with this post.

The easy option is to state that we have lost Folkes and we aren't fit enough. The truth is that fitness training is very easy. There are tonnes of stuff that you can do to get fit and gain size and/or strength.

I don't see fitness as an issue.

Our problem is simply team cohesion. Sheens needs to pick the right team and the players need to play to their ability. If so this season can be turned around.

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 9:33 am

What qualifications does Skando have? Seems to have come a long way in a short time.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:01 am

15 YEARS in grade football for starters,would a uni grad who passed with honors be a better trainer.
We are clutching at straws trying to blame Skando,as was mentioned its team cohesion.
We were coming home straight over the top of the Broncos,it took them 4 drop outs in a row to finally crack us with a bomb in the corner.
Most have been saying it for years .Pick a side with players in their right position and play to that structure.

Tigermac

Post by Tigermac » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:31 am

Doesn't Lawrence run a fitness company ???

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:45 am

YES HE DOES

Tiger99

Post by Tiger99 » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:15 pm

We miss folkesy big time. But we also miss Peter Gentle.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 1:26 pm

Tiger99 wrote:We miss folkesy big time. But we also miss Peter Gentle.

Thats an interesting post in a thread like this. It was only a week or 2 ago you said Folkes leaving has nothing to do with anything. Even said it was when Folkes gave up the conditioning mid year was when we started winning. And you said Georgallis had been great for our defence.

Now in a thread about fitness, you dont mention Skando or Georgallis, you mention us missing our former fitness man in Folkes and our former defence coach in Gentle.

I find this interesting.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS