Cashmere

ImageImageImage
willow

Re: Cashmere

Post by willow » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 1:03 pm

85 metres in attack, 26 tackles, 2 offloads plus a try. Not bad for 37 minutes of game time.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 1:04 pm

That is a lot of involvement!

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 1:04 pm

Welcome back Cashy, should have never let you go...Great game
Bull

rossop

Post by rossop » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 1:59 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Ran hard, offloaded and tackled hard. So did moors

So I expect them both to be dropped next game for groat and Meaney.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
You may be correct! With Groat, I like his commitment but I think he's a bit on the small side to go charging straight at the line like he did when he got KOd. I'm not sure if its a good idea to start him. Maybe on the bench? As opposed to Woods I really dont think he's up to it. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 2:15 pm

Ray made the difference yesterday He can't be dropped. Sorry Groaty have a run in under 20's for a while.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:34 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Ran hard, offloaded and tackled hard. So did moors

So I expect them both to be dropped next game for groat and Meaney.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
No thread is complete without the obligatory dig at the coach......
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:37 pm

Well Ray may prove to be a very handy pick-up depending on the severity Keith's foot injury.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:39 pm

can we sign mason now , big reds foot will be like this all year , very hard injury to fix

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:42 pm

Hmm is that cashmere?
Bring Back Dr Pepper -- Tiger Blood

TuiTui

Post by TuiTui » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:50 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Hmm is that cashmere?
What do you mean by this?
Quit work, be a Robot.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 4:05 pm

I thought Cashmere did a great job for us. I would assume he will be picked in the team or on the bench in future. A good purchase for us I think :righton:

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 7:35 pm

congrats Ray on your return match for wests-tigers.
enjoy your time.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

GoldXR50Leroy

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 7:43 pm

Well looks like I ended up with egg on the face, no more Cashmere Soap slurs from old Leroy, Ray did exactly what was required of him yesterday and may force a few fellow front rowers to develop their skills for BRET!.
The Cashman pokie machine is my wife's favourite One Armed Bandit, lets hop Ray becomes my favourite front rower since Buckets Hemsley played for Balmain & as mentioned before, he's the Last of the Magpies in The NRL!.

TuiTui

Post by TuiTui » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 8:29 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/t ... 6328057887
TIGERS veteran Ray Cashmere thought his NRL career was over just a few weeks ago.

Probably a fair estimate, given he was working night shifts in a coal mine at the time.

He has become the club's most unlikely saviour.

The Tigers' five match losing streak was snapped when the 32-year-old former Salford front-rower made his debut for the club in yesterday's win over the Panthers.

Cashmere was by no means the catalyst for the win, but his move to the Tigers has certainly bolstered the club's decimated forward pack.

Star five-eighth Benji Marshall singled him out for praise on Sunday.

Having signed a one-year-deal, Cashmere is playing with the enthusiasm of a rookie teenager - and it's rubbing off on teammates.

"I'm loving it, enjoying it while it lasts," Cashmere said at the Tigers' paddle-boarding recovery session at Watson's Bay this morning.

"It'll be good to have a break (this week), but I'd be keen to play again this week, being back in first grade.

"I thought it was done and dusted pretty much at the start of this year. I was looking at a career in coal mining and getting stuck into that. Always in the back of your mind you think it might happen. I thought it probably wasn't realistic, but now it has happened I'm going to try and make it last as long as possible.

"It's been a whirlwind of emotions for my wife and I over the last few weeks. Over the last few months there's been a lot of changes and that, but it's for the better and we're really enjoying where we are at at the moment."

Cashmere signed with St George Illawarra's NSW Cup feeder side at the end of last year and was lucky to join the Tigers two weeks ago after his former team initially refused to release him from his contract.

The Dragons reportedly refused to grant him a release as pay-back for the Tigers breaking a deal for Tigers fullback Tim Moltzen to be traded to the Dragons at the end of 2011.

However, Cashmere said he was not sure what prompted the change of heart that allowed him to link-up with the club he began his career with as a Western Suburbs Magpie in 1999.

He said his 13 seasons of playing rugby league were the key to him hitting the ground running at the Tigers.

"I've been playing Super League for the last three years, obviously I did notice the step up yesterday though, the pace is the biggest thing you notice, but I've played a few games in the past so it wasn't too daunting," he said.

"I got used to it pretty quickly.

"I've been playing rugby league pretty much my whole life. I like to think you improve as you get older. The longer you're around you pick things up. You get older and wiser. I'm not doing anything special. It's a pretty simple role I've got. Hopefully I can stay in there and do it for as long as possible."
Quit work, be a Robot.

DJZ

Post by DJZ » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 9:20 pm

Ray Cashmere admits his NRL career was ‘done and dusted’ at the start of 2012.

The former Western Suburbs Magpies, Wests Tigers, North Queensland and Salford prop was focusing on a new career in the Illawarra coal mines with visions still of returning to the elite level of rugby league.

“You always hope in the back of your mind that it (NRL) might happen. I thought it was not realistic but now it has, I’m going to try and make it last as long as possible,’’ Cashmere said.

A heavy injury toll in the forwards followed by a release from Illawarra Cutters NSW Cup side led Cashmere back to Wests Tigers. Upon entering Concord Oval, he reacquainted himself with former team-mates in Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Liam Fulton and Head Coach Tim Sheens.

A one match stint for Balmain Ryde Eastwood led to Cashmere lining up for his NRL return against Penrith on Sunday. The 115 kilogram forward didn’t disappoint, making plenty of yards and even crossing for a try off Marshall.

Nicknamed ‘Razor’, Marshall knew Cashmere was ready to make an impact after he was ‘trying to hurt everybody at training’.

“Ray just carries the ball forward, no nonsense, nothing fancy. He just runs hard and tackles hard,'' Marshall said.

Farah said hurting team-mates at training was nothing new.

“He doesn’t hold back. When we are doing defensive drills and the coaches say do it at 50 per cent, I don’t think Ray understands what 50 per cent is,’’ Farah quipped.

“That’s the way he prepares and that’s the way he plays. He might be 32 now but it was great having him back. He was like a little kid. He was very enthusiastic and it really showed.”

Cashmere made no apologies for his training methods.

“Throughout my career it has been a bit of a running joke, probably not for the players marking me, that I do sort of hurt players at training,’’ he said.

“I don’t do it intentionally. I’m just a big awkward bugger with big elbows and knees. I train like I play. I go 100 per cent at training and it shows in the way I play.

“I don’t mean to hurt any of my players but if my enthusiasm can rub off on the boys, then that’s all I can ask for.”

Judging by his quality return, Marshall and co had better get used to some more punishment. And so will the opposition.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 9:23 pm

What a great game he had. Brought some huge enthusiasm off the bench. Sometimes blokes in rays position are the ones that perform best. He is just going out there and playing footy for the love of it. Hopefully he can stay fit and be a part of the 17 for the rest of the year.

DJZ

Post by DJZ » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 9:25 pm

Good write up cuzzo!

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:21 pm

Masterstroke signing big Cashy ....... well done Tim and Stephen :)