Switching off...its not that bad

ImageImageImage
king sirro

Switching off...its not that bad

Post by king sirro » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:39 pm

Ok....so one of my main hates on this forum is people who get on and say stuff like "have u ever played the game, what have u ever done to judge, what level did u get to.....etc etc etc.... but on this occasion im going to have to be guilty of that myself.

Now...the subject of switching off. Anyone who has played the game regularly will know that once you have a big lead and switch off there is nothing you can do to turn it back on. Its a hard thing to explain, but we have all been there. Your killing a side, you relax, let in a try and think nothing of it, next thing another try...you start to pump each other up to not let it happen again...but it does happen again...the switch has been turned off. IT DOES NOT GET TURNED BACK ON.

The last 14 minutes was bad.....but its not as bad as you may think. In fact, it may just keep us switched on enough to travel next week to the Gold Coast and win.

Is it possible we may have relaxed next week if we won easy??? Yes. Will we relax after that last 14 minutes??? No.

Just trying to put it into persepctive.,

Next week is the goal of being ruthless, shutting a game out, not giving an inch no matter what. Thats what i want to see next week.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:44 pm

have you been reading other posts - have you seen our history - we dont/cant shut down games. so sad.
Last edited by AmericanHistoryX on Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:44 pm

i agree Sirro with the whole post, including the part about the "have you ever played line"

but you are spot on, it is easy to switch off when you are thrashing a team and cant lose.

and as you say, it may also give us a kick up the arse for next week

barrytiger

Post by barrytiger » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:45 pm

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:48 pm

I thought the tide really changed when Bell came off.

I have not seen Sheens that upset in a presso after a win in a very long time

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:48 pm

Teams that win premierships never switch off. They compete and finish the job.

Melbourne would have scored 2 or 3 tries in that last 15 minutes....not have 30 points scored against them.

Got to be ruthless...no mercy. Grind them into the turf and completely smash them. 5 unanswered tries in the last 15 minutes is a joke. I actually believe if they had one more set they would have won. Can you imagine the hysteria on here if that had happened?

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:54 pm

stryker wrote:Teams that win premierships never switch off. They compete and finish the job.

Melbourne would have scored 2 or 3 tries in that last 15 minutes....not have 30 points scored against them.

Got to be ruthless...no mercy. Grind them into the turf and completely smash them. 5 unanswered tries in the last 15 minutes is a joke. I actually believe if they had one more set they would have won. Can you imagine the hysteria on here if that had happened?
Yes i agree.

And hopefully today will bring out that ruthlessness. Yes, it should already be there, but clearly it isnt. Im hoping today is a step in giving us that mentality. :pray:
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:56 pm

I made the mistake of thinking we might have broken the drought and were going to hold two teams scoreless in two games

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:59 pm

Smeg....i thought the same thing. Kiss of death much???lol
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:18 pm

Lil bit

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:19 pm

It's a very valid point Sirro, and not only does it apply to RL, but other sports as well.

I can speak from experience, being a keen tennis player. I've been 5-2, 5-3, 5-1 up, match seems unlosable, even had match points, suddenly urgency, desire and concentration decline rapidly and it's not until you realise your in real trouble, you try to go back to doing what got you into that strong position in the first place, but even that can be hard.

Same applies for today, 31-0, 13 to go, match in the bag, what's more to do? Suddenly, they found themselves conceding 5 tries in 13 minutes and only winning by a solitary point despite their domination.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:23 pm

smeghead wrote:I made the mistake of thinking we might have broken the drought and were going to hold two teams scoreless in two games
I watched the game on the TV and about 1 minute before Parra's first try I jumped onto the nrl website to log into dream team, saw the final score and was happy that i did, ran out of blood pressure tablets last week and haven't been in to get my prescription filled. I'm not sure I would have coped.

I agree with what some have said, this game has a silver lining, we got two points and Sheen's will make sure they are focused for the Titans, if we had won 31 zip. I suspect we may have been overconfident against the titans.

I don't care how we win as long as we win, the last couple of years we've had shaky starts, got flogged by some but come finals we are the most feared side in the NRL. We need to make the eight, top four would be nice, and anything can happen from there.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:27 pm

That is absolute rubbish Sirro.

That is the worst 30 minutes I have EVER, EVER seen a wests team play. If Sheens doesnt drop someone for that I think he loses all credibility. The only thing that may save someone is that the guilt was so widely shared.

This is the reason we were never comfortable against the Warriors in the semi last year; they just have no clue how to close out a game.

An absolute shame because they played great for 60 minutes against a team that offered nothing.

Andyvee

Post by Andyvee » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:29 pm

smeghead wrote:I made the mistake of thinking we might have broken the drought and were going to hold two teams scoreless in two games
Ha Ha, yep I was thinking the same thing 15 minutes out, and counting in my head how our differential would look, and if we would be around 9th etc.

Then, I got flashbacks of previous games, after the first Parra try. It was like a premonition, and I could see that Panthers games, when Hoppa did the WWF post try celebration, before the Panthers piled on nearly 30 points to win.

The positive is that Sheens will work them hard over the next week, and will treat it as a loss in regards to his prep for next week. Hopefully they have learnt from this game, and appreciate that they have really dodge a bullet!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:32 pm

Its pretty bad and the way we are goin we will be lucky to scrape into the top 8.....for & against will be vital then if theres a few teams on equal points

Its also bad in terms of momentum....we are almost back to where we were before the Penrith game....any positivity & confidence has been totally erased.

Back to square -1...Parra got more out of that imo bar the two comp points, they bombed three trys too..not that bad, pfft

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:36 pm

We put the game on the line with a hail mary offload that never needed to be passed. That's where it started...

All we needed to do was complete a steady five and kick on the sixth. There's nothing wrong with parking the bus and letting in one try, but to completely go to pieces and concede 5 tries in 13 minutes says more about WT than it does about Parra.

I fear what will happen if Matt Bell was to be injured long term. We will get mashed up the guts.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:38 pm

When we have stuck to a gameplan this year we have looked good.

the minute we think we can throw it around willy nilly and take low percentage options we look like garbage

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 7:39 pm

smeghead wrote:When we have stuck to a gameplan this year we have looked good.

the minute we think we can throw it around willy nilly and take low percentage options we look like garbage
Therein lies the point thought Smeg... Where in that game did we need to? 31-0 for Christ's sake...
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...