The Logic behind Lawrence will we see it again

ImageImageImage
happy tiger

The Logic behind Lawrence will we see it again

Post by happy tiger » Sat 05 May, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm still stunned at Lawrence playing at five eight When we came back from half time I was sure sanity would prevail

I was wrong Can anyone give me a good reason why Sheens did that for ?? Seriously ??

My only reasoning (and it was as a joke) that Sheens got lucky during the Brisbane game in Brisbane and thought seeing he was back in Qld he would try it again for old time sake :shock:

If Sheens plays him there in two weeks time against the Warriors he is a madman

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Sat 05 May, 2012 11:02 pm

I don't see why Humble was dropped in the first place. It wasn't his fault that we leaked 30 points in 12 minutes. I think Sheens put Lawrence at 5/8 for s*** and giggles.

Our halves should read 6. Marshall 7. Miller against the Warriors if we want a decent shot at winning this thing.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 05 May, 2012 11:08 pm

Lawrence will be a better 5/8 than Fittler Daley Lockyer and Lewis. Sheens is a genius Lawrence will be wearing the sky blue no 6 jersey for game 2.

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Sat 05 May, 2012 11:15 pm

Sheens is giving himself a pay on the back tonight thinking he pulled a masterstroke, we were pathetic, that win can go down to farah and farah only

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 05 May, 2012 11:42 pm

Sheens is a fool and past it.....everyones starting to see it.

Im guessing he wanted someone to straigten the backline attack - more direct - all it caused was farah running towards the sideline all night.

caryja

Post by caryja » Sat 05 May, 2012 11:49 pm

Have to agree with smoking gun, Robbie Farah what a captains knock. Did it all himself, also made benji look second rate. Deserves an origin spot but selfishly it would be good if he just played tigers games. Thought woods was fantastic and ayshford really stepped up looked really good against idris.

Not impressive but a wins a win and it was great to finally see a live win for us qld tiger fans.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 06 May, 2012 12:04 am

Whatever the reasoning behind that selection, it was proved to be incorrect. Lawrence was, as predicted by people on this forum who are not professionals but nonetheless astute judges, completely ineffectual as 5/8. The whole team suffered as a result. Did we have more than 2 backline movements in the entire game? Crazy stuff.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 06 May, 2012 12:37 am

The only thing Sheens has achieved by this woeful decision to play Lawrence at 5/8 is that we will probably still have Rowdy in the team come Origin time - selfish!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

FoxTan

Post by FoxTan » Sun 06 May, 2012 12:42 am

Humble is not fantastic yet effective as Halfback. Benji is a genuine 5/8 and should not be playing first receiver. Even give Miller a run if they have to, but Lawrence is not a 5/8.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 06 May, 2012 1:18 am

in general I think Lawrence is far more suited to centre than 5/8, but thought he was pretty good tonight, he is starting to find some form.
Also best game that Ayshford has played all year.

My guess is he wanted to play Reddy, Lawrence and Blake, and this was the best way for him to do so.

with Marshall the only play makng half created issues, particuarly on 5th tackle, so cant see todays set up continuing

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay » Sun 06 May, 2012 7:40 am

I hardly noticed lawrence out there tonight except for a few wobbly passes when the tiges were spreading the ball.
I dont get the logic with this experiment. If sheens persists with this combination, where does that leave anasta next year?
Or will anasta play 6 marshall 7 and lawrence will go.back to the centres after wasting this year at 5/8?

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 06 May, 2012 7:51 am

No cohesion in the backline with Lawrence @ 6. Not his fault, after 2 wins Humble should never have been benched. Sheenius strikes again.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Sun 06 May, 2012 8:02 am

Thought Lawrence played well at five eight to be honest especially in only his second game their (he did play five eight against penrith when we won 30 nil remember) . My problem with it is that benji hates playing halfback even if only asked to play the same game as at five eighth -let's be honest humble has been ok but fairly ineffective in both attack and defence but not bad and if thats all we want Mose well have a big strong bloke like Lawrence and bring the sills of ayshford into the game l also I get the feeling humble was injured or I'll and hence the late change especially given he didn't play and we were away so desperate measures as we couldn't bring anyone up from nsw cup

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Sun 06 May, 2012 8:13 am

I thought it was Lawernces strongest game of the season & I also think he was put there to get more touches of the football in space.
Personally I would rather Rowdy in the centers & Humble at 1/2 but Lawence at second reciever is not as bad as what everyone is making out

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Mon 07 May, 2012 6:46 am

I am usually pretty positive about Sheens and everything to do with the Tiges, try to see the bright side of every decision etc

but this was just madness

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 07 May, 2012 7:09 am

smoking gun wrote:Sheens is giving himself a pay on the back tonight thinking he pulled a masterstroke, we were pathetic, that win can go down to farah and farah only
Interesting comment. In the press conference he was doing anything but that. Virtually admitted he probably made some bad decisions and the team got him out of jail....

I don't agree with it at all, but I think the attitude was we will play the two titans rookie halves against two experienced names in Marshall and Lawrence, just to try and play mind games. Of course it didn't work.

The other reason was he was trying to keep the forwards and inside backs very tight to the middle, meaning more space on the outside. That way, Ayshford, the late inclusion in the starting side could run rings around Fatso Idris because he does not move very well at all laterally, and always looks lost without people close to him. That did work better than anyone expected I think.

I just would have stayed with the run on side of the past few weeks myself.
Last edited by Swordy on Mon 07 May, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

cunno

Post by cunno » Mon 07 May, 2012 7:10 am

This selection didn't help Lawrence's game nor Marshall's. Ayshford was the winner out of the move which was a good thing. If Sheens isn't happy with Humble then give Miller another go, move Lawrence back to centre with Ashford and put Reddy on Lote's wing and put Lote on the bench. Lote is big enough to come on in stints in the back row or backs if needed, with glue on his hands.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 07 May, 2012 8:31 am

boonboon wrote:Thought Lawrence played well at five eight to be honest especially in only his second game their (he did play five eight against penrith when we won 30 nil remember)
I agree, I thought it was his best effort at 5/8 so far, enough to make me think he could play the position. His passing was much improved and his "dummy-and-run" in the first half when he almost split the line looked quality.

In saying that, with Marshall at half, Lawrence at 5/8 will only work if Moltzen can occasionally move into first or second receiver, similar to how Hodgo used to play.