TIM SHEENS PROUD OF SECOND HALF

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Sun 20 May, 2012 7:43 pm

By Wayne Cousins

Saturday 19 May 2012 3:13 PM

The ability to fight back on several occasions and a polished second half performance pleased Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens in the 24-22 win over the Warriors.

Trailing 10-0 at half-time and having lost centre turned five-eighth Chris Lawrence to a minor hamstring injury, Wests Tigers dug deep and produced a fine second 40 minutes to record their fourth consecutive win.

Wests Tigers also did it without hooker and captain Robbie Farah due to NSW Origin duty, resulting in half-back Benji Marshall taking over the leadership role.

Sheens said his players did well in defence in the second half.

“They are a big side and if they get near your line, they are going to worry you. In the second half, the longer we kept them away from our line, the better,’’ Sheens said.

“The first half we just didn’t nail it and we chased the points. The second half we had repeat sets, kept the possession count high and kept the mistakes to zip. We were 20 from 20 (completion rates) so we didn’t make any errors which was a big effort.

“We grounded it out tonight when we had to. I’m disappointed about that last try. I think for and against I would have liked to have finished eight in front. Benji kicked great and nobody is telling me now to take him off goal kicking anymore either.

“A win is a win. At this stage of the season, you take every win no matter how matter you get them. You have just to grind it out particularly in the rep season. I know we only have one player out in Robbie but he is a pretty key player.”

Sheens praised Marshall for his ability to control the tempo of the game in the second half.

“I was going to play him at five-eighth in the second half (after losing Lawrence) but he didn’t want to. He wanted to stay at 7 and I’m glad we stuck to that,’’ Sheens offered.

“(Blake) Ayshford went to five-eighth and although he is more of a running player, he has played a lot of five-eighth as a kid.

“Benji controlled the game basically between the 9 and the outside backs. He controlled the field position of the game and everybody hooked in and tackled their backsides off. He got a lot more touches and that was important.”

Sheens is hoping Lawrence will be fit for next Sunday's home game against Nth Qld Cowboys at Campbelltown Sports Stadium. Second-rower Chris Heighington is expected to make his return from a broken hand.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 20 May, 2012 7:54 pm

willow wrote:
“I was going to play him at five-eighth in the second half (after losing Lawrence) but he didn’t want to. He wanted to stay at 7 and I’m glad we stuck to that,’’ Sheens offered.
:bash
you are coach not him. wrong people have too much control in this club
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Sun 20 May, 2012 8:19 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
willow wrote:
you seem to have some inside knowledge, or not

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 20 May, 2012 8:20 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
willow wrote:
Lol imagane Bennett saying that

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 20 May, 2012 9:24 pm

Easily our best second half since the Manly and Saints games of 2011

It wouldn't have been a good idea getting Benji offside seeing he was basically our last chance of getting the win

I'm sure Sheens would of questioned him first , before making the decision himself

Remember in this instance they are Captain and Coach

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 21 May, 2012 6:45 am

willow wrote:TIM SHEENS PROUD OF SECOND HALF
By Wayne Cousins

“(Blake) Ayshford went to five-eighth and although he is more of a running player, he has played a lot of five-eighth as a kid.

Sheens is hoping Lawrence will be fit for next Sunday's home game against Nth Qld Cowboys at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.
Right, so why play Lawrence at 5/8????

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 21 May, 2012 6:53 am

I only caughttp the layer half odds the game as as such have no reference points...

First half must have been terrible and that last try being allowed was criminal.

I welcome some feedback on the comments

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Mon 21 May, 2012 2:20 pm

Spartan117 wrote:I only caughttp the layer half odds the game as as such have no reference points...

First half must have been terrible and that last try being allowed was criminal.

I welcome some feedback on the comments
Didn't think the first half was that bad, tbh. We were getting belted from pillar to post by a very large and enthusiastic Warriors team, but we stood our ground and held them to only 10 points. We had some chances in attack also, but blew them with dropped balls and wayward passes. That said, the second half was heaps better. It was the most alive in attack I've seen us since the Penrith game. We completed all our sets, hence we were able to mount constant pressure on a tiring Warriors team.

I really believe it could've been 24 blot to us in the second half. Both Warriors tries were flukey - the first one against the run of play off a kick from Moltzen - the ball could've ended up bouncing anywhere and the second one... well, it was the 80th minute and had no bearing on the result, but I am a bit disappointed with our lack of urgency sometimes. This kind of thing happens to WT too many times.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen