Has Benji lost pace

ImageImageImage
Knuckles

Re: Has Benji lost pace

Post by Knuckles » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:07 pm

I thought he was even more lucky his legs were not injured as a result.

Bismark

Post by Bismark » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:15 pm

I have no idea what it is, but there is some kind a phenomenon with chases. A player rushing down the sideline vs a player coming across the field to tackle, and alot of the time the tackle is made.

Think Sattler vs Byrne. Sam Gillet almost caught Justin O'Neil on Friday night, and O'Neil is said to be the fastest player at the Storm (Faster than SLATER). Tamou today, all with that same scenario. It's very strange.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:18 pm

Bismark wrote:I have no idea what it is, but there is some kind a phenomenon with chases. A player rushing down the sideline vs a player coming across the field to tackle, and alot of the time the tackle is made.

Think Sattler vs Byrne. Sam Gillet almost caught Justin O'Neil on Friday night, and O'Neil is said to be the fastest player at the Storm (Faster than SLATER). Tamou today, all with that same scenario. It's very strange.
ball carrier has to run around the defender while the defender has to run in a straight line. at full pace, it's hard to step back inside.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Mistadobalina

Post by Mistadobalina » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:21 pm

Carrying the ball probably takes about 5% off your speed, but there was a time when it was game over once he got a line break on. And would've caught up to Konrad Hurrell while we're at it. I don't think you can put it down to age, most sprinters peak at around age 27-30. Maybe it's the beard slowing him down

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:30 pm

The beard makes him less aerodynamic but makes him that little bit tougher :)

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:34 pm

To me it looked like he twinged his hammy or calf, because he pulled up and slowed right down.

Bismark

Post by Bismark » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:35 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Bismark wrote:I have no idea what it is, but there is some kind a phenomenon with chases. A player rushing down the sideline vs a player coming across the field to tackle, and alot of the time the tackle is made.

ball carrier has to run around the defender while the defender has to run in a straight line. at full pace, it's hard to step back inside.
Take note that the 3 chasing players are forwards, and the 3 players with the ball are backs. One would assume the back would streak away and have no need to step back in.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:41 pm

What Tamou did was amazing! Ashley Graham was making no impression chasing after Benji, yet Tamou catches him??? That's nuts!

On another note, there seemed to be a bit of friction between Benji and Tamou today. What's the bet it had something to do with Tamou turning his back on New Zealand and getting selected for Oz instead. Benji is a very patriotic Kiwi.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:55 pm

Tbone wrote:
tigerlogic wrote:
innsaneink wrote:He's lucky hes not a boxer...that 'jab' or whatever it was on Tamou was embarrassing
He's not lucky, if he was a boxer he would be in the ring not nrl!
Not saying this is the case here but do many ppl think because someone plays footy or is strong that they must be able to fight.. If u havnt trained to fight why would anyone know how to throw one

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Ha ha. In brnjis defense he did the rIght thing by the team and pulled the punch short to prevent giving away the penalty. Jennings could learn something from benji.
Totally agree

Mistadobalina

Post by Mistadobalina » Sun 27 May, 2012 10:59 pm

Flippedy wrote:What Tamou did was amazing! Ashley Graham was making no impression chasing after Benji, yet Tamou catches him??? That's nuts!

On another note, there seemed to be a bit of friction between Benji and Tamou today. What's the bet it had something to do with Tamou turning his back on New Zealand and getting selected for Oz instead. Benji is a very patriotic Kiwi.
I'm betting it had more to do with being taken out mid-air and landing square on his arse.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sun 27 May, 2012 11:13 pm

Don't forget Benji ran it from our in goal and had already put in a step,swerve and full speed burst barring injury I still think he would have got away had he backed himself. Definitely slower then 05 though.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Sun 27 May, 2012 11:37 pm

He may have lost a few meters but he has picked up his goal kicking...I'm happy with that.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 27 May, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm about to watch the game but the commentators on Grandstand (both Morrow and Ryan ) thought Benji pulled up slightly like he had some tightness or a tear in his hammy

Find out for myself right now

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Mon 28 May, 2012 12:22 am

Tbone wrote:The beard makes him less aerodynamic but makes him that little bit tougher :)
Same thing happened last year.

Beard = 9 wins in a row
But it also seems Beard = Old Man Benji
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 28 May, 2012 6:49 am

WestsSupporter wrote:
Tbone wrote:The beard makes him less aerodynamic but makes him that little bit tougher :)
Same thing happened last year.

Beard = 9 wins in a row
But it also seems Beard = Old Man Benji
The only logical explanation, beard creates too much wind resistance :)

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Mon 28 May, 2012 9:45 am

I think Marshall's game at half is taking its toll to be honest. Plus he also seems to be doing ALOT more work in defence lately. If he'd have that chance in the first 5mins, he would have smoked him no doubt. I still think he would have got outside him if he just pinned back the ears and went for it... shame the only player supporting him was one of our forwards :roll:
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

barra

Post by barra » Mon 28 May, 2012 9:55 am

Benji rarely goes on with a line break these days, he is a lot slower since about 2010.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:19 am

This time last year he would have scored under the posts. No doubt.

Really surprised that so much pace is gone to be honest...