Curtis and Freddy at 18..........

ImageImageImage
Bismark

Re: Curtis and Freddy at 18..........

Post by Bismark » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:46 pm

Tell you what, the NRL is producing some incredibly good young halves of late. Cherry-Evans and Foran, Josh and Adam Reynolds, Aiden Sezar, Curtis Sironen. It's very promising.

Just keep in mind guys, he's played 100 minutes of first grade. At no point in those minutes were the team really behind/playing poorly. I'd like to see him play in a game where we're really struggling, I think that really separates the general players and the outstanding.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:53 pm

Goose wrote:Freddy was amazing as an 18 yo.

I remember as a kid when he was playing for cambridge park in the 15's going to watch him play cause everyone knew who he was and how good he was.

Sirro has a long way to be compared to freddy, but geez he has started well, super impressed tonight...
15s for cambridge park,,people seem to think he is born and bred Penrith ,but youmg Freddy played all his juniors in the Liverpool area and at 14 a much younger mr Marsden had two players to sign up , one was freddy and the other was Jason Taylor, and the rest is history.Imagine if Wests would still be here today if Marsden pick Freddy instead of Taylor .

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:07 am

biggest tigers fan wrote:i thought freddy played in the centres as 18??
I thought so as well. I really thought Curtis would start in the centres in the NRL. Fitler was a gun from a very early age. Curtis for mine is going to be a very good player but I would not have him in the same class as Fitler was at 18. Fitler is still one of the very best players I have seeb in my long time of watching league.

I think Curtis is our best #6 option for the rest of this year and is the most exciting player to have debut for a long time for the Tigers. Personally I think that Curtis may be the best young Tiger to have debut at such a young age since Tim Brasher did all those years ago for Balmain. Lets hope Curtis turns out to be as good.

twenty20

Post by twenty20 » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:21 am

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:

I remember as a kid when he was playing for cambridge park in the 15's going to watch him play cause everyone knew who he was and how good he was.

Sirro has a long way to be compared to freddy, but geez he has started well, super impressed tonight...
15s for cambridge park,,people seem to think he is born and bred Penrith ,but youmg Freddy played all his juniors in the Liverpool area and at 14 a much younger mr Marsden had two players to sign up , one was freddy and the other was Jason Taylor, and the rest is history.Imagine if Wests would still be here today if Marsden pick Freddy instead of Taylor .
Sheesh Dude, It's not like he picked a dud!

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:31 am

slacko wrote:I must have been watching a different game? He didn't seem to play a 5/8 role well tonight.
He played well, defense was solid and of course his try for an 18 year old showed amazing strength. He carried to ball well.
Please don't get carried away.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
I agree, from tonight I thought he seemed more like a backrower than a 5/8.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:37 am

twenty20 wrote:
1/4 chicken,chips wrote:

Sheesh Dude, It's not like he picked a dud!
Please don't even try and put Fittler and Taylor in the same sentence No comparison

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 5:07 am

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:

Freddy was originally from the Ashcroft area. I played in the same school team and he was day light ahead of any other player. We went and played in a school knock out and he was toying with everyone. He scored all the points bar one try. To this day, I remember standing at inside center while he was 5/8 and him telling me to try and keep up with him.

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 6:16 am

cnx_tigers wrote:
Golden wrote:time to release Anasta from that contract now!

Actually, he could be the perfect bloke to advise Siro on playing as a big, running, ball playing 5/8.

The past twenty years has really been Fittler............Anasta.............Siro (maybe) who are the classical tall / 100 kilo / running pivot.

Obviously Locky, Carney, Thurston etc are top class, I am talking about the 6 foot 2, 100 kilo type pivot. They rarely come along.
Throw Trent Barrett in there too

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:15 am

he has played 100 minutes.
lets wait and see how he is going after 100 games.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 10:01 am

I actually think a more accurate comparison can be made to Laurie Daley. Laurie was a hard running centre with some ball skills who developed into a true ball player. Interestingly, at the the same age Fittler was a much better player Daley but Daley's development through his late teens and early twneties was far superior to that of Fittler. (It is just ironic that Daley hasn't developed as a commentator and Freddy is actaully interesting :-)).

To my mind Fittler stagnated somewhat until he moved to the Roosters. I felt his involvement was not what it should have been. Don't get me wrong he was a still a great player but it wasn't until he moved in his early 20's that he developed into a champion 5/8.

I think Curtis is a strong, hard running back who can play 5/8. With Beni being so dominant it will allow him to run the ball and when it is required he can ball play. This will assisit his development.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:23 am

slacko wrote:I must have been watching a different game? He didn't seem to play a 5/8 role well tonight.
He played well, defense was solid and of course his try for an 18 year old showed amazing strength. He carried to ball well.

God! it is hard to please some people.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:55 am

biggest tigers fan wrote:i thought freddy played in the centres as 18??

Yes, sort of. That team had Chris Mortimer and Brad Izzard playing the 6. I am sure Mortimer was the guy there when Fittler made his debut (Note to self: geez I am getting old).

Mortimer played defense in that position, but all the attacking stuff was Fittler roaming in when he wanted to.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:58 am

My memory is that Fittler started out as a hard running centre, with a wicked step. It was only two years later that he made the transition to a ball-player.

Could be wrong on all this as it was a long time ago.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:00 pm

The way I look at it now, this is what Curtis has ahead:

BEST CASE SCENARIO = A Fittler or Daley type career. (All time greats...this is rare, so we can't expect it)

VERY GOOD SCENARIO = An Anasta or Barret type career. (Aus, NSW, tonnes of finals)

AVERAGE SCENARIO = A John Sutton type career. (Still, a very solid first grader who can win games from time to time).

Even the worst scenario = we have a very solid 5/8 for the forseeable future.

Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Post by Stripes96 » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:09 pm

1-Teddy
6-Siro
7-Benji
9-Farah
13-Anasta

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm licking my lips at that spine. Three blokes who can win games (Robbie, Benji and Braith), and two young blokes who look the goods (Sirro and Teddy)

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:25 pm

Stripes96 wrote:1-Teddy
6-Siro
7-Benji
9-Farah
13-Anasta

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm licking my lips at that spine. Three blokes who can win games (Robbie, Benji and Braith), and two young blokes who look the goods (Sirro and Teddy)

+1!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

slacko

Post by slacko » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:49 pm

magpiecol wrote:

God! it is hard to please some people.
I'm sorry, would you prefer I get carried away after one first grade game?
He played with 6 on his back but didn't play with the ball. He ran strong and hard, which in my mind seems more a centre or back rower, forgive me for not talking him up as the next Freddy After one game.

eternal optimist.

Staks

Post by Staks » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 4:03 pm

Haven't been as thrilled about a debut since Benji Quentin Marshall.

Sirro Jnr looks like the total package. His bulk, maturity and enthusiasm will add another benificial element to the team. Will only get better with experience...

The Sheenius might have just unveiled his new halves pairing and the nucleus to the spine that will take the Wests Tigers forward in the coming years...

Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908