Woods Awesome but too many penalties

ImageImageImage
Goose

Woods Awesome but too many penalties

Post by Goose » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:54 am

Aaron woods is going amazing at the moment, it goes without saying he has been one of our best week in, week out, so it seems a little unfair to bring up, but he is giving away too many penalties, and a number of which are easily avoidable.
He does need to get that out of his game, he could put us under pressure if he gives away a couple penalties in a big game.
As i said it seems unfair to bring up, given how well he is playing, but still a concern moving forward

alex

Post by alex » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:17 am

He's a prop who's out there for 70 mins making 30-40 tackles. Chances are 1 or 2 of them are bound to be penalised one way or another. Gibbs was the same for his first few years then he worked it out of his game. Give him time. I still wouldn't trade him for any other prop in the game.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:42 am

Fair points both of you...

It is in his game, but he is young and improving at a tremendous rate. He'll sort it out sooner rather than later.

alex

Post by alex » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:50 am

Every young gun has areas in their game they need to work on. Hell, even Benji still has some areas of improvement. A few years ago he used to throw speculator passes into the 10th row, he's fixed that now but still occasionally goes for a flashy play rather than the percentage play (ie BMM sideline run against the Titans)

Woods has some great other assets that make him a unique prop. His footwork and leg drive at the line really sets him apart and is something that's hard to teach. Penalties can be worked out

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:53 am

In the last month or two he has been very disciplined but tonight he slipped back into his old ways.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 2:53 am

One of the penalties he gave away today was for offside when he had not participated in the play at all. It was during the time just before half time when the refs were looking to 'square up' the penalty count a bit.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 7:18 am

We led the penalty count 6-1 at one stage. I wouldn't be concerned as the rest looked like square ups, where Aaron was unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.. I don't think the penalties finishing up at 6 a piece was a coincidence by any means.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 7:22 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:One of the penalties he gave away today was for offside when he had not participated in the play at all. It was during the time just before half time when the refs were looking to 'square up' the penalty count a bit.
I couldnt believe the refs pinging him on that occasion ,but he may give a couple of penalties away ,but his slowing down of the play the ball is a plus for our defence line.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:45 am

I feel he's being targetted a bit, getting a rep as an offender much like Gibbs and Ryles etc...getting a raw deal at times.

Its like - Ref:- "Oh its you...it must be a penalty"

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:27 am

Goose wrote:Aaron woods is going amazing at the moment, it goes without saying he has been one of our best week in, week out, so it seems a little unfair to bring up, but he is giving away too many penalties, and a number of which are easily avoidable.
He does need to get that out of his game, he could put us under pressure if he gives away a couple penalties in a big game.
As i said it seems unfair to bring up, given how well he is playing, but still a concern moving forward

Boy, you must have hated Roach and Gibbs!

kill'em'all tigers

Post by kill'em'all tigers » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:38 am

i think there may be a problem more than copping a few unfotunate square ups.

At one stage the ref called him petulant for his attitude to getting back onside.
To me that indicates bigger issues.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:03 pm

he's actually been pretty good so far this season and last night at least one of those three was ridiculous.

Rnds 1,2,5,6,7,11 - zero penalties
Rnds 8,9,12 - one penalty
Rnds 3,4 - two penalties
Rnd 13 - three penalties

10 penalties in 13 games!
Madgic!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeh one last night - strip I think- he was clearly NOT GUILTY!!!

underdog

Post by underdog » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 12:35 pm

kill'em'all tigers wrote:i think there may be a problem more than copping a few unfotunate square ups.

At one stage the ref called him petulant for his attitude to getting back onside.
To me that indicates bigger issues.
I heard that as well, but Aaron just shrugged it off. Maybe he interpreted Woods' repeated infringements as indifference.

Having said thatm in one of the last scrums of the game, when there was a knock on against Iosepa, and a potential first knock on against the raiders - Woods queries the first knock on, and Haines asks to him regarding the decsion "Well, what do you think?" (Referring to a spilt ball by a raiders player) You couldn't make out Aarons response, however the ref said to him "That's very diplomatic of you" and Aaron gave him a smile and said "Fair call."

With banter like during the scrum I hardly think he has an attitude problem, unless it's Badger who doesn't like him, (and frankly I don't think Badger dislkes anybody)

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:20 pm

He doesn't seem disrespectful at all when he is on the field. He does though give away a couple too many penalties.

Is he just playing a little bit too much on the edge at times ?

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 5:02 pm

i wasnt suggesting he was no good because of it in my OP, just an area of development for the future, clearly an amazing talent, going really well, just something to work on.

it has felt like more penalties than it actually is as well, after looking at those stats, anyway hope he can cut them down a little moving forward

barra

Post by barra » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 5:19 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:
Paris Cobbs wrote:One of the penalties he gave away today was for offside when he had not participated in the play at all. It was during the time just before half time when the refs were looking to 'square up' the penalty count a bit.
I couldnt believe the refs pinging him on that occasion ,but he may give a couple of penalties away ,but his slowing down of the play the ball is a plus for our defence line.
Not sure if this is the penalty referred to, but he did give away one for not getting back onside that he simply had to give. About 30 off our line centre field he ref called him offside and out of the play, and he made the tackle anyway. Had he stepped aside it was a likely straight passage to our tryline.

He really had no choice to make on that occasion and made the correct play!

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks Ricky :twisted: