Some Thoughts

ImageImageImage
southerntiger

Some Thoughts

Post by southerntiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 11:51 am

Thought 1 - the evolution of Benji Marshall as a footballer is phenomenal. His game is almost unrecognisable from what it was 3 to 5 years. I dont believe I have seen a player so radically change the way they play the game.

Thought 2 - Sironen looks the goods but he hasnt shown that the number 6 is his position yet. Looking forward to see him get more involved over the next few weeks. I want to see the passing game that he was known for in NYC.

Thought 3 - this should be Heighnington's last year with the club. He has been a loyal servant but I cant see a spot for him next year.

Thought 4 - Utai has to be one of the best buys in the club's history.

Thought 5 - BMM is going to be very good and was one of our best in the first 40 last night.

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 1:29 pm

Lots of good stuff out of that game.

Benji - he is an unbelievable talent. Lots of peeps were crying stating he should be out wide and never organising or kicking it. I think that line of reasoning has proven to be completely wrong.

BMM - I reckon this guy is already a weapon and he will get better. Where will he fit in though. Is he a prop or a backrower.

Utai is something special - he consistently gets us going forward. I think you cannot move him from the starting side and he deserves a pay upgrade.

tigerkaz

Post by tigerkaz » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm with you guys, everyone looked good last night. I think if we can build on that win next week we are in a great position for the rest of the year and beyond. sironen looks good, where was he actually playing? i seen him out in the centers a lot in the 2nd half( i might not understand somethings sometimes as i'm just a girl.) Benji seems to be magic in that 7 jersey and he will only get better the more he plays there. Utai is on fire and should be in the starting side all the time. BMM is awesome i love it when he comes on and in rips in. Robbie is trying all sorts of things some times it comes off, sometimes it doesn't but it's worth a try. Beau is playing like a man possessed and every week Moltz is getting better. Chris lawrence is starting to come good. Only good things to come from now. Well that's what i reckon anyway. Go the Wests Tigers

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 2:53 pm

Utai has to be re-signed. Its as simple as that

tigerkaz

Post by tigerkaz » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 3:02 pm

See GNR we do agree on some things,Utai should be signed right now.How was your sleep???
forum/posting.php#

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 3:04 pm

Good points Southern, I agree with all 5.

I must admit I wasn't convinced that benji could handle first receiver as he has been trying there for a couple of years now and has rarely controlled a game like a great half does. He couldn't close the game out against South and couldn't turn the tide against Parra. Last night showed that he can. He was simply awesome.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 3:07 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Utai has to be re-signed. Its as simple as that
Agree, Does he know his only 5 foot?

Can't resign everyone, let me think keep Utai get rid of Moltzen?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 3:49 pm

tigerkaz wrote:See GNR we do agree on some things,Utai should be signed right now.How was your sleep???
forum/posting.php#
Crap, got the flu. But thanks for asking :)

tigerkaz

Post by tigerkaz » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 5:02 pm

GNR
That's no good, get well soon. That's why we are agreeing, your sick.
forum/posting.php?time=1338706895#

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 7:41 pm

I agree except for the point on Heighington. I have often been sceptical about Heighington`s value to the side and I do agree we could easily get by without him, BUT he has played many seasons in forward packs that have lacked size and go forward, with the added size and go forward we now have, I think we might see some of Heighno`s best football later this season.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:00 pm

Vicious wrote:I agree except for the point on Heighington. I have often been sceptical about Heighington`s value to the side and I do agree we could easily get by without him, BUT he has played many seasons in forward packs that have lacked size and go forward, with the added size and go forward we now have, I think we might see some of Heighno`s best football later this season.
I hope so ..last night was a real disapointment against a park footy side has to pull his socks up or make way for another ! because there are a few that deserve the spot .Has absolutely no impact and the dynamics of the team is suffering .

keods

Post by keods » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:05 pm

Heighno should honestly go, never seen a forward/lock get held up by the one of the smallest men in the game (bowen) Sirro ran through three guys and he is a 5/8 he needs to go

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:43 pm

keods wrote:Heighno should honestly go, never seen a forward/lock get held up by the one of the smallest men in the game (bowen) Sirro ran through three guys and he is a 5/8 he needs to go
Doesn't mean a great deal . How many blokes did you see Brett Hodgson hold up over the years .

Its all about technique

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:46 pm

Great post Southern The thing that impresses me most about Benji is his defence

Who would of thought 4-5 years ago that we would ever see Benji rushing up in defence and smashing blokes

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:04 pm

happy tiger wrote: The thing that impresses me most about Benji is his defence

Who would of thought 4-5 years ago that we would ever see Benji rushing up in defence and smashing blokes
This is a big change isn't it. He goes and gets a good hit on every so often. Its not like he is just working on his attack.

dermo

Post by dermo » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:48 pm

I agree with most of them but lets not get to carried away with Utai just yet. Though he has started well he is yet to be really tested in defence, for our sake I hope he has improved since last year but remember there is a reason he spent the past few years playing NSW cup and I think its only a matter of time before a team realises we have probably the slowest turning wingers in the comp

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 10:51 pm

Vicious wrote:I agree except for the point on Heighington. I have often been sceptical about Heighington`s value to the side and I do agree we could easily get by without him, BUT he has played many seasons in forward packs that have lacked size and go forward, with the added size and go forward we now have, I think we might see some of Heighno`s best football later this season.
Can't agree, Rhino is really poor.

I'll admit his second stint on Sat night was better than his first. IIRC he was replaced by BMM after about 20min. His first stint was dreadful, his hit ups just have zero impact. He was much better in the second half but still easily handled and offers very little in both attack and defense.

Once Ellis is back I honestly struggle to find a place for him in this side.

hellman

Post by hellman » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 7:44 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:Once Ellis is back I honestly struggle to find a place for him in this side.
I don't want to criticise the guy too much but the starting backrow has to be something like:-

13. Blair
12. Fulton
11. Ellis

or

13. Blair
12. BMM
11. Ellis

On form Heighno doesn't deserve a starting spot.

If you assume Fulton starts then Heighno has to fight for a bench spot. There are a fair few players to fit into the bench and its not going to be easy for him to snag a spot there. I think Sheens will still pick him though.