The wrestle & a rookie rake

ImageImageImage
hellman

Re: The wrestle & a rookie rake

Post by hellman » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 10:37 pm

Black Orange White wrote:Iosefa was horrible. If we release him now I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Politini is much better than him.
He looked good in patches however at the same time he did look real bad at other times.He took a lot of poor options and we could have lost that game based on some of his decisions.

I would get rid of him as well.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 11:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:We will need to win the ruck tomorrow night before anything else imo.
Melbournes line speed and wrestle, along with humble at dummy half could be a concern.

Who are the refs?

Their starting pack is still impressive, however their bench looks weak & green....the period before and after halftime could see the game won or lost....will be interesting to see if Sheens is consistent with the bench/front row
actually i'd say storm won the ruck, mostly coz of the wrestle. their defense didnt struggle one bit in the middle, we clearly won them on the fringes though. also, i wouldnt say the game was won won after halftime. what we really lacked was speed out side and maybe im judging him from the narrow 20m break, but sirro isnt as fast as i thought.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 6:00 am

Yeah I think the Storm won the wrestle, fortunately they didn't have the finesse in attack to do much else. Hate Melbourne and their general slowing down of the play the ball, but the conditions really didn't suit, although it didn't worry us against the Raiders.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 10:09 am

tig_prmz wrote:
innsaneink wrote:We will need to win the ruck tomorrow night before anything else imo.
Melbournes line speed and wrestle, along with humble at dummy half could be a concern.

Who are the refs?

Their starting pack is still impressive, however their bench looks weak & green....the period before and after halftime could see the game won or lost....will be interesting to see if Sheens is consistent with the bench/front row
actually i'd say storm won the ruck, mostly coz of the wrestle. their defense didnt struggle one bit in the middle, we clearly won them on the fringes though. also, i wouldnt say the game was won won after halftime. what we really lacked was speed out side and maybe im judging him from the narrow 20m break, but sirro isnt as fast as i thought.
I wrote that on Thurs.
We sacrificed our line speed and held our line, adapted to the conditions and backed our defense. Had no idea it would be as wet and heavy as it was....good effort considering.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 11:14 am

i just feel like it was a very wierd game. we looked on top right from the outset but it was due to some individual brilliance (40/20) or their lack of communication in defense on the fringes.

however, they were on top in the middle. we didn't make any breaks through the middle, no quick PTB whereas manu and widdop were cutting right through us.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 12:46 pm

Yeh, we definitely ground out that win....good to win while not playing to our best

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 12:49 pm

haha 14 rounds gone, still not playing to our "best", im really lost as to what our best is :lol:
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 2:22 pm

No one knows what the best is, players, coach, us...always room for improvement....we dipped last night, definitely down on the previous weeks display

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 2:30 pm

also, no one has mentioned bromwich, his footwork and strength was killing us as well. melbourne are the king of the ruck, but we really struggled there yesterday and tbh i've never seen us being good at that this year. last year though, we were very good at it, our PTB speed was killing the opposition. we got so many penalties because of that as well. we don't have speed in our outside backs this year either. we lack the patience to finish off tries. there is a lot of improvement needed. it feels like a sea-saw, where our forwards were criticised for being "soft" and halves for their kicking, now that that's going good, we are lacking the skill to finish off tries.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 2:36 pm

Liddy wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Iosefa made some ordinary decisions late. Putting in an average kick on the 4th, then for god knows what reason kicking it 20 m sideways into touch on full time when it was only the third tackle
I'd rather him kick it out on fulltime than lose it and give the opposition a chance to score.

He could have run it backwards over the dead ball line if he wanted to....wouldn't have bothered me.
Did you see how far in-field he was? at least 20 m, and he puts a kick in along the ground. Anything could have happend, a rickashay or god knows what else. It would be safer in that situation to wrap the ball up because Melbourne would have just conceded. You don't kick a ball 20 m sideways along the ground, how is that the safer option???

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 3:05 pm

innsaneink wrote:No one knows what the best is, players, coach, us...always room for improvement....we dipped last night, definitely down on the previous weeks display
True

Always a bonus to be down on performance and take the points.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 6:06 pm

smeghead wrote:
innsaneink wrote:No one knows what the best is, players, coach, us...always room for improvement....we dipped last night, definitely down on the previous weeks display
True

Always a bonus to be down on performance and take the points.
We may have been down somewhat on the previous week, but we can really only play as well as the opposition lets us - Canberra were non-existent in defence, Melb were very tough.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen