Heads not in the game today

ImageImageImage
Flippedy

Re: Heads not in the game today

Post by Flippedy » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:11 pm

A lot of factors came together today that contributed to our loss - the Roosters determination to turn their season around after weeks of poor form and much criticism; the loss of key players - Sironen and Fulton and Farah at the last minute; obviously the death of Robbie's mum, especially on the day of the game - it would have still been raw in their heads and hearts. I would've added the whole blow up between the Roosters and the refs during the week also, especially after the start, but the Roosters ended up being penalised a lot as well, so I don't think it had any bearing in the end - they refereed both sides equally.

Apart from the 10 or so minutes when we were coming home strong, the Roosters goal line defence was very good too. We peppered it quite a bit at stages in both halves, but couldn't get across when normally we would. The Roosters deserved their win today. I'm just glad we narrowed the gap somewhat, although that last try stung!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:16 pm

Always thought this was a danger game,but when I got the tip Farah was not playing at mid day I put a few bob on the Chooks. Thought they were specials. As for the games ahead, they showed what a team they are going to be if they ever get their top 17 on the field. They will be up their when the whips are cracking

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:20 pm

pretty sure today could be the reason we win the comp...

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:23 pm

Definately a very emotional day for the boys.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:28 pm

they had some very smart plans of attacking the line in groups with forwards barging over and running nice lines. very impressed with the roosters today.

i don't think we were so much out of it. as INk pointed out in a thread that the referees 50/50 for the roosters will cost us and it did.. BIG TIME. they set the tone right from the start and the tigers got blown away. absence of robbie had a lot to do with it more than players not concentrating.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:32 pm

mtd wrote:pretty sure today could be the reason we win the comp...
+1
The team will really bond behind Robbie for the rest of this season.
The emotion today was very draining and very special.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:32 pm

stryker wrote:Yeah he was...

At the end of the day you dont see games where props score tries unless the other side isnt fully having a go. Thats what I saw today with the Roosters fowards scoring all of their tries. Will be interesting to hear what Sheens thinks in the presser. For mine this is a throw away game that is no indication of our true form.
Yep.....today was extaordinary in a negative way....take nothing from it bar the positives, the comeback etc etc....but the best thing we all - team & fans - can do is tomorrow, forget today and look forward.

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:35 pm

Fraze23 wrote:I'm proud of the boys today regardless. Going into the game minus Sironen, Fulton and then Farah ontop of that was disuptive enough, then with the tragic passing of the captains mother. I normally take a loss pretty hard, but today its more of a heavy feeling, like a sadness. I'm sure this will strengthen the group further and will be but a speed bump on our way to the finals. My thoughts and prayers go out to Robbie and his family. RIP Sonia.
Great Post .....the team would have been running out thinking to get the win for Robbie , but it just wasn't their day. It doesn't help that the Roosters played their best they have all year , which they have been building too.

Bring on Newcastle next Monday ( hopefully a solid win) then the bye & then the biggest test for the team this year , Bulldogs at SFS on a Friday night . ....

swisstiger

Post by swisstiger » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:36 pm

stryker wrote:Yeah he was...

At the end of the day you dont see games where props score tries unless the other side isnt fully having a go. Thats what I saw today with the Roosters fowards scoring all of their tries. Will be interesting to hear what Sheens thinks in the presser. For mine this is a throw away game that is no indication of our true form.
Problem is this is where most of the tries where being scored at the start of the year when we were going ordinary and why our team was tagged soft in the media.

In saying that, I agree that today was just a minor hiccup. Let's forget about it, move on to Newcastle next week and inflict some more pain on Bennett and his men because if we lose to them next week then we definitely have no business mixing it with the top teams come September!!!

milford_magic

Post by milford_magic » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:38 pm

There are many reasons but keep in mind Roosters are just have a side who have our measure. Smith knows how to play Sheens and they killed us around the ruck today, in the same way they did last year at the SFS and how they ran over us at the end of the semi in 2010.

They also got a lot of big penalties early to get to 12-4, and then after the 5 minutes before half time we were done.

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:55 pm

I thought the whole start to the game was unfair on us, and it should have been handled differently.

Why didnt they do the one min silence 5-10 min before kick off and give the boys a chance to huddle down and hug it out for robbie. How can they expect players to just switch off one second later.

Tigers for 2022!

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:57 pm

DonnyBrasco wrote:I thought the whole start to the game was unfair on us, and it should have been handled differently.

Why didnt they do the one min silence 5-10 min before kick off and give the boys a chance to huddle down and hug it out for robbie. How can they expect players to just switch off one second later.

Yeah thought about that too after the game, might have been better had the minute silence been done 10-15 minutes prior to kick off.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:09 pm

The Chooks won today because they had all the ball in the first 30minutes and with their big men steamrolled us out of the game. It is very hard to defend against a team like the chooks when you have 50% of the ball but when its near 30% you have no chance. They are a very good team and you have to scratch your head why they are not up near the top. Plenty of ball,quick play the balls and big mobile forwards is near impossible to defend.

Ellis,Fulton,Siro and Farah and things will get better

Black Orange White

Post by Black Orange White » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:14 pm

Either we win the rest of the way or we crumple in a heap due to this. It's up to the boys.

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:16 pm

The mindset of the boys today reminds me of the mindset of rocky in rocky 3, when his manager died, his head was elsewhere as we're our boys today all thinking about Robbie! Wel be sweet! Love ya faz!

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:19 pm

Yep, definitely can't have a go at the guys for the loss today. Clearly they were affected deeply by today's events and found it hard to switch on entirely. We seemed to look good for 10 mins then drift out for 10 mins. Reading some of Sheens's comments only highlight the massive effort by the boys to come back the way they did.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:27 pm

Just one of those days. We're still well in the 8, got a decent draw ahead including a bye and some big names to come back in. At least they dug in at 10-36 and almost pulled off a massive comeback.

Anyway we're back on next week and no doubt the boys will be in a much better headspace.