Timmy

ImageImageImage
magpiecol

Re: Timmy

Post by magpiecol » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:47 am

[quote="Glenn Mi have to say I'm a little surprised with all the love for Tim Moltzen in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, on Sunday he did do a few good things, he made some brave saves diving on the ball at feet etc, but that's what first grade fullbacks do!. I think it has gotten to the point with Moltzen that when he actually does what he is supposed to do (take kicks on the full, run the ball back etc) everyone raves about it when in fact he is just being adequate.

I don't think it came across as clearly on TV as it did at the game, but Tim Moltzen potentially cost us that game with two plays. First he MURDERED a try when he had a two man overlap outside him, about 20m out and instead stepped and went himself inside and got crunched. Secondly, with I think about 8 mins to go and we are throwing everything at them, Timmy ends up with the ball about 10m on the last tackle, close to touch, flat footed, no options so he decides to run straight into the teeth of the defence on the last. From there Easts rallied and snuffed us out. A simple grubber into the goal to get a repeat set may have made all the difference.

He always takes the wrong option and has NO passing game. He should be kept as far from 6/7 as possible.

Fullback or even more preferably no.14 are his spots.[/quote]

Exactly.

The most overrated footballer in Weststigers history.

dermo

Post by dermo » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:02 pm

Glennb wrote:I have to say I'm a little surprised with all the love for Tim Moltzen in this thread.

Dont get me wrong, on Sunday he did do a few good things, he made some brave saves diving on the ball at feet etc, but thats what first grade fullbacks do!. I think it has gotten to the point with Moltzen taht when he actually does what he is supposed to do (take kicks on the full, run the ball back etc) everyone raves about it when in fact he is just being adequate.

I dont think it came across as clearly on TV as it did at the game, but Tim Moltzen potentially cost us that game with two plays. First he MURDERED a try when he had a two man overlap outside him, about 20m out and instead stepped and went himself inside and got crunched. Secondly, with I think about 8 mins to go and we are throwing everything at them, Timmy ends up with the ball about 10m on the last tackle, close to touch, flat footed, no options so he decides to run straight into the teeth of the defence on the last. From there Easts rallied and snuffed us out. A simple grubber into the ingoal to get a repeat set may have made all the difference.

He always takes the wrong option and has NO passing game. He should be kept as far from 6/7 as possible. Fullback or even more prefereably no.14 are his spots.

I can't remember the first one you refer to, unless you mistake Moltz for Iosefa who did exactly what you describe, and i think the 2nd one can be blamed on Benji, if he wants to be the organising 7 then getting tackled on the 4th on such a crucial play is not the right option.

underdog

Post by underdog » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 1:51 pm

first one was indeed Iosefa, but then again it looked like a molten pet play.

last year he murdered play after play - i think he denied Mitch Brown 3 tries in the space of 20 minutes in one match...

Having said that, the usual suspects keep murdering great plays by nott making the final pass - Moltzen, Heighington, and a new contender has come forward after only three games with us in iosefa. Ayshford is only marginally better in the sense that he trust Beau outside him, but no-one else, i.e - he doesn't pass to Utai or Lot

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 2:06 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
innsaneink wrote:His speed off the mark, acceleration is remarkable....he's underutilised and really needs to get more involved
it's his overall pace that interests me. we lack pace badly in our backline and moltz's greatest asset is speed atm. if only he would support the forwards or utai when they can pop an offload, we would have so many linebreaks.
And this in my opinion is one of Tedesco's biggest strengths and why Tedesco MUST be first cab off the rank in 2013

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 2:29 pm

Only if Teddy can recover confidence in his knee,

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 5:12 pm

dermo wrote:
Glennb wrote:I have to say I'm a little surprised with all the love for Tim Moltzen in this thread.

Dont get me wrong, on Sunday he did do a few good things, he made some brave saves diving on the ball at feet etc, but thats what first grade fullbacks do!. I think it has gotten to the point with Moltzen taht when he actually does what he is supposed to do (take kicks on the full, run the ball back etc) everyone raves about it when in fact he is just being adequate.

I dont think it came across as clearly on TV as it did at the game, but Tim Moltzen potentially cost us that game with two plays. First he MURDERED a try when he had a two man overlap outside him, about 20m out and instead stepped and went himself inside and got crunched. Secondly, with I think about 8 mins to go and we are throwing everything at them, Timmy ends up with the ball about 10m on the last tackle, close to touch, flat footed, no options so he decides to run straight into the teeth of the defence on the last. From there Easts rallied and snuffed us out. A simple grubber into the ingoal to get a repeat set may have made all the difference.

He always takes the wrong option and has NO passing game. He should be kept as far from 6/7 as possible. Fullback or even more prefereably no.14 are his spots.

I can't remember the first one you refer to, unless you mistake Moltz for Iosefa who did exactly what you describe, and i think the 2nd one can be blamed on Benji, if he wants to be the organising 7 then getting tackled on the 4th on such a crucial play is not the right option.
No, no mistaking for Iosefa, yes there were two butchered tries. Moltzens one was not long before Iosefa's. It was on our right hand side. I couldnt be bothered rewatching the video but I did notice it didnt show up on TV but live, I was standing on the hill screaming for him to pass it. Simple stuff. As far as the second part, yes I agree that it would have been better for our no7 to have the ball in hand at that point however, the main discussion here seems to be wether Moltzen should be in 6/7 and clearly when that is the option you take on the last when your team is on a roll and desperate speaks volumes.

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 5:14 pm

underdog wrote:first one was indeed Iosefa, but then again it looked like a molten pet play.
No there was two, Moltzen the other, it doesnt show up on TV but live it was a crime.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 5:44 pm

happy tiger wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:
innsaneink wrote:His speed off the mark, acceleration is remarkable....he's underutilised and really needs to get more involved
it's his overall pace that interests me. we lack pace badly in our backline and moltz's greatest asset is speed atm. if only he would support the forwards or utai when they can pop an offload, we would have so many linebreaks.
And this in my opinion is one of Tedesco's biggest strengths and why Tedesco MUST be first cab off the rank in 2013
i havent seen tedesco play but the way he is being talked up, not just here but the fact that he got the first shot at it this year, i would have him there in the 1 if fit in 2013. sooner or later, he will get back in form if he indeed is the real deal.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble