Sad day in Wests Tigers town...however there were positives.

ImageImageImage
stryker

Sad day in Wests Tigers town...however there were positives.

Post by stryker » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:45 pm

The emotion of the day got to the boys today and for me and I would suspect most on here it was fully understandable given the circumstances. The sad scenes of the team heads bowed, some in tears, in that minutes silence was very powerful. on top of their sadness for Robbie and his family, they were also greiving for themselves...they knew Sonia and the news must have hurt. The last thing they would have felt like doing was play a game of footy against a side who hasnt won in a month despite playing quite well. They were missing Ellis, Farah, Fults and Sirro. This is understandable. You could see they werent fully into it and by half time they were surely turning in their worst performance of the season. I felt really sorry for them that they were being flogged to rub salt into the wounds.

However they dug deep and in true Wests Tigers fashion, made a comebak. In the end they almost stole it. I saw some positives out there today that will help us win this competition.

1) The brotherhood shown during the minutes silence and each players individual reactions. They are a tight knit group which will pay dividends for the sides performances at years end.
2) The Roosters were desperate for victory and were at near full strength as opposed to us being short at least 4 guys. Yet we slaughtered them for parts of that second half.
3) Beau Ryan continued his stella 2012 form with yet another individual try. His highlights reel is starting to resemble Robbie and Benjis (not quite but you know what I mean).
4) Tim Moltzen turned in a very impressive display of staunch fullback play and aggressive attacking prowess. He touched the ball as often as Benji did in that last 20 minutes.
5) Rowdy and Lote were very strong in attack and defence. Rowdy in particular was great.
6) Benji started STEPPING! I was screaming at the telly at the end when he was bamboozaling the line. He is mounting to something devastating.
7) Woodsy and Keith kept trundling it up against a fired up pack who were belting them. Their defence was down but they made good meters.
8) Aysh was getting involved in attack with his trademark rolling gate, fend and offload.
9) Leichardt pulling 20K plus. Whether it was out of condolence support for Rob or the genuine belief this side can go all the way, it was a great turn out that I hope we can build on for the rest of the season.

In the end we were beaten and beaten well but I was proud of a few things that happened out there today and as said under the circumstances can forgive that performance. I hope they are all having some quieties with Rob and the family tonight to drown a few sorrows ahead of the business starting again with their sights set on Newcastle. The form is still there....just the application lacking a little today.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:51 pm

good post stryker!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:55 pm

stryker wrote:The emotion of the day got to the boys today and for me and I would suspect most on here it was fully understandable given the circumstances. The sad scenes of the team heads bowed, some in tears, in that minutes silence was very powerful. on top of their sadness for Robbie and his family, they were also greiving for themselves...they knew Sonia and the news must have hurt. The last thing they would have felt like doing was play a game of footy against a side who hasnt won in a month despite playing quite well. They were missing Ellis, Farah, Fults and Sirro. This is understandable. You could see they werent fully into it and by half time they were surely turning in their worst performance of the season. I felt really sorry for them that they were being flogged to rub salt into the wounds.

However they dug deep and in true Wests Tigers fashion, made a comebak. In the end they almost stole it. I saw some positives out there today that will help us win this competition.

1) The brotherhood shown during the minutes silence and each players individual reactions. They are a tight knit group which will pay dividends for the sides performances at years end.
2) The Roosters were desperate for victory and were at near full strength as opposed to us being short at least 4 guys. Yet we slaughtered them for parts of that second half.
3) Beau Ryan continued his stella 2012 form with yet another individual try. His highlights reel is starting to resemble Robbie and Benjis (not quite but you know what I mean).
4) Tim Moltzen turned in a very impressive display of staunch fullback play and aggressive attacking prowess. He touched the ball as often as Benji did in that last 20 minutes.
5) Rowdy and Lote were very strong in attack and defence. Rowdy in particular was great.
6) Benji started STEPPING! I was screaming at the telly at the end when he was bamboozaling the line. He is mounting to something devastating.
7) Woodsy and Keith kept trundling it up against a fired up pack who were belting them. Their defence was down but they made good meters.
8) Aysh was getting involved in attack with his trademark rolling gate, fend and offload.
9) Leichardt pulling 20K plus. Whether it was out of condolence support for Rob or the genuine belief this side can go all the way, it was a great turn out that I hope we can build on for the rest of the season.

In the end we were beaten and beaten well but I was proud of a few things that happened out there today and as said under the circumstances can forgive that performance. I hope they are all having some quieties with Rob and the family tonight to drown a few sorrows ahead of the business starting again with their sights set on Newcastle. The form is still there....just the application lacking a little today.
Great post!

Despite losing, I thought the return to form of Ayshford and Lawrence was very encouraging, I thought our attack in the backs looked pretty good.

Our defence in the middle was poor, but we missing Farah and Fulton, who will fix that up quickly.

Fingers crosses Blair and BMM dont play that bad again, well off today

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:56 pm

I wanted to start a thread for Lawrence, he had inspirational moments today. I like it when he plays in that sort of mood.

Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

hellman

Post by hellman » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 6:58 pm

I thought we weren't that bad today.

We got steam rolled by a tough pack, a skillful hooker and some great outside backs. We also gave it back to them at various stages throughout the game.

Plenty of positives and I think you picked up on a lot of them.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:03 pm

I felt very proud of what i saw out there today. We were a beaten side before the first whistle one suspects and it took us 40 mins to actually shake off the slow start. What we saw was 40 mins of passion, desire, mateship. We lost a lot of things today and some of those things are more important than a game of football. So is mateship though and the guys should all be proud of their efforts today. I found it almost saddening the way we charged back into the game because it was nothing but raw emotion and love for Robbie that instigated it.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:06 pm

Tigerpete wrote:I found it almost saddening the way we charged back into the game because it was nothing but raw emotion and love for Robbie that instigated it.
Exactly mate...Gus was laughing about it...I had tears in my eyes.

Brisbane Tiger

Post by Brisbane Tiger » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:24 pm

Newcastle will be lapped.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:27 pm

Good post Stryker. A few points:
1. You can't take Robbie and Liam out of the defensive structure and expect things to go well. They usually make 80-90 tackles between them.
2. We still could have won if BMM, Reddy or Lote had scored when they nearly did.
3. That ridiculous toe-thru try to the Roosters would never have been awarded if it wasn't for Morris' try in SOO on Wednesday. Morris' try was awarded because Thurston was ruled to have stripped the ball. In the last 100 years of Rugby League what happened today is a knock-on.
4. It suits us for the Roosters to come good and beat a few teams. The current problem in the comp is that the bottom 8 are playing terribly - only the Warriors and maybe the Dragons are capable of causing an upset.
5. We are still the best team in the comp.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:32 pm

Positives:

Lawrence and Lote still on the improve;
Benji only came to life for about 20 minutes (also a negative but I hope people see my point on this one);
Woods and Galloway made good metres once again;
Reddy looked alright coming off the bench;
We scored 28 points with a second string hooker and no genuine 6 playing; and
Moltzen was very good at fullback.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:37 pm

1/The fightback Kept the pride in the jersey It would of been so sad to see us get lapped

2/The backline It is starting to function a bit like the unit it should function as

3/This will hopefully brings us even tighter together for the run home

DJZ

Post by DJZ » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:39 pm

:sign: Great post there mate . Well written! :sign: :sign:

ambostu

Post by ambostu » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:40 pm

stryker wrote:The emotion of the day got to the boys today and for me and I would suspect most on here it was fully understandable given the circumstances. The sad scenes of the team heads bowed, some in tears, in that minutes silence was very powerful. on top of their sadness for Robbie and his family, they were also greiving for themselves...they knew Sonia and the news must have hurt. The last thing they would have felt like doing was play a game of footy against a side who hasnt won in a month despite playing quite well. They were missing Ellis, Farah, Fults and Sirro. This is understandable. You could see they werent fully into it and by half time they were surely turning in their worst performance of the season. I felt really sorry for them that they were being flogged to rub salt into the wounds.

X 2 mate, well said.

BrissieTiger67

Post by BrissieTiger67 » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:44 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:Good post Stryker. A few points:

3. That ridiculous toe-thru try to the Roosters would never have been awarded if it wasn't for Morris' try in SOO on Wednesday. Morris' try was awarded because Thurston was ruled to have stripped the ball. In the last 100 years of Rugby League what happened today is a knock-on.

I think under the rules it is deemed a try. Benji scored an odd try last year where he went to boot it and missed but it turned in to a drop goal that he regathered and he scored. It was all completely legitimate by the rule book.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:49 pm

wests-tigers today showed how they bond together and do their best when up against adversity.

hold your head's up high fellas.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:52 pm

You just have to overlook today ... We are still a great club and hopefully events from today may draw everyone in the club a bit closer. We saw all the fighting qualities out ther near the end of the game.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:59 pm

the boys should now have silenced any one who said we had problems and infighting , specially 1 matt no brains johns

tiger-stripes

Post by tiger-stripes » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 8:00 pm

Tigerpete wrote:I felt very proud of what i saw out there today. We were a beaten side before the first whistle one suspects and it took us 40 mins to actually shake off the slow start. What we saw was 40 mins of passion, desire, mateship. We lost a lot of things today and some of those things are more important than a game of football. So is mateship though and the guys should all be proud of their efforts today. I found it almost saddening the way we charged back into the game because it was nothing but raw emotion and love for Robbie that instigated it.
X2

The boys just had no heart for the defensive effort today and the roosters took advantage. And that is absolutely no criticism at all because i wouldn't have either in their shoes. Those scenes pre-match showed how deeply affected the boys were and any fan expecting them to rip in today is heartless and missing the big picture of what's really important in life. The boys put up a courageous fight, but ultimately it just probably wasn't a day where any of them wanted to play footy. That mateship and team bond may have "cost" us the two points today but it will win us far more from here.