Tigers star Nofoaluma urges teammates to move on from Cleary departure

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm

By Adrian Proszenko
10 November 2018 — 8:00pm

David Nofoaluma says there is no point in Wests Tigers players remaining “angry” over Ivan Cleary’s shock departure, although he concedes that task is more difficult for those who moved to Concord to be coached by him.

Former Souths mentor Michael Maguire will oversee the Tigers preseason once he completes his commitments with the New Zealand national side. Maguire takes over from Cleary, who was released from the final two years of his contract to rejoin Penrith.

Cleary took the Tigers to within one place of a semi-final appearance in what turned out to be his last season at the club. His tenure was marked by “on the bus”, a line he used to describe his desire to work only with those fully committed to the club.

Ironically, it is Cleary who has chosen to disembark, returning to the Panthers just three years after they sacked him. Nofoaluma, the first Tigers player to comment on the scenario, said there was no point feeling bitter about Cleary’s departure.

“As a player at the club we can’t be angry at what has happened, we need to move on straight away if we’re going to be positive about it,” Nofoaluma said.

“We signed a coach in Michael Maguire and he seems fully committed to the club.
“It’s the first year so there’s no pressure on him. I’m sure he’s going to do a fantastic job, I look forward to working under him.”

Several Tigers recruits – including Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye, Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall – had come specifically to play under Cleary. Nofoaluma conceded it may be more difficult for some of them to move on.

“If it was me, if the reason I signed was because you wanted me there, I would definitely be disappointed,” he said. “If a coach signs you to the club and he leaves the way he did, it’s a tough one."

Nofoaluma said “a few boys" would be looking forward to the round four clash against Penrith.

"But we’ve got a new coach, we can’t be worried about that game," he said. "We want to be playing finals footy, that’s the ultimate goal for our club.

“We’ve got a coach who wants to make that happen, he’s excited for our club and has got a lot of belief in the group we’ve got. If he needs to make any changes, he will make the right ones.”

The Tigers negotiated a $250,000 payout from the Panthers in return from letting Cleary go early. Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe described the addition of premiership-winning coach Maguire to the club as a “favourable” outcome.

“I can understand why fans would feel let down or betrayed. I have got empathy and sympathy for that,” Pascoe said of Cleary’s departure.

“The other thing is they should be really excited in what we’ve been able to achieve in going out and securing Michael Maguire for the next three years. They should be really excited about the position the club is in as well. There’s a lot to look forward to for a Wests Tigers fan or member.”

The Tigers were initially going to make Cleary fulfil the full terms of his contract but recognised the situation had become untenable once he committed to Penrith from 2021. Asked why he thought Cleary would return to a club that recently sacked him, Pascoe said: “I obviously was shocked for a couple of reasons, one that he was going back to that club. He has got his own motivations for that.

“I was also shocked given he had done a terrific job helping the club create a bit of stability and build some real character within the playing squad.

“Coaches and players come and go but as long as the vision is true to what we’re trying to build – which is a club we want to be proud of – we can still all be on the bus.

“We just have a different coach, pardon the pun.”

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:14 pm

its a opinion i guess
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:36 pm

Don't lose the anger boys ......carry it round with you .......use it when you need it

Turn it into a positive ......prove to the comp Ivan got it horribly wrong and jumped on the lame horse

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:41 pm

Rd 1 can't come quick enough... Over this crap

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:36 pm
Don't lose the anger boys ......carry it round with you .......use it when you need it

Turn it into a positive ......prove to the comp Ivan got it horribly wrong and jumped on the lame horse
x2
No more plodders!
:sign:

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:55 pm

Good fella Nofoaluma putting the Club 1st and showing maturity in his answers...I like what he said about the players bought in..

Privately though could be a different matter altogether..as long as they remain focused on the present
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 1:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:41 pm
123 days.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 3:49 pm

mike wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 1:32 pm
innsaneink wrote:
123 days.
Insert Like Here for the Maths

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 4:29 pm

i met david once. top kid.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 5:46 pm

Nofoaluma is everything rugby league is losing. He is humble, loyal and sensible. I just hope he is good enough to stay in first grade as we develop our squad. Thompson is my first pick on the wing. The young, fast ISP winger/fullback may put pressure on Nofa.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 6:31 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 5:46 pm
Nofoaluma is everything rugby league is losing. He is humble, loyal and sensible. I just hope he is good enough to stay in first grade as we develop our squad. Thompson is my first pick on the wing. The young, fast ISP winger/fullback may put pressure on Nofa.
When the young fast 19 yo ISP winger fullback can punch out 150 to 200m + per game at NRL level..maybe
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 6:42 pm

Id put Nofo and Thompson down as set and forget.

Hopefully they play every round
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:14 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 6:31 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 5:46 pm
When the young fast 19 yo ISP winger fullback can punch out 150 to 200m + per game at NRL level..maybe
I agree mate - just considering speed. I’d also add that under Maguire I’d expect our forwards will be challenged to punch out some of the metres our back three were expected to do
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:21 pm

Not sure about his comment in regards to Maguire.
"Its the first year so there's no pressure on him".

Its sums up the perceived culture of the club, looking for reasons/excuses.

We didnt make the 8 but we had a new coach.

Demps

Post by Demps » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:25 pm

Tigers fans urge their starting winger, David Nofoaluma to not stink it up another season.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:26 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:21 pm
Not sure about his comment in regards to Maguire.
"Its the first year so there's no pressure on him".

Its sums up the perceived culture of the club, looking for reasons/excuses.

We didnt make the 8 but we had a new coach.
In for a rude shock Mr Nofa if that’s the case.
Trust me the dead wood will voluntarily leave once they get a dose of Madge.

tiger_one

Post by tiger_one » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:27 pm

innsaneink wrote:

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 7:28 pm

Yeah, the no pressure comment is ridiculous. Noffa in brown nose mode. Doesn’t wanna end up on the outer like he was with Ivan this year.