Wests Tigers young guns star in Schoolboys thrashing

Wests Tigers National Youth Competition Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33162
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Wests Tigers young guns star in Schoolboys thrashing

Post by willow » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 5:18 pm

Wests Tigers young guns star in Schoolboys thrashing
Author - Dan Talintyre
Timestamp - Mon 26 Nov 2018, 10:31 AM

Wests Tigers young guns Jock Madden, Tommy Talau and Zac Cini have all played a starring role in the Australian Schoolboys 92-0 thrashing of England Colleges on Sunday night.

Kicking off the annual tour of the United Kingdom, Madden, Talau and Cini all contributed points to the win that saw the Schoolboys romp to victory.

Cini, a Wests Tigers Development Player in 2020, crossed for four tries while Talau also found his way across the line in the 92-point win.

Madden chalked up eight goals and had a hand in several tries.

To read more about the trio and Wests Tigers Development players, click here.

Australian Schoolboys 92 (Zac Cini 4, Tesi Nui 2, Bradman Best, Jason Saab, Stephen Crichton, Franklin Pele, Tommy Talau, Star Toa tries; Jock Madden 8, Crichton 2 goals) def. England Colleges XIII 0


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29714
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 5:27 pm

training run...games of this nature do nothing for the boys

User avatar
TheDaBoss
Member
Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:43 am
Location: C'Town

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 6:36 pm

thrashing another team, is not the best way to work up your ability at the game..
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

User avatar
IBleedBlack&Orange
Member
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:18 am

Post by IBleedBlack&Orange » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 9:36 am

TheDaBoss wrote:
Mon 26 Nov, 2018 6:36 pm
thrashing another team, is not the best way to work up your ability at the game..
92-0 tho!! and 3 Tigers youngsters starred so that shows that talent coming through
Search "clinton gage drone" on YouTube and subscribe to the channel "Drone Photography"

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6174
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 11:43 am

I believe the College side they faced is the lower tier of British juniors. The games are supposed to get harder moving forward I think. Yorkshire and Lancashire next - not sure if these are juniors or adults, then the Academy side twice, which I believe is the UK equivalent of the Schoolboys team.

Regardless our Schoolboys usually dominate the UK juniors and this particular crop appears a pretty good one, they should be too strong for every side.

What they should REALLY do is get the Schoolboys to go up against a Championship or League 1 side on the tour, sample them out against some seasoned adults rather than kids in an inferior development system.


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29714
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah hopefully the tour gradually gets tougher for them, you'd think so

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 7:55 pm

Highlights of the game against Yorkshire Academy. Talau although a good size for a 5/8 is forceful, defends well and has a great kicking game. He is not overly big compared to the forwards. Madden picked up an injury in the first game and did not play. Cini has excellent foot work and always seems to beat the first one or two defenders. He is a good size and the Schoolboys team lack cohesion with Madden out so Cini switched to half (left side) in the second half and backed up two good breaks by the very good hooker Ryan Gray to score twice. He also set up a try skipping to the outide of the defence to get the ball wide. His defence also looks good and I think he is a centre. He seems to be one of those players who does well getting as much ball as possible. Two really good prospects.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/thre ... nd.473579/

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 8:51 pm

Smart halves with Talau and Madden. Some really nice passing from Talau to set up a couple of tries. Madden looks like one of those scheming 7s with a good running game. Game is against the Lancashire Academy.


User avatar
tiger_one
Member
Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:20 pm

Post by tiger_one » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks for the vid pawsandclaws.

User avatar
TheDaBoss
Member
Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:43 am
Location: C'Town

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 2:18 pm

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... dominance/

Wests Tigers 2018 Australian Schoolboys — Jock Madden, Tommy Talau and Zac Cini — have continued their good form with starring roles to keep their unbeaten start to the tour in tact.

After helping the green and gold to a stunning 92-0 win over England Colleges to begin the tour, the trio continued their impressive performances with a gritty 30-22 win over Yorkshire Academy midweek before trouncing Lancashire Academy 30-18 to remain unbeaten through the first three games of the tour.

A 2020 Development Player, Cini took his tour tally to six in two matches when he bagged another double against Yorkshire while Talau, a 2019 Development Player, also crossed in the win before being named Man of the Match in Game Three.

Madden also landed a number of goals in the respective matches.

With the warm-up matches out of the way, the Schoolboys will now face their toughest test of their tour, a two-game series against the England Academy.

Three games into the #AustralianSchoolboys tour and some great performances so far.

Zac Cini leads the try scorers list with 6. Stephen Crichton has 4, while Bradman Best & Ryan Gray both have 3.

Jock Madden (13G) and Crichton (4T, 5G) have both scored 26 points. pic.twitter.com/g0uD0r1EMr

— 18thMan.com (@18thManRL) December 2, 2018
GAME I — Australian Schoolboys 92 def. England Colleges 0

Positions: Zac Cini (Wing), Jock Madden (Five-Eighth), Tommy Talau (Bench)
Tries: Zac Cini (4), Tommy Talau (1)
Goals: Jock Madden (10/13)


GAME II — Australian Schoolboys 30 def. Yorkshire Academy 22

Positions: Zac Cini (Wing), Tommy Talau (Five-Eighth), Jock Madden (Bench)
Tries: Zac Cini (2), Tommy Talau (1)


GAME III — Australian Schoolboys 30 def. Lancashire Academy 18

Positions: Tommy Talau (Five-Eighth), Jock Madden (Halfback), Zac Cini (Bench)
Goals: Jock Madden (3/6)
Man of the Match: Tommy Talau
Man of the Match awards:

Game 1 v England Colleges - Star To'a (Newcastle High/Knights)
Game 2 v Yorkshire - Ryan Gray (De La Salle College/Bulldogs)
Game 3 v Lancashire - Tommy Talau (Westfields Sports/Tigers)#AustralianSchoolboys #rugbyleague

— 18thMan.com (@18thManRL) December 2, 2018
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3576
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 2:25 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 2:18 pm
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... dominance/

Wests Tigers 2018 Australian Schoolboys — Jock Madden, Tommy Talau and Zac Cini — have continued their good form with starring roles to keep their unbeaten start to the tour in tact.

After helping the green and gold to a stunning 92-0 win over England Colleges to begin the tour, the trio continued their impressive performances with a gritty 30-22 win over Yorkshire Academy midweek before trouncing Lancashire Academy 30-18 to remain unbeaten through the first three games of the tour.

A 2020 Development Player, Cini took his tour tally to six in two matches when he bagged another double against Yorkshire while Talau, a 2019 Development Player, also crossed in the win before being named Man of the Match in Game Three.

Madden also landed a number of goals in the respective matches.

With the warm-up matches out of the way, the Schoolboys will now face their toughest test of their tour, a two-game series against the England Academy.

Three games into the #AustralianSchoolboys tour and some great performances so far.

Zac Cini leads the try scorers list with 6. Stephen Crichton has 4, while Bradman Best & Ryan Gray both have 3.

Jock Madden (13G) and Crichton (4T, 5G) have both scored 26 points. pic.twitter.com/g0uD0r1EMr

— 18thMan.com (@18thManRL) December 2, 2018
GAME I — Australian Schoolboys 92 def. England Colleges 0

Positions: Zac Cini (Wing), Jock Madden (Five-Eighth), Tommy Talau (Bench)
Tries: Zac Cini (4), Tommy Talau (1)
Goals: Jock Madden (10/13)


GAME II — Australian Schoolboys 30 def. Yorkshire Academy 22

Positions: Zac Cini (Wing), Tommy Talau (Five-Eighth), Jock Madden (Bench)
Tries: Zac Cini (2), Tommy Talau (1)


GAME III — Australian Schoolboys 30 def. Lancashire Academy 18

Positions: Tommy Talau (Five-Eighth), Jock Madden (Halfback), Zac Cini (Bench)
Goals: Jock Madden (3/6)
Man of the Match: Tommy Talau
Man of the Match awards:

Game 1 v England Colleges - Star To'a (Newcastle High/Knights)
Game 2 v Yorkshire - Ryan Gray (De La Salle College/Bulldogs)
Game 3 v Lancashire - Tommy Talau (Westfields Sports/Tigers)#AustralianSchoolboys #rugbyleague

— 18thMan.com (@18thManRL) December 2, 2018
I would think at least one of the parents of Bradman Best is a cricket tragic who would love their son to take up the bat

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9803
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:01 pm

Bradman Best is from my neck of the woods. State level sprinter at least a few years back.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6174
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:01 pm
Bradman Best is from my neck of the woods. State level sprinter at least a few years back.
Big lad for how fast he is.

Horrible name for a regular joe but it would work for him if he succeeds in becoming a full-time footballer - hard to forget such a name.

He still won't avoid being called Bradman Worst, however.

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:37 pm

No we have to Keep Em.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29714
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 09 Dec, 2018 9:54 pm

Harry Smith scored ten of England’s 14 points in a Man of the Match performance as Dave Elliot’s men secured a 14-8 win over the Australian Schoolboys at Leigh Sports Village on Saturday.

Leeds Rhinos centre Harry Newman opened the scoring with an effort from the ruck, Smith converting, before the Wigan halfback got over himself – chasing his own kick to touch down after an Australian error.

England led 12-0 at half time and Smith added a penalty soon after the restart to make it 14-0.

Though Australia struck back with unconverted tries from Stephen Crichton and Timanu Alexander, England held on to make it ‘1-0’ ahead of Friday’s second test at Emerald Headingley

Post Reply