no FIFITA?

Lukic
Member
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: no FIFITA?

Post by Lukic » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:07 pm

If Sheens named 4 forwards on the bench, we wouldn't have to worry about Fifita only being able to play 2 x 15 minute bursts.


ron burgandy
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:24 pm

Post by ron burgandy » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:21 pm

Glennb wrote:
ron burgandy wrote:
yeah that was all fifita....ffs what a retarded comment...

hey ive never been attack by a bear because i always wear a hat outside....if i got attacked by a bear because i wasnt wearing a hat was it because i wasnt wearing a hat or i just happened to outside when a bear was about?

what i just posted makes about as much sense as your theory
Nice analogy Ron. I'll have to try to remember that one next time you suggest that our fitness coach is responsible for us being top 4 immediately after being run over in the second half by the worst second half team in the comp.

he is as responsible as anyone else....overall we have competed and won more close games then in years past....has our attack changed? nope still play the same infact it maybe worse....our completeion rates this year are as bad as any other year yet we are winning games becuase we have the fitness to stick around now more then any other year.....folkes may not be directly responsible but his contribution physically and mentally to this team this year is undeniable as we have won more games by 7 or less this year then in the previous couple of years combined

P.S... i dont like you

User avatar
Tigersmurf
Member
Member
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue 20 Oct, 2009 8:40 pm

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:47 pm

He does sound cranky with you Ron - you aren't dating his Mrs are you?

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:53 pm

Tigersmurf wrote:He does sound cranky with you Ron - you aren't dating his Mrs are you?
Not Ron, Its more likely that Anderson Silva bloke...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

ron burgandy
Member
Member
Posts: 1711
Joined: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:24 pm

Post by ron burgandy » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:00 pm

Tigersmurf wrote:He does sound cranky with you Ron - you aren't dating his Mrs are you?

He is my E-stalker...talks about me even when im not in a thread....check the manchild thread if you want proof


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32957
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:05 pm

Back on topic people.

Leroy The Tigers Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm not exactly sure whether Fifita is Polynesian or Melanesian, regardless of the fact front row forwards are not or ever should be the athletes that coaches want them to be.
I don't have a problem with a front rower carrying a little weight, it does tend to prevent injury, compare them to a heavyweight boxer, often the opponent carrying little weight with the chisel features either has a glass jaw or gets the beeejeezus flogged out of him.
It wasn't that long ago I came across and old Video tape and even though it had been taped over a few times right there at the end of the game in the 78th minute Blocker Roach set up the winning try against Norths in a ABC game in 1990, yes 20 years ago but he didn't spend any time catching his breath on the bench, please bring back the attrition and the Gladitorial aspect of the game, unfortunately we don't look after our bigger men and I recall it was a selling point at one stage in our relentless battle against GayFL, the only options soon for a larger man will be Yawnion, d'oh.

User avatar
Balmain Bug
Member
Member
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 8:01 pm

Moors is right to play. Its a mystery.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 8:06 am

ron burgandy wrote:
Glennb wrote:
ron burgandy wrote:
yeah that was all fifita....ffs what a retarded comment...

hey ive never been attack by a bear because i always wear a hat outside....if i got attacked by a bear because i wasnt wearing a hat was it because i wasnt wearing a hat or i just happened to outside when a bear was about?

what i just posted makes about as much sense as your theory
Nice analogy Ron. I'll have to try to remember that one next time you suggest that our fitness coach is responsible for us being top 4 immediately after being run over in the second half by the worst second half team in the comp.

he is as responsible as anyone else....overall we have competed and won more close games then in years past....has our attack changed? nope still play the same infact it maybe worse....our completeion rates this year are as bad as any other year yet we are winning games becuase we have the fitness to stick around now more then any other year.....folkes may not be directly responsible but his contribution physically and mentally to this team this year is undeniable as we have won more games by 7 or less this year then in the previous couple of years combined

I see you have COMPLETELY changed your tune, it was that he was completely responsible and Sheens was not, now he has made a contribution. Actually this I completely agreee with.
ron burgandy wrote:
P.S... i dont like you
I consider this high praise coming from you. Tell you what I'll do you a favour, I'm going to give this forum a miss for a while. You are correct what you have posted below in that I have let you get under my skin and I have bitten and responded too many times to your inane posts. I have done so because your charade is maddening to me and it has been too much fun pointing out the errors and flat out BS in all your posts. You are living a Walter Mitty life here, so I am going to step put for a while with a bit of real life.

FWIW you and a couple of others have completely dragged down this forum IMO. Congratulations and cherrio...



PS> My apologies to Willow and the other admins for derailing this thread. Iit obviously will be the last time I scratch at this flea.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 9:44 am

tigerman wrote:did anyone notice when the tigers were struggling to make ground and go forward in their own quarter ,Keith did the old fashion play,tucked the ball under his arm and just ran straight and hard.It was not only required but refreshing to see as all the tiger decoy runs,dummies and inside passes sure serve there purpose ,but nearly every play makes them predictable for the opposition.Bring in Fifita and Moors and let them rip in rather than use zero impact players.
Yes, I did notice this! It was straight after Brown and another back tried to hit the ball up and were driven backwards. Very welcome to see, but as has been pointed out it happened far too infrequently - the amount of lame inside ball hit-ups during the game was frustrating to say the least, and got us nowhere. Please, give us another big forward on the bench to fire this pack up...

Citizen Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:10 am

Post by Citizen Tiger » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 11:32 pm

willow wrote:
Firstly your contention in relation to the burning of body fat is incorrect. The amount of glycogen a person has on board and the nature of the excercise will determine when a person begins to use stored fat as an energy source. Indeed it may be 30 minutes for a walker, or some similarly low key activity. Rugby League players however reach their lactate thresholds fairly quickly because it is a very high intensity excercise that uses massive amounts of calories per minute.

Given that first grade pace and intensity is somewhat higher than State Cup I think it easily argued that Fifita will benefit immensely, provide the coach gives him at least 15 minutes per half. The rewards IMO, absolutely outweigh the perceived 'risks'. There is a clear difference in the skill sets of the two players.

Not sure where you are going with your last comment, don't think Galloway would draw much satisfaction from 'scraping' a 14 year old off his shoe
Fifita's issue is his stored bodyfat level, he's not cutting it in terms of skin fold measurements. To burn stored bodyfat levels, low to moderate exercise is the best option. Having said that Rugby League is not moderate as you say. Fifita is not going to burn as much fat playing 30 minutes in FG as he would playing 60 minutes in State Cup. You are right in the difference between the two skill sets, fact is Galloway is a much better defender who reads the play better and has a higher woorkrate, whereas at the moment Fifita will not last 30 minutes in FG because his cardio and match fitness is not up to scratch, and that's why he's playing State Cup.

And yes, you're right about my last comment, I'm sure Galloway wouldn't waste his time with someone who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
Skin fold and body fat percentage may have little consequence in a game like Rugby League, unless the numbers are getting close to the obese range. There are plenty of blokes around the place like Hickey and Rose that would have bigger skin fold numbers than Fifita. V02 max and other relevant oxygen uptake numbers will provide better indicators. If you assume that the strength element is in place and with 3 or 4 gym sessions a week that's a given, the red blood cell performance is of much more importance than a retro caliper test. To suggest that 60 minutes in SC is clearly of more benefit than 30 mins in FG is also a flawed contention. If you have the time read Moser 'The Hour and Beyond' , which includes Dr Conconi's detailed training schedule or Chris Boardman's/Graeme O'Bree's biographies and in particular their preparations for the hour record. Shorter periods of high intensity are of more long term benefit than the alternative.

Your last comment is a throw away, save to say that if he knows nothing, then so do the majority of posters in this thread. FWIW I can't wait to see the back of Galloway

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 1:32 pm

See...this is the problem with today's game... Too many scientists, not enough footballers!!!

Skin folds, VO2, blood cells.... Please... What happened to the days when you would play the guy in the front row who could run through a brick wall???
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
DavidDuncan
Member
Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Berowra

Post by DavidDuncan » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 3:03 pm

I think sometimes our forwards look hesitant running into tacklers. Some even look like they are trying to put a step on to go round the defence.

They should run like there is nobody in front of them.
Remember the past. Live in the now. Plan for the future.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29200
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:16 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:See...this is the problem with today's game... Too many scientists, not enough footballers!!!

Skin folds, VO2, blood cells.... Please... What happened to the days when you would play the guy in the front row who could run through a brick wall???
1978......

:supporter:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32957
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:21 pm

Skin fold and body fat percentage may have little consequence in a game like Rugby League, unless the numbers are getting close to the obese range. There are plenty of blokes around the place like Hickey and Rose that would have bigger skin fold numbers than Fifita. V02 max and other relevant oxygen uptake numbers will provide better indicators. If you assume that the strength element is in place and with 3 or 4 gym sessions a week that's a given, the red blood cell performance is of much more importance than a retro caliper test. To suggest that 60 minutes in SC is clearly of more benefit than 30 mins in FG is also a flawed contention. If you have the time read Moser 'The Hour and Beyond' , which includes Dr Conconi's detailed training schedule or Chris Boardman's/Graeme O'Bree's biographies and in particular their preparations for the hour record. Shorter periods of high intensity are of more long term benefit than the alternative.

Your last comment is a throw away, save to say that if he knows nothing, then so do the majority of posters in this thread. FWIW I can't wait to see the back of Galloway
You may be right to an extent regarding the skin fold and bodyfat percentage, however the crux of the matter is whatever targets the Tigers performance staff had set for Fifita he failed, that's why he hasn't played first grade. The club wants him playing more minutes which is why he was playing State Cup where he's less of a risk defensively as he's sucking in the oxygen.

If you watched him play for Wests last weekend you would see what I mean as he had a tendency to have a strong hitup, but then arm grab in defence and jog back onside lazily, when he is tired his defensive technique suffers bigtime. He was definitely fitter and a bit leaner earlier this season when he was having more of an impact.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:31 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:See...this is the problem with today's game... Too many scientists, not enough footballers!!!

Skin folds, VO2, blood cells.... Please... What happened to the days when you would play the guy in the front row who could run through a brick wall???
1978......

:supporter:
:D Shane Webke... Dumb as Dumb :D
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29200
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:36 pm

Oh...I thought you where talking about Wests Tigers/JV....

Fifita has the potential to be a Webke....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Citizen Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:10 am

Post by Citizen Tiger » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 9:43 am

willow wrote:
Skin fold and body fat percentage may have little consequence in a game like Rugby League, unless the numbers are getting close to the obese range. There are plenty of blokes around the place like Hickey and Rose that would have bigger skin fold numbers than Fifita. V02 max and other relevant oxygen uptake numbers will provide better indicators. If you assume that the strength element is in place and with 3 or 4 gym sessions a week that's a given, the red blood cell performance is of much more importance than a retro caliper test. To suggest that 60 minutes in SC is clearly of more benefit than 30 mins in FG is also a flawed contention. If you have the time read Moser 'The Hour and Beyond' , which includes Dr Conconi's detailed training schedule or Chris Boardman's/Graeme O'Bree's biographies and in particular their preparations for the hour record. Shorter periods of high intensity are of more long term benefit than the alternative.

Your last comment is a throw away, save to say that if he knows nothing, then so do the majority of posters in this thread. FWIW I can't wait to see the back of Galloway
You may be right to an extent regarding the skin fold and bodyfat percentage, however the crux of the matter is whatever targets the Tigers performance staff had set for Fifita he failed, that's why he hasn't played first grade. The club wants him playing more minutes which is why he was playing State Cup where he's less of a risk defensively as he's sucking in the oxygen.

If you watched him play for Wests last weekend you would see what I mean as he had a tendency to have a strong hitup, but then arm grab in defence and jog back onside lazily, when he is tired his defensive technique suffers bigtime. He was definitely fitter and a bit leaner earlier this season when he was having more of an impact.

Yeah well the bloody performance staff need to get up to that organic cafe in Concord and see young Fifita putting the pumpkin seeds away :D

Post Reply