Tim Moltzen's best performance as a fullback

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30pm Saturday 16 July
Venue: Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Telecast: Fox Sports
coopy

Re: Tim Moltzen's best performance as a fullback

Post by coopy » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:45 pm

i think it's all relative. Tim did play better. No denying that but it still wasn't of a standard a good NRL fullback.

The most annoying aspect of his game is how he drifts back on kick returns looking for his wingers to return the ball. It costs us valuable metres as he needs to position himself and his winger before he can pass.

He still lacks confidence in my opinion.

Ironically, his best play was when he played the role of a halve for Ayshfords first try.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:46 pm

stryker wrote:Mate McKinnon has been almost all season head and shoulders above him as a fullback.
That is one of the all time posts on this forum.

You can't be serious. Seriously.

FootyJimmy

Post by FootyJimmy » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:47 pm

Never got his confidence back from doing his knee. McKinnon has had a better year (although he's been far from perfect).

I was saying I wish Moltz had McKinnon's support play instincts but I guess it don't matter now.

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:49 pm

moltzen has a lot to learn still about playing fb. his only arsenal in playing back there is when he sniffs around the ruck as he did tonight when he scored he has pace, well a ot more than mckinnon anyway. still wont contest bombs and is scared to run the ball back from kicks.
Last edited by glebe_tiger on Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:49 pm

He still imo does not inspire confidence - look at Bowen - brilliant - Moltzen - so so

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:49 pm

tiger05 wrote:I don't get how posters on here can't see two things regarding Moltzen:-

1. Right now and for the whole season Moltzen > McKinnon and it hasn't been close.
2. Moltzen has the ability to be a top level player at fullback or in the halves.

The amount of egg on posters faces regarding the overrating of McKinnon and the over the top criticism of Moltzen is huge.

Put it this way Sheensy the genius has actually seen it as well and he usually takes a long time to get it. Remember Johnny Cronk at 7.
Do you remember a few days ago that you said he should not be picked to play fullback and that we should be looking at the future . Being a touch hypocritical now don't you think ??. At least I'll admit he played well and had he shown that type of form two months ago many here would have been in agreeance that Moltzen could be better than MacKinnon

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:50 pm

tiger tigers wrote:no egg on my face tiger 05 .....the try he score off benji had nothing to with the number on his back ....i cant wait to play saints if they play him at fullback ....
Your right but McKinnon wouldn't have scored that try or set up Ayshford or played with half as much positional ability that Moltzen did.

I should state that McKinnon is definitely a better fullback than Moltzen but what you guys fail to recognise is that Moltzen is a first grade player whereas McKinnon isn't. Its like putting Peter Sterling at fullback for the tigers. Yes he reads the game better than anyone but he is too old, slow and un-athletic to do anything about it.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:51 pm

happy tiger wrote:Do you remember a few days ago that you said he should not be picked to play fullback and that we should be looking at the future . Being a touch hypocritical now don't you think ??. At least I'll admit he played well and had he shown that type of form two months ago many here would have been in agreeance that Moltzen could be better than MacKinnon
I think you should re-read my post. I said he was the best option now and has been for basically all this season. I still wouldn't be playing him there next week as he is off to the dragons. I'd have Lawrence as my no 1 option.

biggest tigers fan

Post by biggest tigers fan » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:51 pm

:crazy Here we go another moltzen v mackinnon thread
Number 1 souffs hater

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:51 pm

why is this post about mckinnon ... he is off to esl .....

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:53 pm

tiger05 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Do you remember a few days ago that you said he should not be picked to play fullback and that we should be looking at the future . Being a touch hypocritical now don't you think ??. At least I'll admit he played well and had he shown that type of form two months ago many here would have been in agreeance that Moltzen could be better than MacKinnon
I think you should re-read my post. I said he was the best option now and has been for basically all this season. I still wouldn't be playing him there next week as he is off to the dragons. I'd have Lawrence as my no 1 option.
lawrence is a class centre ...why drop him to fullback ... he will play for australia from centre ....

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:54 pm

tiger05 wrote:
stryker wrote:Mate McKinnon has been almost all season head and shoulders above him as a fullback.
That is one of the all time posts on this forum.

You can't be serious. Seriously.
Deadly serious. Macca has had a couple of shockers. Moltz hasnt even had a couple of good games.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way....look at the player of the year rankings 8-)

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:54 pm

tiger05 wrote:I don't get how posters on here can't see two things regarding Moltzen:-

1. Right now and for the whole season Moltzen > McKinnon and it hasn't been close.
2. Moltzen has the ability to be a top level player at fullback or in the halves.

The amount of egg on posters faces regarding the overrating of McKinnon and the over the top criticism of Moltzen is huge.

Put it this way Sheensy the genius has actually seen it as well and he usually takes a long time to get it. Remember Johnny Cronk at 7.
moltzen is avg i have no idea what games u were watching,woods and ellis were looking for there fullback all night with support play to get a offload off and moltzen was being lazy,he also wasnt tested all night and had no idea where he had to be in defense

alien

Post by alien » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:55 pm

moltz did some good things and made some mistakes. not a bad performance but definately not an excellent performance. mckinnon has had a bigger percentage of good games at fullback this year than moltzen. moltzen should be halfback. lui should be playing for the magpies
Last edited by alien on Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:00 pm

alien wrote:moltz did some good things and made some mistakes. not a bad performance but definately not an excellent performance mckinnon has had a bigger percentage of good games at fullback than moltzen. moltzen should be halfback. lui should be playing for the magpies
moltz and lui should both be in state cup imo

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:07 pm

stryker wrote:I'm not the only one who thinks this way....look at the player of the year rankings 8-)
Yep. There are a lot of similarities to the Ennis situation in the media aren't there.

All I can see its just another reason I like Sheensy being the coach. He can see what needs to be done and he is taking action.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:12 pm

The fact that you actually believe that...McKinnon has certainly been poor of late, but he's certainly turned in better games at fullback than Moltzen did tonight. Moltzen was alright, he ended up being safe but apart from the customary set play with Farah and Marshall his support play was lacking. What I want to see after tonight is for Sheens to leave Moltzen in the one position for the rest of the season, then we'll see how he develops. Decent game from him tonight but let's not get carried away just yet, he's got room for improvement.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 4:26 am

biggest tigers fan wrote::crazy Here we go another moltzen v mackinnon thread
this, he's had one good game, let's not get carried away