Benji Backs Tedesco For Fullback

All First Grade related topics in regards to the off-season through to Season 2012
Tiger Watto

Benji Backs Tedesco For Fullback

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:33 am

Benji Marshall backs James Tedesco as Wests Tigers fullback, says emerging talent at club is 'scary'
by Staff Writers FOX SPORTS February 13, 2012 10:58PM

Benji Marshall has backed 19-year-old prodigy James Tedesco to nail down the vacant Wests Tigers fullback position.

Tedesco started in the No.1 jersey in the Tigers' 20-12 trial win over Parramatta on Saturday night, but Tim Sheens has since refused to confirm the youngster will be his starting fullback for the NRL season opener.

Former Parramatta utility Tom Humble also spent some time at fullback, while another ex-Eel in Joel Reddy and Mitch Brown could also be an option for round one against Cronulla at Leichhardt.

But when asked for his pick in the race for the No.1 jersey, Marshall threw his support behind the former Australian Schoolboys representative, describing him as "a special talent".

"There's a few contenders but the young kid who got the run on the weekend, Tedesco; judging off how he's been training and what I've seen from him, he's a special talent and I think he can go a long way," Marshall told Fox Sports.

A number of openings in key positions means the depth at the Tigers could be tested this season, but Marshall said there was plenty to like about the talent coming through the Toyota Cup ranks.

"We've got a few (emerging stars)," Marshall said.

"The talent in our 20s is scary.

"It's a good thing to have behind you and I think we might see a few surprises that pop up in our team." ... 6270206762
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:48 am

Benji is right James Tedesco is the future of the Tigers in the No 1 jersey and I reckon he will be at least as good as Brett Hodgson by the time his career hits its peak and he could quite well even be better

Big wrap I know Only the future will see if I'm right

Post by willow » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 9:51 am

Marshall is right, I like what I see in the 20's this year, moreso than last year. As for Tedesco, well if Benji thinks he's the best option at fullback then the odds of him starting the season there are shortening.

Post by batboy » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:00 am

Tedesco is already bigger than Hodgson...
He got off to a shaky start but came good pretty quickly.
I spoke to him after the game and he said it was fast, And he tried to stay safe...
Took a couple of speckies once he settled down and was pretty safe.
Got monstered a bit, But I think once he gets into the flow of it... He is more than ready!!

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:07 am

All depends on if he's really ready to step up to the position full time, there's only 1 way to find out though.