Are we right in the head?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 9 March 7:30PM
Venue:Bluetongue Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Pierre M7

Re: Are we right in the head?

Post by Pierre M7 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 10:30 pm

Also i feel Farah shouldn't have put up that bomb in the last attacking set we had 20m out from Manly's line. I reckon he should of kept going through the hands out to Marshall, where then they could of continued play to the right and we would of had a chance to score in the corner! Thoughts?
"One flick and they're gone"

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 10:35 pm

Geez, am I the only one who is with Yoss here?

Logic dictates that when only 6 in front you take the 2 to put us more than a converted try in front.

Once you get past that converted try buffer, you try to put the nail in the coffin I.e. go for try.

Hindsight on the other hand can sometimes paint a different picture when you fall only a few points short

It was the right decision. Trying to reason with it by the chance events that happened afterwards is just pointless.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 10:45 pm

hammertime wrote:Geez, am I the only one who is with Yoss here?

Logic dictates that when only 6 in front you take the 2 to put us more than a converted try in front.

Once you get past that converted try buffer, you try to put the nail in the coffin I.e. go for try.

Hindsight on the other hand can sometimes paint a different picture when you fall only a few points short

It was the right decision. Trying to reason with it by the chance events that happened afterwards is just pointless.
Yep just the three of you Yoss ,T4E and yourself Hammer

Might need to reconsider mate I'm used to Yoss and T4E being wrong mate but for yourself that is a rarity (Joking Yoss and T4E)

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 9:04 am

happy tiger wrote:

Might need to reconsider mate I'm used to Yoss and T4E being wrong mate but for yourself that is a rarity (Joking Yoss and T4E)
:lol: :roll thanks happy!!!

It's hard for me to agree with yoss too..... Just joking yoss!

All i can say is that Hindsight can be a wonderful thing. We score and covert there, we are 3 tries in front, instead of 2. (which was also the case without taking the 2 points)

But i reckon all our ire should be actualy directed at the ref!

In no god damn way wasn't a sheppard!! How manly managed to get that penalty in the first place boggles the mind.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 9:34 am

When your playing Melbourne, Manly & St George (before last night), you take the points... Over the past 3 years, these 3 teams concede the least Tries and points are at a premium. The only time I would've taken the tap is if Manly was struggling to get back onside.

At the time of the penalty: Its a quick Tap.

As a result of the Referee ensuring the defence was fully reset: You take the 2.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:20 am

i agree
But we took the 3 metre back kick and gave Manly plenty of time for a rest and to re set their defensive line.then blew it on a 3rd tackle nothing kick .

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:59 am

I think we will have to all agree to disagree.

I for one think Benji and Robbie made the right call and backed our attacking ability. I'm sure Sheensy would agree with the call also.

It just didn't pay off this time.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 12:52 pm

hammertime wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

:lol: :roll thanks happy!!!

It's hard for me to agree with yoss too..... Just joking yoss!

All i can say is that Hindsight can be a wonderful thing. We score and covert there, we are 3 tries in front, instead of 2. (which was also the case without taking the 2 points)

But i reckon all our ire should be actualy directed at the ref!

In no god damn way wasn't a sheppard!! How manly managed to get that penalty in the first place boggles the mind.
No it shocked me too Hammer!! And I agree with everything you said above. That and the 6 again call. We did a lot of dumb things with the ball but we didn't have too much luck go our way.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 3:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
bonstonker wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
bonstonker wrote:it doesn't matter what you thought might happen if we had kicked the goal.
history would have been changed.
if we kick the goal we get the ball back.
manly would not have got the ball back and the game plays out like the first instance.
we could of coughed up the ball on the restart and manly score a try.

we have no idea what would have happened if we kicked the goal to go up 10-0.
Is that aimed at me?

does that make a difference?
Does if you're suggesting I'm not entitled to an opinion...
you are entitled to an opinion.but your opinion is irrelevant when the fact is that everything that happened after the decision to go for 6 is now wiped away.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 3:39 pm

bonstonker wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

does that make a difference?
Does if you're suggesting I'm not entitled to an opinion...
you are entitled to an opinion.but your opinion is irrelevant when the fact is that everything that happened after the decision to go for 6 is now wiped away.[/quote]

The whole thread is speculative... Not sure why my opinion is irrelevant but presumably everyone speculating on what would have happened if we took the kick is fair enough. Seems a double standard to me.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 3:54 pm

Getting a bit paranoid there Yoss....its OK

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 4:58 pm

yoss i wasn't just saying it to you which is why i didn't quote you in my first post.
i'm also saying it to anyone who simply adds the 4 points of a denied try to a scoreline and say they would have won after they lose a game by 2.
people use this logic all the time and it drives me nuts.

your statement that we lose 20-22 not 18-22 simply can't be supported.
and any talk about what might have happened after such a decision is a waste of time,because we will never know.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 5:11 pm

Quick tap not on for NRL master Bennett
SSteve Jancetic AAP Mon, Mar 12, 2012 - 2:23 PM

Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett has finally revealed why his NRL teams tend to take the shot at goal when awarded a penalty goal inside the opposition half.

"The era of the quick tap is gone," surmised the seven-time premiership-winning mentor.

"There's no quick tap any more - the referees won't let you take the tap because you've (the defence) got to be back ten yards.

"The whole game stops, the captains all race out, they want to have a yarn to the ref because they want to slow it down even further - you lose a hell of an advantage.

"If you're chasing points you take the tap, but if you're not chasing points you're better off coming up with two than coming up empty."

Fans and commentators have long been left bemused by Bennett's teams going for the safety-first option of a shot at goal, when more points seemingly beckoned with a back-pedalling defence on the rack.

It wasn't always that way, with former Bennett pupil Allan Langer a master of the quick tap during their time at Brisbane.

But Bennett believes the actions of referees and quick-thinking captains have negated the tactic in recent years.

Bennett insisted it was a decision left up to the players.

The Knights, possibly not yet versed in the Bennett way and with skipper Kurt Gidley off the field, took a chance with a tap 10-metres out from the Sharks' line in the sixth minute of Sunday's clash with Cronulla.

It paid off with Akuila Uate scoring on the next set, but the reward did not match the risk anymore according to Bennett.

"Invariably ... the team that takes the tap comes up empty and a lot of times they'll make a stupid mistake as well to double the whammy," Bennett said.

"The other team get up on that ..... you see a lot more teams now taking the two points."
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 5:32 pm

Must be hard to coach the kiwis then when Marshall is one of the most prolific quick tap takers in out game.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 5:40 pm

i agree underdog, benji is one of the best in the game, but this time it was different, in that moment, i thought we might have matured as a team. i thought we would be different to 2011.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"