Overrated Benji - Nothing has changed

Black & Gold

Overrated Benji - Nothing has changed

Post by Black & Gold » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:46 am

Yes, I'm being critical of Benji Marshall. Yes, I know the unspoken rule of this forum's 'YES MEN' is to never criticise anything about the Wests Tigers. Yes, it can seem the ones that set the rules should be living in censored China or Saudi Arabia where freedom of though and expression is outlawed. No, I'm no sheep and never have been so I will speak my mind.

My Benji criticisms don't stem from one lame and pathetic All Stars display. For the last 5 years, I have been posting that, OVERALL, outside the occasional flashes of brilliance, Benji is overrated, makes too many mistakes, has a horrible kicking game, is selfish on and off the field, is too arrogant, paid wwaayyy too much, picks the wrong play options and has lost a tonne of speed.

He is a good marketing tool because he gets accolades from the media he doesn't deserve and is overrated but as his form dips even further and people start to realise he's not what he's cracked up to be, his marketability will diminish too. Either give the guy a pay cut in his next contract so we can attract another big name player or don't re-sign him. Benji is the one going on the footy show telling everyone who cares to listen that the salary cap needs to increase to look after the players earning $60k to $70k, so do you think he will put a cap on how much more money he wants in his next contract negotiations or leave some cap space for the little guy? LoL

Back to his on field performances....He's been below par for years! Without Robbie, our team is a mess! That's reality! We will struggle this year because our back row is weak, don't have a decent fullback (lets hope Tedesco is what we all hope he will be...Hope Moltzen doesn't start), and our props aren't damaging runners...Also, for a team that is supposed to be attack minded, how do we have Galloway in the team? The guy takes an hour to get up and play the ball.

Apart from the YES MEN here in this forum, most people I talk to about rugby league share the same sentiments about Benji and his lack of form.

Reality people!

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:54 am

so you're saying that Robbie is the man to take us to the next level?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:57 am

In 2012 the tigers played rubbish but 90% of our line breaks were made by Marshall or were a result of a Marshall pass. His kicking game was way better in 2012 than previous seasons,long and short.

Npw in saying all that I agree he has lost that once explosive speed, he has never been a great defender and tends to play of the cuff rather than to a well planned structure. Benji was and never will be in the class of Thurston or Locky but Iam willing to give him another couple of months before I start asking questions.I think the main thing to remember, if he dosnt put the try on, who else is going to do it???????

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:01 am

Gee settle down B & G. You're hardly the first or only person to criticise Benji. There are a number of past and present threads on the topic. I think you'd find that overall the feeling on the forum was that Marshall was a disappointment last year. Whether you can extend that to cover the last five years I'm not sure.

Oh and disagreeing with you doesn't make them a yes man or a sheep either it means they hold a different opinion.

Tigerspirit

Post by Tigerspirit » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:05 am

Totally agree with Black and Gold, Marshall needs to lose 15kgs and risk injury rather than be big and slow, speed was his x factor.
Dont understand how paid trainers can't see this????

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:06 am

I think Black & Gold is also including the dissapointing Saturday night as well - the first game of 2013. In other words Benji was consistent in form from previously. I think he is saying that nothing has changed. But he hasnt answered my question yet.

seadoggy

Post by seadoggy » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:18 am

All Benji has to do is start engaging the defensive line. Instead of running crossfield (sometimes he is veering across even before he gets the ball) and dumping the ball off to a confused support standing still and getting belted, he needs to take the ball forward, engage the defender, then either pass to a deeper support (he can do this at once or veer across field, the difference is the defender has to come out of the line to challenge him as he has started to move forward) or take the line on himself. He will get belted a bit more often but he will be offering up variety, at the moment all the defensive line has to do is move up and stand in one line, they know he is not going to run it. RUN THE BALL BENJI - that is what made you most effective when you first came into the game. At the moment you are trying to play the game like an NFL quarterback, you are doing anything to avoid the collision.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:21 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:I think Black & Gold is also including the dissapointing Saturday night as well - the first game of 2013. In other words Benji was consistent in form from previously. I think he is saying that nothing has changed. But he hasnt answered my question yet.
Look guys, I'm quoting myself - can you lose points for that?

The thing is last Saturday night it is fair to say that Thurston, Barba & Marshall all played consistantly.

Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:24 am

To AMEX - How can you criticise anyone for form over one game? His performance in the All Star game was dismal but my opinion is over a 5 year period....Did you really think anyone would suggest getting rid of him over one game? LoL

Your question about whether I think Robbie will take us to the next level.....uumm......yes.....You dont agree?

Yossarian - The majority of people hold a different opinion because they are programmed to believe what they are told....Very clear for all to see in this forum alone.....

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:28 am

Black & Gold wrote: Yossarian - The majority of people hold a different opinion because they are programmed to believe what they are told....Very clear for all to see in this forum alone.....
Seriously get a grip. The whole "anyone who doesn't agree with me is programmed/a sheep/a yes man" is just insulting. Give your opinion, let others hold theres. If you want to criticise others criticise the content of what they're saying. Starting a discussion by calling anyone who disagrees you clueless is not a great opening.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:29 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:I think Black & Gold is also including the dissapointing Saturday night as well - the first game of 2013. In other words Benji was consistent in form from previously. I think he is saying that nothing has changed. But he hasnt answered my question yet.
Look guys, I'm quoting myself - can you lose points for that?
As long as its not to put x2 in your should be sweet! ;)

Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:43 am

Yossarian wrote:
Black & Gold wrote: Yossarian - The majority of people hold a different opinion because they are programmed to believe what they are told....Very clear for all to see in this forum alone.....
Seriously get a grip. The whole "anyone who doesn't agree with me is programmed/a sheep/a yes man" is just insulting. Give your opinion, let others hold theres. If you want to criticise others criticise the content of what they're saying. Starting a discussion by calling anyone who disagrees you clueless is not a great opening.

Really? So, for example, when talkback radio runs an agenda on, lets say anti Aboriginal or anti Multiculturalism or anti Islamic issues etc etc, you think that the majority of listeners aren't subconsciously developing an opinion that is in line with what they are programmed to think? This can be said of any media...not just talkback radio but tv and forums too. Not saying that there is an agenda on this forum, im simply saying that the majority of people will blindly support the view of the club, moderators or admins.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:44 am

over rated is a funny concept.
For instance I think Thurston is over rated because he is regarded the best player in the world imohe is about the 3rd best player in the world , still think he is amazing.
maybe by that definition he is over rated cause he is definitely a media darling but to suggest he is rubbish is absurd last year even way down on form struggling with the organising part of is role he led the league in try and line break assists.
in 2010 he was amazing and a worthy recipient of the golden boot.
Benji is a quality player who is enigmatic and makes too many mistakes he also has moments of genius he is far from the muppet you make him out to be

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:47 am

Black & Gold wrote:To AMEX - How can you criticise anyone for form over one game? His performance in the All Star game was dismal but my opinion is over a 5 year period....Did you really think anyone would suggest getting rid of him over one game? LoL

Your question about whether I think Robbie will take us to the next level.....uumm......yes.....You dont agree?

Yossarian - The majority of people hold a different opinion because they are programmed to believe what they are told....Very clear for all to see in this forum alone.....
Sorry you've lost me. Who do i criticize when in fact you admit to it in your first few words. Please dont mistake observance for criticizing. Im trying to understand you but you seem to be on a different plane.

Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 11:58 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:
Black & Gold wrote:To AMEX - How can you criticise anyone for form over one game? His performance in the All Star game was dismal but my opinion is over a 5 year period....Did you really think anyone would suggest getting rid of him over one game? LoL

Sorry you've lost me. Who do i criticize when in fact you admit to it in your first few words. Please dont mistake observance for criticizing. Im trying to understand you but you seem to be on a different plane.
I was answering your question in general terms and not directly asking you a question. what im saying above is that I wouldnt dream of judging someone based on only one game and my opinion is over a 5 yr period. Then, Im bemused that you would think anyone would judge someone's ability because of one game....

[edited by Mods]

willow

Post by willow » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 12:05 pm

You're entitled to your opinion B&G, but the thinly veiled swipe at the moderators and administrators who volunteer their time and effort to keep this place running for members like you, is uncalled for and unappreciated.

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 12:53 pm

I think Benji is more concerned about his media career.

I used to support him all the time but his great performances now are so few and far between he is no where near the player everyone builds him up to be.

Consistency is his problem and his style of play will be reason why his consistency is unlikely to improve.

I know he creates a lot of line breaks and sets up a lot of try's and thats all great but time has come now for everyone to rate him overall and not for those one off miracle plays for which is the only reason people remember him for.

His errors needs to be remember,, So does his defence.

I am hoping he proves me completely wrong.

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 1:02 pm

willow wrote:You're entitled to your opinion B&G, but the thinly veiled swipe at the moderators and administrators who volunteer their time and effort to keep this place running for members like you, is uncalled for and unappreciated.
The swipe was hardly thinly veiled, Willow! I agree with you - B&G and anyone else is entitled to an opinion and to express it here and anywhere else they choose. However, I for one, take exception to B&G's assertion that most of us here on the forum are incapable/unwilling to formulate our own opinion or unwittingly being led blindly by others into following theirs.
For the record, I have often thought that the Tigers would function better with a more 'traditional' 5/8th than Benji - someone a game plan could actually be built around. (But then he goes and does something outrageously brilliant and I find myself thinking that we should put up with the 'diamonds and rocks' that is Benji Marshall).