Defence Concerns

ImageImageImage
Dr Ice

Defence Concerns

Post by Dr Ice » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:59 pm

Great to get the 2 points, however probably even more concerned about our defence than the Newcastle game.

Our defence was very poor in Round 1 however at least we had some excuse that we had little possession.

This week we had 70% of the ball in the first half and and 5-0 penalties yet Parra were still unlucky not to score 2 tries. First chance at our end Allgood dropped the ball over the line, then just before half time Farah saved us by just stopping Loko. Our lead could have been just 6 points going into half time despite all our possession.

Things just got worse in the second half. The broke our defensive line easily several times. We were just lucky we were gifted our 2 second half tries or it may have been a very embarrasing loss.

Hopefully it is just taking time to get used to our new defensive structure under Potter, however it is looking very familiar!!!

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:21 pm

Defending close to the line, I think our defence is much better this year. But the 1st and 3rd Parramatta trys showed some concerning defensive issues.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:23 pm

Parra rolled through us in the second half , we have a small forward pack and an inexperienced front row

Main causes in my opinion

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:31 pm

The Lawrence/Korobeite edge certainly has cause for concern, they must improve greatly or else we'll concede heavily against the good sides I.E. Manly & Melbourne whom we play in the next two weeks.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:46 pm

Dr Ice, You are seeing the game from a defensive perspective when in the first half you should have highlighted the Attacking flaws which if they had not occurred means that we lead by 30 at half time. See Doc, the boys are learning to be less extravagent. That first half was the result of serious discipline at training since a short turn around from Sunday and I sensed a reluctance to be exapnsive like they did against Penrith with lots of no lookers. But we had Parra on toast but couldn't convert - why? 'cos we were betwixt and between! Look - we scored 3 tries from close range - there wasn't a long range try on offer in the first half - No Korobeite runs at all other than up the middle with kick returns. But anytime we got near their line we scored - well that's what it seemed like...in fact we wasted many chances with rushed plays. So whilst our pressure sapped Parra's energy in the first half we couldn't convert to an unbeatable score. In fact Parra ended up scoring the same points as us in the first half!
The second half was all about control - Parra had to score first to stay in the game and yes we were pressured and they put one on us. It's amazing how a goal kicker can keep a side in the game - Sandow did it 3 times from wide out. Remember Ch9 wondered why Benji took the shot at 6-0 when we had Parra down and out at 3 consecutive sets? We are now playing a different game plan - the old Tiges would have gone for broke. Which successful coach said take em when you can get em - was it Jack Gibson? Wayne Bennett? How important was that kick given that Benji misses a conversion? Imagine the score is 28 -18 instead of 30-18 and a field goal seals the game? 29-18 is no good if Parra score twice, convert and win 30-29. I am beginning to like this Mr Potter's style.
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 2:06 am

I think the restructure when Koroibete went off affected the defense. The first try and Sandow break came when Miller was defending in the centers. Did this happen all night?

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 7:26 am

Just remember too they got a lot more ball in the second half as the ref evened up the penalty count.

Also it was really hot and sweaty wether out thier last night and not a whisper of breeze - the ball would have been slippery and so would have been the jerseys (mine was and I was only watching). Also it is still early in the year so defences are going

Also the Bulldogs without a swingle attacking threat in thier squad really without Barba , Graham or kasiano put 18 on Melbournes much vaunted defence

We let 18 in but Sandow and Hayne are always going to make an impact and the game was won by the time they scored

coopy

Post by coopy » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 7:59 am

With the new play the ball interpretation possession will lead to momentum and momentum will generally lead to points. last night's game was a game of two halves. In the first half the tigers had the possession and dominated in the send half Parramatta had it.

There were a couple of bad read that lead to tries (Miller on Blair) or lazy defence lapses which lead to breaks but on the whole it wasn't dissimilar to the profile of many games

monkey

Post by monkey » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 8:18 am

I hope we don't flick the switch with 20 to go if we are up against manly cause they will put points on

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 8:21 am

Were defending way better then last year the scarey bit is were not even close to our best i like our kick chase and smashing teams in defence i cant wait until Mick potter signs props for next year i think we will be top 8 team for years to come.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 9:16 am

From my position we started giving line breaks when the players stopped defending as a unit and a guy rushed out.

That all said I believe we are best served by always having Blair or Bell on the field to control that centre field. Their technique seems to get slower PTB's and that is where we look our best.

It will come with time

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:35 am

Not worried at all it will come in time .

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:43 am

Much better line speed and kick chase in the 1st half.
Our bench should be used better, Ava could handle more minutes, as well as BMM and Pettybourne.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:47 am

parra gave us that game last night, they were better in attack than us and considering how much ball we had they defended better, they lost it with silly errors.
we are still running one out, and the defence at times is hairy fair at best.
potter seems to have just run with sheens game plan, dont see much different other than early kicking.he said he has worked hard in the off season on defence please show where.
his use of the bench was strange, ava got all of 14 mins, and BMM was not used till late, and pettybourne looks so unfit.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 11:32 am

I thought our defence was appalling in the last 30min as much as anyone but compared to last season we HAVE made improvement. Avg missed tackles is now 31 compared to 36. Not great at all but still something. We just need to tighten up that last 20min of our games defensively. Usually we start strong in defence and working it to their end of the field but can't finish it off nearly as well.

Gonna have to lift to a whole new level to compete with manly
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Blotto

Post by Blotto » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 4:29 pm

When the Tigers attack gets a bit more potent and the errors and some of the silly penalties are reduced (you never get rid of them) this will ease the pressure on the defence till they get up to speed and an instinctive understanding of where the cover needs to be (Storm have one of the best to aspire to, but even they struggle early season with all the new players learning the pace of their play and systems)
It was nice to see Benji's kick & run and hopefully that will now kick start his season fully.
The Tigers will get better as the season progresses but will hit hiccups along the way like the next game where Manly who have hit their straps early season will be too hard a game for Tigers to win, optimistically keeping within 2-3 trys will be a bonus!

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 6:23 pm

Parra handed us that game on a platter they practically gave us 2 tries and the others we just crashed through them close to the line. Once we got in front by a few we started pushing our luck and let them back in it. We still can't put a game away or play for 80min.

Shooshmeister

Post by Shooshmeister » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 1:13 am

TIGER wrote:Parra handed us that game on a platter they practically gave us 2 tries and the others we just crashed through them close to the line. Once we got in front by a few we started pushing our luck and let them back in it. We still can't put a game away or play for 80min.
Agreed.