Teddy ,shades of Hodgo

ImageImageImage
Love the WestsTigers

Re: Teddy ,shades of Hodgo

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sat 25 May, 2013 5:44 pm

jimmyz wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
jimmyz wrote:he will be nothing more than an average first grader, to many people on here think the sun shines out of his arse when he really hasn't shown anything in attack makes to many errors and is always fallen over his own feet.
You sound jealous
not jealous mate just realistic he has shown sweet FA,if it was moltzen you would be all over him,you just keep stroking him mate.
Thats being rude.
People are judged on their merits and Molzten never put his body on the line and put that sort of effort in.
Molzten is a good player but he is too self conservative. Teddy on the other hand wore his heart on his sleeve last night guarding his line. If you dont think he is player in the making then i guess thats your opinion but most of us can see his determination and effort.

Good we dont have Rep Points, this bloke would have been killed with all the dislikes

Nate DAWG

Post by Nate DAWG » Sat 25 May, 2013 5:47 pm

jimmyz wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
jimmyz wrote:he will be nothing more than an average first grader, to many people on here think the sun shines out of his arse when he really hasn't shown anything in attack makes to many errors and is always fallen over his own feet.
You sound jealous
not jealous mate just realistic he has shown sweet FA,if it was moltzen you would be all over him,you just keep stroking him mate.
He is a rookie with heaps of promise and ability.He may go on and become a Wests Tigers legend or go through a rough patch and disappear, who knows. But supporters will and should always look at the young blood coming through and have opinions and high hopes that they fulfil their promise. To say that he hasn't shown anything in attack is a bit harsh, when you consider how innefective our halves have been this year.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 25 May, 2013 5:51 pm

stevetiger wrote:I think he is close to having a break out game or two. I don't see him as a high level rep player to be fair though. I don't think he is in the Slater, Inglis, Hayne or Dugan class.

I really like him though. He comes across to me as a gutsy player that gives his all and will be extremely solid. I think he should be our fullback for a long time assuming no other gun comes through our juniors. I don't see it happening though because I think he is a special player. He won't be as elusive as Hodgo or as skillful but he will be bigger and tougher and hopefully just as good. I rate Hodgo as a great player.

He won't be any tougher than Hodgo. Not possible.....Hodgo NEVER EVER shied away from anything on the field in his time with us. Hopefully Teddy will be as good as Hodgo but it is a big ask. Hodgo had it all, great last-line defence, excellent attack and support play and a demon goal-kicker as well....the complete package.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 25 May, 2013 7:58 pm

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Put his body on the line, came up with a try saver and was generally safe. Not the type of conditions to suit his running game, but he's a potential star. I'd really like to see how he goes behind a consistently dominant forward pack.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 25 May, 2013 11:35 pm

I like Tedesco, think he'll be a very good player, don't see much hodgo in him.
like all rookies he still needs to work on some things, how far he gets will depend on how much he improves those areas

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Sun 26 May, 2013 6:32 am

I'd have to agree with jimmyz, I simply don't rate Tedesco to be honest. Would like to be proven wrong but from what I can see, but he is still too lean for FG and lacks vision in certain areas.

After watching Moylan from the Panthers, I can definitely say that kid has potential.

And I'm saying all this as a fullback and anti-Moltzen club member as well.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 26 May, 2013 1:07 pm

ragedmachine wrote:I'd have to agree with jimmyz, I simply don't rate Tedesco to be honest. Would like to be proven wrong but from what I can see, but he is still too lean for FG and lacks vision in certain areas.

After watching Moylan from the Panthers, I can definitely say that kid has potential.

And I'm saying all this as a fullback and anti-Moltzen club member as well.
Moylan is a couple of years older than Tedesco and has gone through NYC played a year in NSW cup and is now coming into 1st grade following the same path as Cherry-Evans and Josh Reynolds.

Lets see how Tedesco is going in a couple of years when he has the same experience level as Moylan and his body has matured and become used to playing against men.

Tedesco, Sirro and Noffa are all going through a quick learning curve...20's to NRL is a big jump and they are all still eligible for NYC.
It will naturally take time but if he stays injury free at age 22 and behind a winning team Tedesco will be streets ahead of Moylan.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sun 26 May, 2013 6:26 pm

I think those with doubts over Tedesco are fair enough. However I think those doubts arise from the fact that he's still working his way back from that serious injury. It's clear to see that it still lingers in the back of his mind. I think though that the more confidence he gains, such as from wins and performances like that of Friday night, he will get better and with it I reckon he'll be a step closer to breaking out and moving beyond that concern with his knee.

They also reckon it takes 12-18 months to fully overcome a knee reco. I'll reserve judgement for quite a while yet then.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 26 May, 2013 7:31 pm

I thought Teddys positional play on Friday night was poor and has been most of the season,but that will come with experience. If Moltzen was fully fit,he would have to be picked as our no1 on what we have seen this year, but that is not the case so Teddy has the best part of a season to make the no1 his own.

I think the bottom line he has the ability and has that little bit of class, the experience will come and lets face it, playing in this side he will get asked plenty of questions.

Just one last thing,Potter and others have been critical he has been to quite and not barking at the troops getting the defensive line set, well on Friday night he shouted himself hoarse.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sun 26 May, 2013 7:43 pm

To early to judge.Good apprentice at this stage especially considering his set back

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 26 May, 2013 9:23 pm

It takes 2 years to get back to as close as you can be after a knee reconstruction. That's why Moltzen was looking better this season.
Tesdesco looks sharp and evasive. I think he has some more work to go on the defensive aspect of things. Kick positioning and just reading the opposition play-maker but that will come with experience.
For me not seeing much of him there are some promising signs.

alex

Post by alex » Sun 26 May, 2013 9:56 pm

Agreed that Moylan looks very promising. At the moment he's streaks ahead of Tedesco. Once again we see the value of developing these youngsters correctly and not rushing them from U20s into FG. I don't want to see Brooks and Moses handled incorrectly.

coopy

Post by coopy » Sun 26 May, 2013 10:33 pm

Goose wrote:I like Tedesco, think he'll be a very good player, don't see much hodgo in him.
like all rookies he still needs to work on some things, how far he gets will depend on how much he improves those areas
Yep I agree. Hodgo played like another half and was very good at ball distribution. I don't see that yet in Teddy - he reminds me more of a young Karmichael Hunt - very good defensively and kick returns with little thought of self preservation. I think his attacking game will develop with time and confidence (at least he puts himself in the position to back-up the ball carrier).

I loved Hodgo however I do think some people are seeing his career in rose coloured glasses. I agree he was excellent under the high ball, positioned himself well and added another dimension to the backline. He was as brave as I have seen but due to his size he was often pushed off in defence and was dominated while returning the ball. Please note that I am not knocking him just wanting to put some of the comparisons in perspective.

For what its worth, I reckon Teddy will be the number 1 fullback in the game in time.

TJL

Post by TJL » Mon 27 May, 2013 4:28 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:
TJL wrote:I'd still take Hodgo over him anyday.
Is it because Hodgo could kick goals too ?
Teddy has a similar running style to Slater which is way different to Hodgos but the thing Teddy and Hodgo both have is courage. They are not scared to put their body on the line
I respect this, thats what a FB should be made of.

So far so good Teddy, keep it up.. Everyone here is proud of the effort you are putting in.
Teddy is only a young bloke totally unproved and Hodgo is still kicking arse in SL at 35. Why Teflon Tim let Hodgo go to be replaced by Moltzen we'll never know. I'd have played Hodgo until he was that old he couldn't even walk.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 May, 2013 10:26 am

alex wrote:Agreed that Moylan looks very promising. At the moment he's streaks ahead of Tedesco. Once again we see the value of developing these youngsters correctly and not rushing them from U20s into FG. I don't want to see Brooks and Moses handled incorrectly.
I think you're ignoring the fact that Panthers had Coote and Gordon ahead of Moylan over the past seasons. It's easy to slow-burn your juniors when you have depth and they aren't about to get pinched by other clubs.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 27 May, 2013 6:14 pm

Teddy has been playing behind a pack (and team) that for the most part has been dominated this season. Once we get our full compliment back and hopefully build a more dominant pack next season and beyond we will start to see him shine with his backing up through the middle of the field which is his strength. He is coming along well for a bloke who has had a serious knee injury and is playing behind an inferior side ATM. Plays with plenty of ticker which is a great sign.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 28 May, 2013 10:53 pm

alex wrote:Agreed that Moylan looks very promising. At the moment he's streaks ahead of Tedesco. Once again we see the value of developing these youngsters correctly and not rushing them from U20s into FG. I don't want to see Brooks and Moses handled incorrectly.
I have seen alot of Moylan over the years, he is currently in career best form and isn't that good a player, we are seeing the best of him.
I like the bloke and he has always had a terrific attitude, he won't go on to be a star.
The kid in their 20's keiran moss is outstanding