Time for the Coach to man up !

ImageImageImage
happy tiger

Re: Time for the Coach to man up !

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 9:50 am

Rob86a wrote:
Tigerpete wrote:I don't buy anyone's criticism of Potter. I think that's looking somewhere we don't need to be looking for problems. There are multiple factors out of Potters control here which in my mind have led to a poor season.

1. Injuries - I don't need to explain it. It's self explanatory. Most injuries have been long term and to key players. And by key players I mean regular first graders.

2. Squad depth - This is perhaps the biggest reason for our struggles this season. I see some are suggesting our injury toll is no worse than last season and that results were better last season under Sheens. That's not entirely true. The injury toll IS worse and has hit the wrong players. It's hit our most experienced players. You only have to look at the average age of the squad some weeks. In fact you could name a stronger team of injured players than you could of players currently playing.
Now another reason to pin point squad depth as an issue is that in the last 2 seasons and most notably this season, our state cup squad has become considerably younger. A lot of the spots have been filled by NYC graduates. This is a direction the club decided to take and it's not necessarily an incorrect one. They just didn't anticipate so many experienced first graders to fall injured and therefore need to use untested players.

3. Potter's late arrival - Potter's late arrival has meant a few things. Firstly the squad is one that he inherits and was really unable to adjust the squad for better or worse in any way at all. Many of the pre season fitness plans were already in place. I've also got no doubt that Potter kept on the current support staff due to the fact that they were already there and time was an issue. It simply made more sense for him to adjust rather than to adjust an entire club so late in the process. I think it's safe to say we'll see some coaching changes at season's end.

4. Player form - This is another reason we can't compare 2012-13. In my opinion key players such as Marshall and Blair who both struggled in 2012 and now 2013, their form has looked worse due to the loss of other experienced squad members such as Ryan, Heighington and Ellis. But for Potter to have to carry these two when the squad was so inexperienced, the injuries only exasperated the problem further. Potter needed these two guys to come good this season due to the youth in the squad and they haven't.

Bottom line for me is that Potter does deserve some blame for our poor season but to suggest he has failed would be a real bad assessment. His hands have been tied behind his back. Criticising him is air enough I can guarantee you that with even half of the issues he's endured this season, we'd be doing a lot better than we are. Fact is this season is dead and buried. The players won't say it publicly and fair enough. But 2013 is a complete trainwreck of a season.
Great post Pete. Really enjoy it when fans put a well thought out post together. I like potter I can see huge improvements in robbie and woods I can see what structures his trying to implement with the cubs. Now that our season is all but over I hope we can blood the future but not sure if we can with the cap. With Simona and braith out for the raiders match Benji won't be dropped and Lawrence will be a straight swap for Simona.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Agree good stuff Pete , but are we sure that Simona and Anasta are out ??

barra

Post by barra » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:02 am

Good post Tigerpete. Potter does have a train wreck on his hands and little of it is his doing. Most of the lounge chair coaches on here (just like the rest of us) have no idea what is going on within yet are happy to judge without having all the evidence.

And re BMM only getting 10mins well that's all he's deserved. He WAS given a starting spot recently and talked up how he would play... guess what same old same old. I did think he was showing glimpses of what he is capable but now I think those glimpses were spikes in actual ability. He, like many other players who have more than 10 games experience, need to man up!

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 1:06 pm

deafd set some people on this forum really need to get there heads out if the sand and start to look around.
what most people want from potter is for him to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough if u dont want to tackle and u dont want to run the ball well theres the coach of the NSW side go shake hands. we all know it is not his team but putting the same side out each week is not doing him any favours. and all the crap about the salray cap, well there are players in the top 25 who have not played at all, use them rather than stivck with the crap that he is playing week in week out.
NOW PLEASE SHOW SOME BALLS MR POTTER AND DROP THAT WASTE OF SPACE BENJI, he was woefull again last night, and if he plays 1st grade next week then potter deserve all the flak that comes his way.
Thats my rant.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 1:12 pm

bp tiger wrote:deafd set some people on this forum really need to get there heads out if the sand and start to look around.
what most people want from potter is for him to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough if u dont want to tackle and u dont want to run the ball well theres the coach of the NSW side go shake hands. we all know it is not his team but putting the same side out each week is not doing him any favours. and all the crap about the salray cap, well there are players in the top 25 who have not played at all, use them rather than stivck with the crap that he is playing week in week out.
NOW PLEASE SHOW SOME BALLS MR POTTER AND DROP THAT WASTE OF SPACE BENJI, he was woefull again last night, and if he plays 1st grade next week then potter deserve all the flak that comes his way.
Thats my rant.
Trouble is the 2nd tier cap. He can only call in players pretty much in the case of injuries at this point. You mention there are players in the top25 that he hasn't used. If so then who? And who would they replace???

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 1:14 pm

Its funny when people complain that certain players should be dropped yet don't name anyone that can replace them.

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 2:16 pm

barra wrote:Good post Tigerpete. Potter does have a train wreck on his hands and little of it is his doing. Most of the lounge chair coaches on here (just like the rest of us) have no idea what is going on within yet are happy to judge without having all the evidence.

And re BMM only getting 10mins well that's all he's deserved. He WAS given a starting spot recently and talked up how he would play... guess what same old same old. I did think he was showing glimpses of what he is capable but now I think those glimpses were spikes in actual ability. He, like many other players who have more than 10 games experience, need to man up!
Last week BMM started against Penrith and he went well, playing longer minutes than ever before. He was thrown into the Brisbane game after all hope was lost but he did tighten up the left side defence. The question has to be, why did Pettybourne start the game ahead of BMM? It didn't take long to see Pettybourne's defensive deficiencies but he was left out there while BMM sat on the bench. Why?

I think Potter will turn out to be a fine coach for us but the bench rotation needs overhauling.