Tedesco puts in five star performance

willow

Tedesco puts in five star performance

Post by willow » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:45 pm

Tigers v Dragons: James Tedesco puts in five star performance as Tigers dominate Dragons

OH LAURIE, you really do have some selection headaches when it comes to the NSW No. 1 jumper.

Two days after Penrith’s Matt Moylan put his hand up for the Blues’ fullback gig, then Brett Stewart did likewise at Brookvale Oval, James Tedesco produced his own impressive Origin audition for the Wests Tigers.

Tedesco scored a try and had a hand in three others as the Tigers ran riot early against St George Illawarra to win 22-4.

It was a shame hundreds of fans were still queuing up outside the Campbelltown car park as Tedesco and his young teammates put on an impressive all-round display.

The action peaked by half-time, with the Dragons finishing yet another match with just four points.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor must be seriously concerned about his side’s predictable attack, and how on earth they can post more points.

On one embarrassing occasion, Jason Nightingale played the ball to himself.

At least fullback Josh Dugan, who was forced to miss Monday night because of an ankle injury — but remains in the box seat to replace Jarryd Hayne as NSW fullback — is tipped to return for the trip to Canberra.

Tigers coach Jason Taylor, however, has a side with no such problems scoring points, especially with Tedesco and halfback Luke Brooks starting to form a handy combination.

Aaron Woods has started the year brilliantly upfront, while they’ve snapped a steal in winger Kevin Naiqama.

If bearded Tedesco can continue his form at the back, NSW coach Laurie Daley will have a huge dilemma before the Origin opener.

Daley rates Tedesco just behind Dugan and Moylan in the pecking order, but that can all change.

Tedesco threw a dummy before he found Naiqama who posted the home side’s opening points.

Five minutes later, Tedesco showed a decent turn of foot to latch on to a Brooks grubber and make it 8-0.

The Dragons enjoyed some good field position, and forced a couple of dropouts courtesy of one of the Tigers’ former favourite sons Benji Marshall.

But the Tigers forced an error through a brilliant hit by Marty Taupau, then continued to march down field on the back of a penalty before a Tedesco cut-out pass put Pat Richards over in the left corner.

Tedesco continued to feature in everything, somehow reaching out to prevent a Gareth Widdop kick for touch from going out, and putting his side on the attack.

Approaching the half-hour, the Dragons had made 100 more tackles than the hosts, and really struggled to contain Tedesco and Brooks.

When Tedesco held up a pass for Tim Simona who eventually put Richards in for a second, the Tigers were as good as home.

Tedesco and the Tigers will face their acid test on Sunday when they take on South Sydney.

While they were entitled to beat a depleted Gold Coast in the opening round — and a Dugan-less Dragons — the Tigers will only make rivals sit up and take notice if they can push the premiers all the way.

For Tedesco, he will do his Origin hopes no harm should he match it against the red-hot Rabbits.

WESTS TIGERS 22 (P Richards 2 K Naiqama J Tedesco tries P Richards 3 goals) bt ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA 4 (D Nielsen try) at Campbelltown Sports Stadium. Referee: Ashley Klein, Adam Gee. Crowd: 11,837.

Angry Tiger 1

Post by Angry Tiger 1 » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:50 pm

The kid is a phenomenon! If he continues like this he may well be the NSW fullback this year. We are so lucky he stayed. I hope we can afford to keep him at this club for good.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:53 pm

I don't want to put the mocker on him, but last yr after he came back from his first injury, you could just sense that it was only a matter of time before he got injured again. I have to say so far in these first two games, i'm getting the exact opposite sense. He seems a lot healthier and fitter. Great to see.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:55 pm

I think Tedesco is a better fullback than Moylan but I think Moylan is an Origin player as well. I'd like to see them both there. Moylan could play anywhere in the backline imo.

Angry Tiger 1

Post by Angry Tiger 1 » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:58 pm

MacDougall wrote:I think Tedesco is a better fullback than Moylan but I think Moylan is an Origin player as well. I'd like to see them both there. Moylan could play anywhere in the backline imo.
Yeah I have actually been wondering whether Tedesco might get a shot on the wing this year if the comp for the NSW fullback remains tight. Might be a good way to blood him.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:03 pm

Angry Tiger 1 wrote:
MacDougall wrote:I think Tedesco is a better fullback than Moylan but I think Moylan is an Origin player as well. I'd like to see them both there. Moylan could play anywhere in the backline imo.
Yeah I have actually been wondering whether Tedesco might get a shot on the wing this year if the comp for the NSW fullback remains tight. Might be a good way to blood him.
Moylan will be playing 5/8 in the future anyway.
Tedesco will get his time, if all thing continue to go the way they are now.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:04 pm

Honestly he has the potential to be the best FB i have ever seen......and i have seen some gooduns.

Fast ,fearless.....can pass and finds ways to stop tries too.

So good!

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:10 pm

He's a hell of a lot like Billy Slater was at his age but has better defence than Slater ever has.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:19 pm

1. Tedesco
6. Moylan
7. Pearce
9. Farah

With a decent forward pack, we would score more points in one game then we did in the whole of the 2014 series.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:22 pm

Reynolds instead of Pearce and I'm alright with it.

Black Orange White

Post by Black Orange White » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:26 pm

The more I watch him and the team the more I'm convinced Tedesco is basically our whole attack and without him we're completely hopeless. He's a gun and I wouldn't take any other fullback over him.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:36 pm

A bit like a young Billy Slater. Speed to burn and a danger all over the park.

Maybe not quite as devestating from the back.

However he would well ahead of Slater in terms of ball playing fullback from when slater was a rookie.

He is a star its simple just got to stay fit.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:37 pm

Can we get any confirmation on how long he's signed for? Pretty poor from the club that no details of this have ever been made public

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:39 pm

Teddy is great but Moylan is ahead of him at the moment. Moylan is a wonderful player.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:41 pm

Our focus atm should just be him staying on the field and winning us games. Worry about Origin later.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:42 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:Teddy is great but Moylan is ahead of him at the moment. Moylan is a wonderful player.
Agreed. Moylan threw down the gauntlet this week and Teddy responded in kind. Should make for some interesting future battles - they're both great to watch, with Moylan still ahead at this stage.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:42 pm

teddy would be better at centre than wing. wasted out there imo

played centre in the RLWC for italy, they beat england with him at centre mini at FB.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:47 pm

agree Moylan is a future representative 6.......disagree we are one dimensional...once nofo comes back we will hav some weapons; him, Simona, the halves, the 9, the backrow, the front row.