Tigers "not as bad as it looks": Taylor

willow

Post by willow » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:06 pm

Sat 23 May, 2015, 10:49pm
By Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has defended his troops by labelling their 8-0 loss to the Cowboys and the situation they are currently facing "not as bad as it looks".

Despite falling to their seventh loss in nine games against a Cowboys team who were missing Origin quartet Johnathan Thurston, Michael Morgan, James Tamou and Matt Scott, Taylor defended the path the Tigers were currently travelling.

Despite making 51 tackles less than their opponents, Taylor said the Tigers' defensive patterns have put a strain on their attack.

"We can't go the other way around either, we can't say let's throw the ball around and hope to get some points and we know that when we tire we'll let some in but hopefully we've scored enough," Taylor said.

"That's been the motto at Wests Tigers for a long time, they're the facts. But it hasn't worked since 2005 and we're about changing that. We are heading down the path of changing and regardless of the team we played, we conceded one try and our defence was probably the best it's been all season.

"We have some challenges ahead for us, we have to be head down, bum up and working really hard, but it's not as bad as it looks is my message to our boys. We made some improvements, we have a simple goal this season and we did well in regards to that goal. Albeit the result in the end wasn't good enough."

In what was ultimately a scrappy performance from both teams on Saturday night, Taylor acknowledged the game as tough rather than dour and said the Cowboys' lone-try in the 77th minute through Antonio Winterstein was a shining light in an otherwise disappointing evening where the club celebrated 10 years since winning the grand final in 2005.

"We're working really hard to change the way this team plays because we're coming from a long way behind, in regards to matching it with the best teams in the competition and one try against us was a major positive for us," Taylor said.

"That's what we're working towards, that's the path we're on. We're on the path to toughening up as a team and you say dour but you could easily say tough – we toughed it out better than what we have done in most of our games this season.

"Last year we were dead last in defence and the only reason we weren't bottom of the ladder overall was because there was some attacking ability in this team. You can't come last and be anywhere near the top eight so we're on the path to changing the way we play.

"Is that going to happen this year where we can get ourselves into the top eight? I'm not sure but we're on that path and the plan is to stick to it."

Taylor was unsure of how severe the ankle injury to Tim Simona was, after the centre failed to return after halftime in his first game back since injuring the same ankle in the Pacific Test three weeks ago.

"We're not sure, we were hopeful he'd come back out after half-time but he didn't," Taylor said. "Tim obviously had an ankle injury recently, it's the same ankle and a similar injury but not exactly the same in that his ankle twisted the other way."

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:11 pm

OH Oh...grabs popcorn..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:11 pm

The attacking ability that they had in the team last year was given the option to pack his bags and go to Canberra with a year to go on his contract. He is now close to becoming an Origin player. If he was still here we would have got the two points tonight.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:14 pm

If Taylor can takes some positives out of the last two weeks, than we really do have some problems. Tonight was a new low for me and I think over the next few months it is going to get a lot uglier

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:15 pm

Taylor is living a fantasy and being paid for it.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:16 pm

Looking at Talyor in the press conference was a man under the pump ,a politician that no matter what just keep talking the same rubbish every week a totally negative vibe IMO.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Taylor's a knob , it can't be all about defence .
We can't hit the ball up one out 5 times and put up a Bomb and expect the other team to make mistakes .

They're has to be some creativity in attack ,
At the moment we have nothing !

At this rate they'll only be Taylor and Kidwell watching them play ...

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:18 pm

I'd have an easier time believing a PM telling the nation the economy is as strong as it's ever been right in the middle of a recession over this garbage.

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:18 pm

I thought the idea of the game was to score more points than the opposition....

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:19 pm

Wont be long before he has a brain explosion at someone. I reckon he has got that in him. Fact is Jason scoring 0 points is a duck egg you cant hide from mate. He tries to deflect it but it wont solve the problem. Looks like he have another stubborn coach who cant admit when they need tot tinker. Too much ego.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:20 pm

As I posted after the Newcastle game, another coach's loss. Truly truly pathetic. I can barely bring myself to watch that garbage. I feel extremely sorry for the players. Even Tedesco, our one truly class player on the field tonight is starting to look like a mug.

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:21 pm

http://m.nrl.com/rd-11-press-conference ... fault.aspx

wow wasn't expecting that.

Suppose what he is saying is true our defence has been appalling....

The south's v parra game souths played a very similar game that tigers did tonight but difference is that south's had the talent to bring it home.

If we can buy some talent for next year we will win some games.

I know it's hard to be patient this season tho.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:28 pm

"Despite falling to their seventh loss in nine games against a Cowboys team who were missing Origin quartet Johnathan Thurston, Michael Morgan, James Tamou and Matt Scott, Taylor defended the path the Tigers were currently travelling".

So I guess we weren't missing anyone then??? God I hate it when these articles can only see one side of the story!

As for Taylor's comment that it's not as bad as it looks - sorry mate, but it is and until you're prepared to admit it, the team will not improve.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

littletiger

Post by littletiger » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:36 pm

Flippedy wrote:"Despite falling to their seventh loss in nine games against a Cowboys team who were missing Origin quartet Johnathan Thurston, Michael Morgan, James Tamou and Matt Scott, Taylor defended the path the Tigers were currently travelling".

So I guess we weren't missing anyone then??? God I hate it when these articles can only see one side of the story!

As for Taylor's comment that it's not as bad as it looks - sorry mate, but it is and until you're prepared to admit it, the team will not improve.
Yeh your right.

poor writing.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:42 pm

Lol you cannot compare who both sides had out . They had their from row and both halves out. One of whom is the best in the game. They were massively disadvantaged, to argue anything othwise is absolute ignorance.

the third

Post by the third » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:48 pm

We had great defence against a team with no playmaker.... Whoop di doo.

The real problems start next year. This style of play and his coaching will impact both our ability to attract members and also decent players on the right coin. Won't matter who we can afford - why would they want to play this style? Who if the 8200 brave souls will be thinking twice about going next week/year?

If he was serious about changing the structure to stop the ad lib we should be seeing more set plays and attacking structure. Instead we get 5 hit ups and high kick???

No wonder he seemed under pressure at the press conference he has no answers.

Only shining light is we didn't get Brrad Arthur

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:53 pm

If it's not 'as bad' as it looks then it's really much worse....

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 23 May, 2015 11:57 pm

Well we had our entire starting front row out - but that doesn't change the fact the coaching decisions were abysmal.
Why pick Halatau if Brooks needs to play nearly half a game at dummy half.
Why persist with the most boring game plan known to man?
Why continually pick players who are not doing their job?
I can see Brooks and Moses getting hauled over the coals to have the temerity to stray from the plan on the few occasions they did.