Hannant v WHO?

Suzie-Q

Re: Hannant v WHO?

Post by Suzie-Q » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 5:23 pm

westTAHger wrote:what-ever happended to sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me???
far too much political BS involved in anything today.
Couldn't agree more, TAH. Asolutely, PC gone MAD :roll:

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm

Dogs are not pursuing it.

The matter was sorted out in a CEO to CEO phone call.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 8:15 pm

NRL Premiership
Bulldogs not lodging formal complaint over reported slur against Ben Hannant

By David Benuik
April 17, 2010

Canterbury have decided to take no action after Ben Hannant was reportedly the subject of a religious-based verbal attack by Wests Tigers' Bryce Gibbs on Friday night.
The ugly verbal exchange captured by television cameras came after the fulltime siren in the Dogs' 24-4 victory and Hannant, a Mormon, had to be restrained by a Bulldogs trainer.

The Bulldogs could have lodged a formal complaint under the league's vilification code but decided against it.

Hannant and Gibbs both refused to comment after the match.

"I have spoken with both the NRL and Wests Tigers CEO Steve Humphreys today and all parties have agreed to leave the matter on the field,'' Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg said in a statement.

"Neither Ben nor the club will be making any further comments in relation to this matter.''

It has been an eventful few weeks for Test star Hannant, who recently revealed he was homesick for Queensland and wanted out of the final year of his contract with Canterbury, a situation still yet to be resolved.

The NRL treats religious discrimination in a similar vein to on-field racism under its vilification code.

"Anything that happens under the vilification code requires a formal complaint,'' NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

But the culprit could yet be dealt with by the NRL match review committee if it deems a charge can be laid under its rules.

"Obviously there's a match review process that goes on on Monday,'' Annesley said.

"I can't pre-judge anything that might come out of that.''

The Bulldogs notched their second win of the year to finally get their season moving again.
Their only other victory had been the round three 60-14 demolition of the Sydney Roosters and coach Kevin Moore conceded the magnitude of that victory may have given his side a false impression of where they were at.

"Whilst we got away with plenty of points on the board, it was a hot day, the Roosters were probably there for the kill,'' he said.

"Sometimes you just fall into bad form and you can't see it happening - lack of confidence, lack of troops and a bit of cohesion.

"You get it back by starting with attitude and just playing strong and defending strong so hopefully next week we've got to improve on that.

"It was good (against the Tigers) but we certainly need to go to another level again next week and get consistency.''

AAP
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 8:53 pm

While I am a believer in the Stick and Stones philosophy, others are not. Unfortunately in todays world you have to be very careful what you say, as if you get anyone offside it will come back to hurt you.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 9:01 pm

Two of Australia's greatest sportsmen, Mark Waugh and Shane Warne were the best.

Their comments on the field would make this thread look silly.

Nothing was sacred. And it stayed on the field.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

angeman

Post by angeman » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 9:19 am

you can bet though if Ennis made a comment about someone's religion it would have been more evidence of his "toughness"...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:46 am

You can also bet that Ennis makes plenty of comments on the field, only difference though is his targets leave it on the field unlike pedally ben

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 1:04 pm

I defence of Hannant who I have no time for at all, he did just leave this on the field.

Gibbs said something, ok. Hannant fired up, ok. Both walked off and have nothing more to say about it. It is just the NRL posturing and trying not to look weak.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 6:43 pm

I dunno....I know I saw pedally carryin on after the full time whistle, yes, technically theyre ''still on the field'' I guess but game was over.
Its clear Gibbo respects him as a player, wouldnt feel the need to get under his skin if he was a nuffie

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:09 am

and it still rumbles on..it's ridiculous. Today we have news that the NRL are asking for Ch9 for audio of the game, still despite Hannant not making a formal complaint. If they find something and he gets rubbed out i will personally make a trip to the NRL headquarters and demand they look back and investigate Slater and if not will demand answers. I'm deadly serious and if the club do not fight this I will withdraw all support from this competition.

It's just a shocking display of doublestandards as was the incident with Gibbs 8 point try and suspension last year.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 1:12 pm

IronTiger wrote:and it still rumbles on..it's ridiculous. Today we have news that the NRL are asking for Ch9 for audio of the game, still despite Hannant not making a formal complaint. If they find something and he gets rubbed out i will personally make a trip to the NRL headquarters and demand they look back and investigate Slater and if not will demand answers. I'm deadly serious and if the club do not fight this I will withdraw all support from this competition.

It's just a shocking display of doublestandards as was the incident with Gibbs 8 point try and suspension last year.
Exactly. The NRL apparently thinks depression is fair game but religion is not.

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 4:44 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:Religion and race are 'no go' areas fellas.

ALL the players know that. Gibbs is a moron if he went there.
Not only was this comment of yours pure garbage cnx, it has been dismissed by all concerned.

The only moron here is the person/s who reported it. Now it's pretty obvious to me that you are a religious person and thats fine, each to their own. However there are just as many who arent mate and that should be accepted as well.

I played footy on saturday and you wouldn't believe how many times I was called a "white *" during the game. People try and get under your skin mate - you need to stand on your own two feet not go crying to the authorities.

There is a time and place for everything...it's called the carpark and let me tell you it's better than any judiciary you could think of.

Ben Hannant is a sook and he has lost all my respect.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 4:49 pm

Where you playing in the South Sydney Juniors comp stryker?

It was pretty common place when I played there as well a few years ago

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 8:46 pm

even this forum is trying to keep the white man down
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 8:58 pm

No country NSW mate and your right, I've played for a lot of years in a lot of places and it happens everywhere.

Illek

Post by Illek » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:10 pm

I've been called a white ****.......was by my own team mates at the time but :lol: ....

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:12 pm

i cant wait for the day a white fella wants to charge a coloured person with a racial slur
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:32 am

I know of one club who made a formal complaint to Souths Juniors when playing La Perouse.

Constant racial abuse towards the caucasian players from the sidelines and the La Perouse side. The captain complained and the reff told him there was nothing in it.

Young part Chinese fellow played front row for the Mascot club copped it from a fellow in the scrum and said you're people ate my great grandfather refferencing cannibalism and was sent off.

Souths juniors response was a life ban for the Mascot player and nothing else