One Foot in Grave Forum

General Social Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times

One Foot in Grave Forum

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:21 am

I have not reached this category yet but my shonky knees make me feel that 2 legs are almost in there. Retirement agers, God waiting room candidates can honestly boast having seen Reggie Gasiner at his best (and maybe even Donald Bradman, Mohammed Ali and Rocky Marciano). Plus the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, the Kinks - all at their peaks. We can also curse the Monkees and Perry Como as being totally useless.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 7:13 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:I have not reached this category yet but my shonky knees make me feel that 2 legs are almost in there. Retirement agers, God waiting room candidates can honestly boast having seen Reggie Gasiner at his best (and maybe even Donald Bradman, Mohammed Ali and Rocky Marciano). Plus the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, the Kinks - all at their peaks. We can also curse the Monkees and Perry Como as being totally useless.
Wouldn't Gasnier make big dollars these days .

hobbo
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by hobbo » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 7:15 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:I have not reached this category yet but my shonky knees make me feel that 2 legs are almost in there. Retirement agers, God waiting room candidates can honestly boast having seen Reggie Gasiner at his best (and maybe even Donald Bradman, Mohammed Ali and Rocky Marciano). Plus the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, The Doors, the Kinks - all at their peaks. We can also curse the Monkees and Perry Como as being totally useless.
Head up to the Shannon for some medicinal relief !
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 155 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 7:54 am

Piss off, nothing wrong with Perry Como.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 8:59 am

While the monkeys were awful, (my sister was a fan). Mike Nesmith wrote some pretty witty stuff.
Last edited by NT Tiger on Fri 10 Jun, 2016 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 9:01 am

kinks, stones and hendrix were good but you can keep the beatles and the doors. None came close to MOI.
"Quality Stupidity"

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 9:21 am

NT Tiger wrote:kinks, stones and hendrix were good but you can keep the beatles and the doors. None came close to MOI.
The Doors were brilliant as were the Kinks , Stones , JHE and The Beatles

Throw a bit of Cream in there as well and S&G

Juro
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Juro » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:35 am

Oh, there they go! There they go! Every time I start talking about boxing, a white man gotta pull Rocky Marciano outta their ass! That's they one! That's they one! Rocky Marciano! Rocky Marciano! Lemme tell you something once and for all! Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't s***!
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:42 am

And how about Greatful Dead, Janis Joplin, 10 yrs after (Alwin Lee), Allman Bros Band, Taste (Rory Gallagher), Free (Paul Rogers), Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green), Little Feat (Lowell George), Grand Funk, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Mayall, Joni Mirtchell, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Small Faces, Vanilla Fudge, King Crimson, Johnny Winter, Mountain (Leslie West), MC 5, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, The Band (R Robertosn/L Helm) etc.
And re boxing how about Gene Tunnay - a few decades before, but still one of my all tme favorites
And basketball players like Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain?

Juro
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Juro » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:53 am

It's funny, as I've grown older, my taste in music has gone further back in time.

I was born in the 70's, and loved a lot of the current stuff I saw on Countdown as a kid.

In my teen years, I was listening to some 80's music, but started listening more to 60's music.

In my 30's I was listening to more 50's music. Now I'm even listening to music from the 20's to 40's.

I feel like a musical version of Benjamin Button...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

InBenjiWeTrust

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:03 pm

Juro wrote:It's funny, as I've grown older, my taste in music has gone further back in time.

I was born in the 70's, and loved a lot of the current stuff I saw on Countdown as a kid.

In my teen years, I was listening to some 80's music, but started listening more to 60's music.

In my 30's I was listening to more 50's music. Now I'm even listening to music from the 20's to 40's.

I feel like a musical version of Benjamin Button...
same here, spme of my favorites are Billy Eckstine, Nat King Cole, Billy Holiday, Joe Williams and
Tony Bennett :)

NT Tiger

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 1:36 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:And how about Greatful Dead, Janis Joplin, 10 yrs after (Alwin Lee), Allman Bros Band, Taste (Rory Gallagher), Free (Paul Rogers), Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green), Little Feat (Lowell George), Grand Funk, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Mayall, Joni Mirtchell, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Small Faces, Vanilla Fudge, King Crimson, Johnny Winter, Mountain (Leslie West), MC 5, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, The Band (R Robertosn/L Helm) etc.
And re boxing how about Gene Tunnay - a few decades before, but still one of my all tme favorites
And basketball players like Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain?
Captain Beefheart anyone? If you don't know it, treat yourself to the Safe as Milk album.
"Quality Stupidity"

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 2:13 pm

My favourite era for music is the 60s and 70s i am surprised nobody mentioned Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zeppelin,The Animals,Jethro Tull,Santana,Uriah Heep going further back Bessie Smith and Edith Piaf.Look at the rubbish that gets airplay these days.

NT Tiger

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 2:30 pm

Howlin Wolf, Skip James
"Quality Stupidity"

InBenjiWeTrust

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 4:57 pm

jadtiger wrote:My favourite era for music is the 60s and 70s i am surprised nobody mentioned Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zeppelin,The Animals,Jethro Tull,Santana,Uriah Heep going further back Bessie Smith and Edith Piaf.Look at the rubbish that gets airplay these days.
How could I forget The Who o & Uriah Heep (Gypsy Queen) (calcified memory :) )
Also Steppenwolf were big at that time, and a few lesser known Groundhogs (w ex-Mayall guitarist Tony McPhee) and Skid Row, both on the 'progresive rock' side.

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Flippedy » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 10:19 am

@Jadtiger & Inbenjiwetrust - don't forget Yes, Deep Purple and Supertramp :) Early days Elton John with Bernie Taupin also made some great music. And further back some bloke called Elvis wasn't too bad either ;)
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:24 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Captain Beefheart anyone? If you don't know it, treat yourself to the Safe as Milk album.
Ha. I thought that this would be the last place where I'd see someone talking up Beefheart. I like his stuff but it can be off-putting for some.

jadtiger wrote:My favourite era for music is the 60s and 70s i am surprised nobody mentioned Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zeppelin,The Animals,Jethro Tull,Santana,Uriah Heep going further back Bessie Smith and Edith Piaf.Look at the rubbish that gets airplay these days.
I love The Who etc. as much as anyone, but there's plenty of good music around today. It just doesn't get played on the radio.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 11:31 am

My first and hot girlfriend was into Little Egypt but me being a few years younger and still at school did not take advantage of the situation so she found someone a bit older as per that Gary Puckett song.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Return to “General Discussion”